TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Restoration of a 67 Chevy II Nova

Default Restoration of a 67 Chevy II Nova

Hi im new to the site, and love it. i am finding it very informative and re learning alot of things. I am currently restoring a 67 chevy II nova complete. I will be using HOK for paint. I will be posting pics up very soon.. ive done alot of work so far so i will try to catch things up with pics.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickMartin View Post
    Hi im new to the site, and love it. i am finding it very informative and re learning alot of things. I am currently restoring a 67 chevy II nova complete. I will be using HOK for paint. I will be posting pics up very soon.. ive done alot of work so far so i will try to catch things up with pics.

Rick
    Welcome aboard Rick.

I've used HOK on several projects that came out beautiful and I used it on my pickup that has held up well for 15 years so it's good stuff but be sure you protect yourself properly because, like all other two part paint products, it's quite dangerous to spray.

I'm getting a fresh air system before I spray. I will be purchasing your DVD soon. like I said I used to paint a lot in my younger days but havent done any in about 10 years so I need to do some catching up..I will get pics up as soon as I get home from work. Thanks for the welcome Len.

Rick

ok as promised here are some pics of the car.

here is the inline 6 i plan on rebuilding

the floor panel i have to replace

here is my biggest issue so far..this is going to be a challenge..

i will try to put more up later

Rick

here is another issue i have to address

got the rear bumper off

and the rear window

here is a patch i need to weld in

Rick

One or two areas at a time is usually the best approach for someone without a lot of experience. On the patch panels you can either butt weld them or use the backing strip method. Use seam sealer on the backside of the seams that you can reach and use a coat of fiberglass filler or All Metal filler for the first coat on the face of the repair to help seal any pores in the welded seam.

Thanks for you input Len..iwill be butt welding all my patch panels..I have a tonof experience..lol just old school experience..I need to catch up to the times.

Rick

I have a question for you paint experts.. i want to paint the car a 2 tone with a tangerine orange on the bottom and silver on top..my question is i want to spray my engine bay the tangerine orange then clear it..would the paint and clear hold up the the heat of the engine or would i have problems. this car is mainly going to be for shows so it wont be driven much..just to car shows.

Rick

I have a question for you paint experts.. i want to paint the car a 2 tone with a tangerine orange on the bottom and silver on top..my question is i want to spray my engine bay the tangerine orange then clear it..would the paint and clear hold up the the heat of the engine or would i have problems. this car is mainly going to be for shows so it wont be driven much..just to car shows.

Rick
    Unless the painted surface is touching your exhaust system or you have hot exhaust blowing directly onto the painted surface, you should be fine painting the engine compartment with a decent base/clear.

Thanks again Len..no the exhaust is not even close to being near any of the painted surfaces..i was going through some articles last night..has anyone had any experience with water based paint. from what i have read this seems to be the next in thing as far as automotive paint goes.

Rick

Thanks again Len..no the exhaust is not even close to being near any of the painted surfaces..i was going through some articles last night..has anyone had any experience with water based paint. from what i have read this seems to be the next in thing as far as automotive paint goes.

Rick
    Waterborne paint is mostly used where solvents are restricted. It's a little more difficult to dry than solvent based color but it's getting better as the paint companies perfect the paint. Waterborne is almost always used as base coat and the same clears and single stage paint is being used as top coat.

Yeah thats what i thought..think i will stick with my bc/cc style...can i use my forum name to register for the online store or does it have to be a different name.

Rick

Yeah thats what i thought..think i will stick with my bc/cc style...can i use my forum name to register for the online store or does it have to be a different name.

Rick
    It's a separate/different registration.

ok i think i have an account now.

Rick

got some more work done to the nova..will post pics tonight.

Rick