Thread: Dry time of Omni MP170 epoxy before topcoat

Default Dry time of Omni MP170 epoxy before topcoat

How long should I wait to spray primer over Omni MP 170 epoxy? It says dry time 30 mins. But it doesn't say about how long to top coat. I've used this stuff many times before, a painter told me its best to wait like if you spray it in the morning, you can spray over it later that day, or if you spray it that evening, you can spray over it the next morning. Is it neccessary to wait that long? I dont want to mess anything up by not waiting long enough, but dont want to wait that long if it isn't neccessary.

I used to use 170 thinned as a sealer every job.let it flash off,then give it 10 minutes or so and shoot it.I never had any problems using it that way.

I use it thinned as a sealer as well. I wait the 30 mins then topcoat. Never gave me a problem.
    Steve g.

Thinned? I just mix the catalist in with the epoxy and spray it. What do you thin it with, and how much? MR reducer? And if you dont thin it, how much longer should i wait? Right now, im using it to seal the filler for primer.

i use the MP170 alot..matter of fact just got another gallon of it a week ago for restock..ive used it for a sealer also most of the time..they have a reducer for it & offhand at this moment i cant remeber what number it is cause its out in the garage & its late right now but my jobber told me to just use a urethane reducer for it to make it a sealer..someone correct me if im wrong..thats what they told me at the store

i'll ad this link to the P sheet for it from PPG.com
    according to this its 10% acetone you can add to it
    http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/ob11.pdf

When used as a sealer before your basecoat you thin up to 10% with acetone, according to the manufacturers sheet. I know others use MR reducer, but the spec sheet specifically says acetone. I use a sealer before my base if I need to achieve a uniform color on the substrate for better coverage of the color (or if I've had minor sandthrough)

I don't believe it necessary to seal your filler before your 2k hi build. It's just covering one type of filler with more filler. I guess if in the process of leveling your filler you're exposed a lot of metal it wouldn't be a bad idea. The benefit is in covering the bare metal, though, not the filler.
    Steve G.

I guess i'll just wait an hour after spraying just to be safe. Thanks

Sorry,when you said "top coat" in your first post,i was thinking spraying it just before your paint of choice.If you are using it under your filler primer,dont thin it.If you use it as a sealer before paint,thin it.And you dont need to wait an hour,actually it will stay soft for about 3-5 days according to my jobber.