TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: bubbles on fender of truck after repair and painting

Default bubbles on fender of truck after repair and painting

IMAG0100.jpg i had a body shop paint my fender the first time i had to have it redone for free because of bubbles in paint..the second time i had them repair it this is what happened after about 4 months..bubbled paint can you tell me what caused this and how to fix

i might add the 2nd time i had the fender repaired at the dealer i bought the truck from they were building a new place next to the old place alot of construction work well i was supposed to pick truck up after work when i got there there was no one around some inspector guy said they told everyone to leave the building because of air quality my truck was in paint booth..i feel this had something to do with bubbles in paint job on fender..cant get no answers from the place ...the truck has no rust on it what so ever now i have these stupid bubbles..why did they appear after 4 months??

Quote Originally Posted by vandie5 View Post
    i might add the 2nd time i had the fender repaired at the dealer i bought the truck from they were building a new place next to the old place alot of construction work well i was supposed to pick truck up after work when i got there there was no one around some inspector guy said they told everyone to leave the building because of air quality my truck was in paint booth..i feel this had something to do with bubbles in paint job on fender..cant get no answers from the place ...the truck has no rust on it what so ever now i have these stupid bubbles..why did they appear after 4 months??
    Unless the metal has holes in it caused by rust my guess would be that whatever was on the fender before the new paint was applied is lifting causing the bubbles. Was the fender painted before this job?

Default Why...

Why did you have the fender painted in the first place? Was it dented or was it that you bought the truck in perfect condition and 4 months later saw bubbles and that's why you brought it back? How old is this truck; come from a New Car dealer or Used car dealer?

I don't suggest you do this but I'd really like to sand on those spots all the way down to the metal to see what's in there. If the truck is from a new car dealer it could be a trade in (maybe they have service records) or was bought at auction and had body repair done by new or used dealer. There is a contaminant between the metal (in the filler) to the paint. The second time it was painted, someone didn't go far enough to remove the problem. Sanded and painted over it and it came back. Don't waste time because people tend to get deaf, dumb and stupid. I'd park on their doorstep. Let us know.

Henry

yea len they painted it a second time all within 2 weeks,,its a 2006 dodge ram 1500..had the carfax report no accidents or problems..what happen was back in october 2012 i was waxing my truck and when i got to the fender i noticed a point on the paint i took my finger nail and picked it off well i tried fixing it and had it good with touch up paint but it didnt match kept wet sanding and the spot got bigger,,i just couldnt get the paint to match it looked good besides that ...so i took it to the dealers body shop they painted and cleared the whole panel of truck twice,,,im really irratated with them,looks worse now than before they worked on it..another thing is 2 more bubbles appeared in the last two weeks..they just didnt do the job right...

It's rusted out take your finger and pop one of those bubbles you'll find it has water in it.

yea len they painted it a second time all within 2 weeks,,its a 2006 dodge ram 1500..had the carfax report no accidents or problems..what happen was back in october 2012 i was waxing my truck and when i got to the fender i noticed a point on the paint i took my finger nail and picked it off well i tried fixing it and had it good with touch up paint but it didnt match kept wet sanding and the spot got bigger,,i just couldnt get the paint to match it looked good besides that ...so i took it to the dealers body shop they painted and cleared the whole panel of truck twice,,,im really irratated with them,looks worse now than before they worked on it..another thing is 2 more bubbles appeared in the last two weeks..they just didnt do the job right...
    At this point you should probably strip the paint off the entire fender then apply color on the fender and blend the door and clear both panels. Less can be done but it may not last.

Rear box side on the truck? I'm going with rust also sorry to say. Unless they had some weird adhesion issue, but my money is rust popping through from the back side.
    Avid collector of rust!

Default Bandage on an open wound...

If they painted this quarter recently then I'd go back. No one wants to do rust work let alone guarantee it. You can complain and they'll say your problem is growing from under what we did. While that has merit, if the sanded the bad parts down they should have seen rust or rot holes and stopped. Phone you to advise the "root cause" and gave you a price to do it right or just repaint. Only a moron would repaint over rust, rot or other substrate/metal problems.

Can you do this work yourself? Know of any people in the business you can trust? Try to get something back if this dealer just did this work (don't hold your breath) then find anyone reputable. Hit the section yourself with a sander or grinder in a 6 inch area so you can expose the underlying problem. Then take it to a reputable shop or a person or even a backyarder. Show them exactly what you yourself found. You CANNOT just sand this and paint it. There is a problem UNDER that paint that must be repaired.

Many people open a shop and suddenly & magically, like a big chip on their shoulder, they inherit the phrase I am a PROFESSIONAL. Why, because they own a shop? I feel bad that there are shops out there who can bucher a truck like yours and get away with it. Then, they'll swear at the gates of hell, "but I am a PROFESSIONAL. Most couldn't mix latex paint with a stick! Good luck and keep us posted.

Henry