TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New quick project question?

Default New quick project question?

I picked up a 55 VW oval window rag top bug the other day. Someone repainted it, but there are a few spots that need repaired correctly to make it a nice car. I plan on just sanding the clear on most of it and then repainting it. I am worried about the repaired areas. Should I tint the sealer that I will shoot over the repaired areas so that It won't be so hard to cover those repaired areas with paint? Any other secrets for doing this? The color is a metallic silver blue.

Bubbles in the paint like that usually mean that the metal is rusted through and will need repair. I don't think you'll get away with just sanding and repainting.

As far as getting good coverage is concerned it's going to depend on the base coat's characteristics. DuPont Chromabase would probably need a tinted sealer while some other base coats may not. We use Glasurit 55 Line and it's rare that we ever need to apply a tinted sealer.

Because of their shape VW beetles are probably one of the most difficult cars to paint. It's quite tricky to paint the front lid without getting a run right at the front and the where the fenders meet the car also tends to be difficult to get an even/smooth coating.

I agree Len, I will strip the bubbles and probably cut in a piece of metal there. The hood is the only place that has the rust like that. Whoever shot the car before did a horrible job. I will take the hood and decklid off and do a couple repairs. I will look into using Glasurit paint on it. From 10 feet away the cal looks great, but up close you can see all the little dings they missed and dirt everywhere.

As for the run areas on the hood and fenders, I will just shoot lighter coats and make sure I give it enough dry time. I have found out on the 67 Bus I'm shooting right now, that that works best to limit runs. Take my time lol

You can see one of the buses doors in the second picture.