TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Process in painting 67 VW bus. Ideas?

Default Process in painting 67 VW bus. Ideas?

So at this point I have everything shot on the inside of the bus except the cargo floor. My thinking is I will paint the top of the bus and clear, then finish the inside the bus cargo floor. The top has the sun roof, so I can walk on the floor while painting the top of the bus. Once I finish the cargo floor, I was thinking I would wet sand the rest of the outside of the bus and shoot sealer over the whole outside of the bus (I will have finished the top already) then shoot the white basecoat down a little past the belt line, tape off , then shoot the green base coat on the lower section then clear the whole bus from the gutters down.

If I have confused you in anyway just let me know. Please let me know if there is a better way to shoot this? I am OK with my plan, but just checking to see if I am missing something? Thanks

Here is a picture of the dash with single stage on it.

Default Looking Good!

I don't know how long you have to clear over the base coat color but I would probably base AND clear the color around the windows (after base and clear on the roof) then base and clear the lower color.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I don't know how long you have to clear over the base coat color but I would probably base AND clear the color around the windows (after base and clear on the roof) then base and clear the lower color.
    That was my original thinking. I was going to do the base and clear around the windows, wet sand the clear on the belt line with 1000, tape off for green from bottom of belt line down, then uncover the belt line and blend clear onto it. I would keep the white above the belt line covered. The center of the belt line has a molding going down the center of it around the bus, so I felt that it would be a good blending spot?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    That was my original thinking. I was going to do the base and clear around the windows, wet sand the clear on the belt line with 1000, tape off for green from bottom of belt line down, then uncover the belt line and blend clear onto it. I would keep the white above the belt line covered. The center of the belt line has a molding going down the center of it around the bus, so I felt that it would be a good blending spot?
    That sounds good but I don't think that you'll have enough room to blend on that narrow band, you may want to sand further up on the white so you have more room to blend.

Maybe sand up a foot or so into the window pillers?