TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying the new Sagolas

Default Trying the new Sagolas

Got my 3 new Sagola guns in the mail yesterday and I was itching to try them out. Of course I wouldn't really get a chance to, but I had some inner fenders that needed epoxy, so I decided to try out the 3300 pro. Have to say I was a little sceptical because the guns don't feel very natural to me after using the Sata for so long. But no complaints. The primer gun performed well for me. Keep in mind I was really not ready to spray, so I had to shoot outside in the wind and the panels were hot to the touch. Also I was using the cheapest epoxy known to man and I didn't have a regulator on the gun. So it really wasn't a fair fight from the get go. Got some peel, but less than I ever had before and that was in the worst possible conditions. Looking forward to trying it under better circumstances. This was pure epoxy, not reduced to a sealer. Also the hose to the filter in my shop developed a hole but I already had the primer mixed, so I just went ahead. I think with better material and a little more time with the gun i can spray it much better. Is the 1.8 HVLP Pro by the wat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe I should have called it more of an eggshell than peel. That would be more accurate. Either way I'm stoked!

This is the trio in case you were wondering.

So I used the mini gun to spray the John Deere enamel tonight. Wasnt real impressed with it. Didnt lay as well as I had thought a 1.0 tip mini would. I mixed the Acrylic 4:1:1. But again to be fair and honest, this was the second time I have ever sprayed it, and its the cheap John Deere paint. Maybe thats just how it is, I dont really know. Also I had a ton of paint come out the vent in the cap and run down all over the gun. Overall so far im dissapointed I got this one. But I will try to shoot some urethane with it tomorrow so I, and it have a fair shot. Also, as a side note, I have never had a white plastic cup before, and now my $350 mini gun is stained John Deere green on its maiden voyage. Bummer. Sorry I was in a big hurry and didnt get any pics of it. Hoping it smooths out as little as it cures. Im going to use it tomorrow on one more well prepped hood for the Deere and I should have some pics of that. As much as I hate to stain my clear gun cap too, I will likely ty it with that gun too. Just to see the difference.

Just a quick thought, but when cheap paint is as good as it can get and you donít like it, donít blame the gun. Test the gun with good paint.

Bob K

Dont get me wrong, im not blaming the gun yet. In fact, with the primer gun i was impressed with the finish using crap product. Cant wait to try it with some good stuff. But I did expect the mini gun to spray a bit better than it did even with crappy paint. And im hoping I simply had the vent opened a bit too much and thats why it leaked out as bad as it did. But im a semi novice at this, so before I would blame the gun, i would question my skill.

Tomorrow I will be using PPG primer, DBU, and 2021 and 3000 clear. That should be a more fair test. Looking super forward to trying the 4500 clear gun too. Gunna have to be super careful because im used to hogging clear on with the Sata 3000 HVLP gun to get it even close to laying flat. Have to totally re-learn spraying clear. Will be nerve racking too because I will be under the microscope starting tomorrow. The main (experienced) painter left yesterday, so the work I do today will likely determin if I get his job or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
    Dont get me wrong, im not blaming the gun yet. In fact, with the primer gun i was impressed with the finish using crap product. Cant wait to try it with some good stuff. But I did expect the mini gun to spray a bit better than it did even with crappy paint. And im hoping I simply had the vent opened a bit too much and thats why it leaked out as bad as it did. But im a semi novice at this, so before I would blame the gun, i would question my skill.

Tomorrow I will be using PPG primer, DBU, and 2021 and 3000 clear. That should be a more fair test. Looking super forward to trying the 4500 clear gun too. Gunna have to be super careful because im used to hogging clear on with the Sata 3000 HVLP gun to get it even close to laying flat. Have to totally re-learn spraying clear. Will be nerve racking too because I will be under the microscope starting tomorrow. The main (experienced) painter left yesterday, so the work I do today will likely determin if I get his job or not.
    Every time you change part of the painting process you need to readjust to get optimum results. You're trying to learn to use new equipment as well as gain experience in painting so don't expect optimum results at first. Give yourself time to figure out what technique, tools and materials work best in your situation.

Used the mini on some small parts. Urethane went better, but hard to tell on small parts.

Used the mini on some small parts. Urethane went better, but hard to tell on small parts.
    But isnt that what mini guns are for?

The instructions don't say what its for

Default "Cheap John Deere paint"

So I used the mini gun to spray the John Deere enamel tonight. Wasnt real impressed with it. Didnt lay as well as I had thought a 1.0 tip mini would. I mixed the Acrylic 4:1:1. But again to be fair and honest, this was the second time I have ever sprayed it, and its the cheap John Deere paint. Maybe thats just how it is, I dont really know. Also I had a ton of paint come out the vent in the cap and run down all over the gun. Overall so far im dissapointed I got this one. But I will try to shoot some urethane with it tomorrow so I, and it have a fair shot. Also, as a side note, I have never had a white plastic cup before, and now my $350 mini gun is stained John Deere green on its maiden voyage. Bummer. Sorry I was in a big hurry and didnt get any pics of it. Hoping it smooths out as little as it cures. Im going to use it tomorrow on one more well prepped hood for the Deere and I should have some pics of that. As much as I hate to stain my clear gun cap too, I will likely ty it with that gun too. Just to see the difference.
    Not sure why you used "cheap JD enamel paint". You don't need to buy JD paint from a JD dealer. When I had to paint a JD 318 for show I used bc/cc and had my regular paint shop mix the color for me. I probably should have used SS URETHANE but being the green it is, it came out looking great with b/c.

Have fun with your new guns.

Henry

The instructions don't say what its for
    Referring to small parts, not paint type

I have no idea why she got actual John Deere paint. Wouldn't have been my first choice for sure. Stuff takes forever to dry. And when your painting 100 small parts that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ding View Post
    Referring to small parts, not paint type
    I know what you were referring to. Just being a Smarty pants.

Default My call...

I have no idea why she got actual John Deere paint. Wouldn't have been my first choice for sure. Stuff takes forever to dry. And when your painting 100 small parts that sucks.
    Depending on the expectations of the client, I choose and suggest what paint system I will use to get the job done. Knowing I will get blamed for what they get and what their mind thought they would get, I make a mandatory pick of the system used or take it elsewhere.
    You must remain in control of what you do because the end result has your name and ability all over it.

Henry