TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many coats of clear coat do you apply?

Default how many coats of clear coat do you apply?

i was just wondering after watching a video of the filler trick to get runs out, the bloke said he shot 9 coats, i think that's loads, i only apply 2 coats of clear to normal jobs, how many does everyone else apply, im not talking classics or show jobs just standard quick repairs, but just being curious how many do you do on show pieces?

Rich

For regular repair work with a high solids clear(I assume thats what you mean by lacquer,nobody uses lacquer anymore) I apply 2 coats.If I am going to sand and buff I will either do 2 coats in 2 different applications to get it really flat or 3-4 coats at once to sand and buff.
    I have had better luck putting on 2 coats,sanding it flat and then applying 2 more coats.As long as you have a clean environment I think doing it this way looks better than a sand and buff and your not constantly chasing scratches and swirls IMO.

Here too. I do 2 coats on collision work and 3-4 on stuff I will cut and buff. I have tried doing 3 coats and sanding smooth, then adding a couple more and it didnt seem any better than 3-4 for me. But I always cut and buff when im done with show cars.

A properly done flowcoat, beats a cut and buff job anyday.Cut and buffed show cars don't impress me,they always have swirls and sand scratches,and if they don't wait awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M View Post
    A properly done flowcoat, beats a cut and buff job anyday.Cut and buffed show cars don't impress me,they always have swirls and sand scratches,and if they don't wait awhile.
    If you have a good forced rotation orbital like the Makita B6040 and you use polish that doesn't have a lot of lubricant in it I think you'll find that you're wrong on this issue.

Its not the lubricant its the fillers,they just don't last.I have been to many shows and even a couple of big ones like sema and its always the same.One or two have spectacular finishes and all the rest have some of the issues I have mentioned.

I can understand your point of view, I was of the same mind until I became friends with Robert our resident "detailer to the stars". He turned me on to buffing perfection. He runs over most jobs with a rotary like the Makita 9227 then finishes it with the B6040 and uses either Sure Finish or Wizard's Mystic Cut. It was a step above the finishes I was accustom to producing for my first thirty years of polishing. That B6040 is the real trick.

Ive never been able to get a perfectly dirt/dust free job (among other things) to not cut and buff. But I have cut and buffed enough to know I have never had a problem with scratches and swirls.

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
    Ive never been able to get a perfectly dirt/dust free job (among other things) to not cut and buff. But I have cut and buffed enough to know I have never had a problem with scratches and swirls.
    Jayson is right up to the part where you remove the finest of scratches (swirls) because, in most cases, they are NOT removed they are just covered with lubricant or wax that makes the surface appear perfect. After the job is out of the shop for a couple weeks and it's been washed a couple times the swirls or haze will reappear as the wax or oil goes away. So you take the finish one step further with the B6040, I wish I had it's distributor because I'd be selling them.

Yeah what you guys are saying makes sense, just I really never noticed much difference. I do agree that cars do look sweet before they get sanded. I hope someday I can get into a really nice booth where I can get a dust free finish. And I hope by then I have perfected my spray and can get it flat enough too. Ugh....I better go into work tomorrow. Practice...practice...practice.

So you take the finish one step further with the B6040
    Len, what is this B6040 you are speaking of....

--
    Gordon

Default See it work...

Quote Originally Posted by fixdent View Post

--
    Gordon
    Below is a link 'Robert's Videos' showing portions of his work. I think you'll see the B6040 in use and an explanation by Robert in #3.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...tailing-Videos

Henry

If im not mistaken I believe it is actually a BO6040. In case you wanted to do a little more research.

Quote Originally Posted by fixdent View Post

--
    Gordon
    The B6040 is an electric orbital polisher that can be locked so that it rotates in an orbit without being free wheeling. This removes the swirls without putting in new swirls. Robert sent me one and it works great after the surface has been buffed with a rotary.

Len are you guys using the orange sure finish pads with the b6040 also along with your normal polisher?

It almost seems too simple that you use the orange pads and Mystic cut for all your buffing and polishing.
    Avid collector of rust!