TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different shades of white purchased and mixed at the same time.

Default Different shades of white purchased and mixed at the same time.

I purchased a gallon and a quart of Dupont chromaone Single stage nissan 904 white at the same time. When they mixed it up, they did it evenly in two, one gallon cans instead of giving me a 1 gallon can and a quart can. I sprayed the first gallon can on the engine bay , interior of the car and the back of all body panels. This is a complete color change over on everything. Then I taped up the painted parts and sprayed the second on the outer shell. Pulled the tape to see how the transition points would be looking and the second gallon can I sprayed was a different shade altogether.

I compered the two cans purchased and mixed at the same time and the paint in each can is definitely a shade different. one is white and the other look almost a pearl type white/cream. question is did they somehow mix each batch differently from one can to the other?

It never crossed my mind to check to see if they mixed the paint the same shade.

I'm going to the store on Monday with both cans and showing them the difference.

What should I expect them to do in this situation, give me the correct paint, reducer, activator?

I will now need to sand the shell and respray with the correct white color.

any help would be great,

P.s Len your video help me a lot.
    thx Steve

zcolor4.jpg

zcolor5.jpg

zcolor6.jpg

zcolor.jpg

Wow and mixed at the same time. Well not mixed at the same time if they added to toners to each gallon can separately. Looks like one can was Wimbledon white and the other Bright white. However, that said I would have taken the two cans and poured them back and forth to mix the paint and avoid any mismatches. Have no idea what the store will say.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Wow and mixed at the same time. Well not mixed at the same time if they added to toners to each gallon can separately. Looks like one can was Wimbledon white and the other Bright white. However, that said I would have taken the two cans and poured them back and forth to mix the paint and avoid any mismatches. Have no idea what the store will say.
    thx for the input, is it common for a paint store to give two different shades in each gallon of a requested color and want you, the painter to just mix the two together and come up with some off color?
    I asked for 904 white and got two different color 904 whites, I hope this is not the normal way they mix paint.

thx steve

Quote Originally Posted by smn1 View Post
    thx for the input, is it common for a paint store to give two different shades in each gallon of a requested color and want you, the painter to just mix the two together and come up with some off color?
    I asked for 904 white and got two different color 904 whites, I hope this is not the normal way they mix paint.

thx steve
    Ask them to send a rep to look at it tell them there is something wrong with the paint and your not sure what it is then when he comes tell/ask him did I do something wrong? And show him the car then look at him and say nothing,they will most likely match whichever you like again for free and free clear as well..
    Get bent, Sock Puppet..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Ask them to send a rep to look at it tell them there is something wrong with the paint and your not sure what it is then when he comes tell/ask him did I do something wrong? And show him the car then look at him and say nothing,they will most likely match whichever you like again for free and free clear as well..
    thx for the input, so should I not even talk to the paint store about the color problem and just ask for a rep to come look?

This has been a huge disappointment for me, I have been working on the body for 18 months from bare metal ,fixing rust, welding in new panels, hours and hours of block sanding, wetsanding and doing everything correctly, it come down to the final painting and this is what I get from the store that mixes the paint.

The paint job came out with very little dust nibs and looks great, very disheartening at this point.

any tips on what I should do to fix this would be very helpful.

thx steve

thx for the input, so should I not even talk to the paint store about the color problem and just ask for a rep to come look?

This has been a huge disappointment for me, I have been working on the body for 18 months from bare metal ,fixing rust, welding in new panels, hours and hours of block sanding, wetsanding and doing everything correctly, it come down to the final painting and this is what I get from the store that mixes the paint.

The paint job came out with very little dust nibs and looks great, very disheartening at this point.

any tips on what I should do to fix this would be very helpful.

thx steve
    It's a common practice in many shops (including mine) to do what is called "blocking the paint" when it comes in more than one container. This means that you mix the paint together because it's very easy for the person mixing it to put a drop or two of color more or less in one of the cans that can change the shade slightly. Another trick is to use the smaller can of paint to spray an area that will be re-coated with the paint from the larger can.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It's a common practice in many shops (including mine) to do what is called "blocking the paint" when it comes in more than one container. This means that you mix the paint together because it's very easy for the person mixing it to put a drop or two of color more or less in one of the cans that can change the shade slightly. Another trick is to use the smaller can of paint to spray an area that will be re-coated with the paint from the larger can.
    After looking at both cans, it seems that one of the gallon cans is just a base white with zero toner added since it is super bright white, I opened another quart that I purchased at a later date and it matches one of the gallons perfectly which is the correct 904 white.

thx Steve

After looking at both cans, it seems that one of the gallon cans is just a base white with zero toner added since it is super bright white, I opened another quart that I purchased at a later date and it matches one of the gallons perfectly which is the correct 904 white.

thx Steve
    In many cases a supplier can take a gallon of white and add just as a few drops of tint to make the right color so the date on the can may not be an indicator of the date it was mixed.

And this is why you MUST intermix the cans before you shoot. In this case the colors are SOOOO far off you wouldn't want to intermix them as you would have a completely different color than you wanted! If you had opened both cans to intermix you would have seen it and corrected it. For this reason I seriously doubt the paint store is going to do anything but give you more paint, not the catalyst or anything else. ALWAYS intermix the cans, ALWAYS. A white is very touchy, just a drip more of a toner can give you a slightly different color you ALWAYS want to intermix.

Thank goodness this is all on the inside, don't sweat it. Get the correct color and repaint the areas that are wrong and get on with life. But be SURE you have enough to finish the job and if it comes in two cans..........intermix them. Here is a "Basics of Basics" on the subject of painting the car in pieces. http://www.autobodystore.com/ms27.shtml

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    In many cases a supplier can take a gallon of white and add just as a few drops of tint to make the right color so the date on the can may not be an indicator of the date it was mixed.
    Thx Len, I am hoping that they will make right on the paint, reducer and activator. I spent over $850 on all of the paint, reducer and activator and I dont think they will do anything on the labor, sandpaper, and other the other stuff to correct their mix-up of the colors.

Looking at the two different colors even if I did mix the two gallon cans together I would still have a different color that I ordered.
    Thx Steve

Steve, which color were you after? Is the outside sprayed the color you wanted? I am not sure sure if it's as easy a fix as I said now. In any case BE SURE all the body panels outside are painted with the same paint out of the same can! THAT is what will really matter, a TINY difference from fender to door will tick you off forever. And if the color is out of two different cans it is just about guaranteed that it WILL be a little different.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    And this is why you MUST intermix the cans before you shoot. In this case the colors are SOOOO far off you wouldn't want to intermix them as you would have a completely different color than you wanted! If you had opened both cans to intermix you would have seen it and corrected it. For this reason I seriously doubt the paint store is going to do anything but give you more paint, not the catalyst or anything else. ALWAYS intermix the cans, ALWAYS. A white is very touchy, just a drip more of a toner can give you a slightly different color you ALWAYS want to intermix.

Thank goodness this is all on the inside, don't sweat it. Get the correct color and repaint the areas that are wrong and get on with life. But be SURE you have enough to finish the job and if it comes in two cans..........intermix them. Here is a "Basics of Basics" on the subject of painting the car in pieces. http://www.autobodystore.com/ms27.shtml

Brian
    Thx for the input Brian, the color on the shell is the correct color 904 white and engine bay, interior and back of all panels will need to be repainted. Most repainted parts will not be seen but It would have really bothered me knowing this. thx for the support, I told my wife today it could be much worse in my life and this is not so bad, just a little bump in the road.
    thx Steve

just a little bump in the road.
    Exactly!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Steve, which color were you after? Is the outside sprayed the color you wanted? I am not sure sure if it's as easy a fix as I said now. In any case BE SURE all the body panels outside are painted with the same paint out of the same can! THAT is what will really matter, a TINY difference from fender to door will tick you off forever. And if the color is out of two different cans it is just about guaranteed that it WILL be a little different.

Brian
    Brian I have about 2" left in the gallon can, which is the shell color(correct). I have to still paint the outside of the hood, doors, hatch, cowl , headlight buckets and air dam. I dont think the 2" will paint all the parts with 4 coats, maybe i should paint the first 3 coats with new and final wet coat with the old?

thx Steve

Exactly, I have to say, you REALLY want to paint all the outside with the same paint and not have to do what you are doing. Next time get enough paint, intermix it and use the SAME paint for the whole project.

But at this point, yes, that is all you can do. It should work out fine, the colors SHOULD be (that is the thing, how close will they be?) very close so doing just as you describe is what I would do. And I HAVE done it, that is exactly what you do when you find yourself in that position. You could also intermix the old paint with the new paint to get it all closer to the old paint.

But if you paint coats as you should so all is tacky and that last coat becomes one with the others all is good. What I mean by that is you wouldn't want to have a cured first two coats and then lay one coat over the top of them, that would be wrong.

Brian