TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 F-350 Frame off resto

That sucker is looking good, you are going to be the envy of the other truck owners in the area that is for sure, what a beauty.

Brian

Thanks for the comments. They are always appreciated.

It's starting to get exciting because it's getting close to starting with a key! Ofcourse I've got a ton to do before that happens but it's getting there.
    Last edited by junk; 01-29-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Tonight I'm planning to repaint the hood and one fender. Fender went south on me when removing runs and I sanded through. Hood had a light spot so I went aggressive with it right from beginning on the run removal. More pics when I get them!
    Avid collector of rust!

No painting last night. Shop was only 57 degrees. We had -3 degree temps and big winds. I have a drafty door and not enough insulation in my roof making it hard to hold good heat on days like this. Supposed to be 30 this weekend I'm hoping to paint then!

I did do some mechanics on the truck though. Put on the power steering lines, installed the radiator support bushings. removed some wiring to get it ready for putting in wire wrap. Looked for the starter bolts??? Somewhere I lost those.

Still a good night.
    Avid collector of rust!

Had a pretty good night of painting this weekend. I don't have any runs, at least none that I've seen yet. Hood has some dust in it from sitting flat, but that should sand out fine. I changed technique a little bit per suggestions of the board. I put on lighter coats in general. i sprayed them less wet up front and let the material flow a little versus hosing it on like I had been doing. Also on the first coat I waited until it was tacky to the touch before I put the next coat on. Overall I'm much happier with these this time around. I'm pretty sure I was putting on so much clear that it was basically running down the sides of the panels based on the long strings of runs I was getting. So far these are the only parts I've had to redo right away on this truck. I'm OK with that!

photo 1(3).jpgphoto 2(3).jpg
    Avid collector of rust!

Junk, when you talk about using waste oil...are you talking waste vegetable oil?

I work in a school setting and have just gotten involved a 'green' project where we're making biodiesel. We've had the project running for a couple of years but it's not moving forward. I got pulled in last week to see if I could help get it up to speed.

We bought a bunch of high dollar equipment to process the biofuel, but it can be done on the cheap. As deep as you are in that project mechanically, I would imagine at some point you're going to have your tanks flushed. One of the 'problems' with switching to biofuel is teething problems related to the cleansing nature of bio vs diesel. You may have that solved already.

If you haven't tried or considered biodiesel, you should look into it. Here in the south waste vegetable oil is plentiful and either cheap or free. Collect, let it settle, drain, strain, process, filter, use...

I had a long sit down with a local farmer Friday who's been processing and using biodiesel in all his equipment and vehicles for the last three years. No mechanical issues once he got the fuel systems cleaned out and new filters installed. Biofuel has much better lubricating properties than low sulfur diesel. The stuff he strains out of the WVO (corn meal, flour, etc...), he mixes with feed and feeds it to his livestock. The glycerin that is a byproduct of the processs (20% of the WVO being processed) he mixes 1:10 with cottonseed hulls to feed to his cattle.

I have a Kubota L4400 tractor, zd18 zero turn mower and a zd326 I'm going to start weaning onto bio in the next couple of months.

SamG

Default Sam the man...

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    Junk, when you talk about using waste oil...are you talking waste vegetable oil?

I work in a school setting and have just gotten involved a 'green' project where we're making biodiesel. We've had the project running for a couple of years but it's not moving forward. I got pulled in last week to see if I could help get it up to speed.

We bought a bunch of high dollar equipment to process the biofuel, but it can be done on the cheap. As deep as you are in that project mechanically, I would imagine at some point you're going to have your tanks flushed. One of the 'problems' with switching to biofuel is teething problems related to the cleansing nature of bio vs diesel. You may have that solved already.

If you haven't tried or considered biodiesel, you should look into it. Here in the south waste vegetable oil is plentiful and either cheap or free. Collect, let it settle, drain, strain, process, filter, use...

I had a long sit down with a local farmer Friday who's been processing and using biodiesel in all his equipment and vehicles for the last three years. No mechanical issues once he got the fuel systems cleaned out and new filters installed. Biofuel has much better lubricating properties than low sulfur diesel. The stuff he strains out of the WVO (corn meal, flour, etc...), he mixes with feed and feeds it to his livestock. The glycerin that is a byproduct of the processs (20% of the WVO being processed) he mixes 1:10 with cottonseed hulls to feed to his cattle.

I have a Kubota L4400 tractor, zd18 zero turn mower and a zd326 I'm going to start weaning onto bio in the next couple of months.

SamG
    Good to hear what you're up to. How long can WVO be stored; can it make a year?

What have you been buying/building?

What have you to say about the Father & Son Mustang (Toyota powered yet)?

Take care.

Henry

SAMG I was thinking more along the lines of waste motor oil, Hydraulic oil, etc. Some of the ford diesel forums I'm apart of have a lot of people using wast oil to run their pickups. I've not explored the nuts and bolts of it, but they filter the wast oil well, then mix it with something else such as diesel or unleaded gas to get a burnable mix. With this truck having a completely mechanical fuel system they seem to burn waste oil reasonably well. It wouldn't surprise me that burning waste oil would decrease the life span of the fuel pump and injectors, but when they normally last 140,000 miles if they lasted 100,000 miles instead I'd be content. 100,000 miles of fuel at .50-1.00 a gallon plus a $1500 fuel system is drastically cheaper than 100,000 miles of fuel at 4.00 a gallon. I'm still not sure if I'll go this way or not. I can get used oil cheap from work. I just don't put that many miles on my diesel pickups so truthfully the savings over the possible risk of a bad batch and hassle making it may not be worth it.

I've not explored making biodiesel at all.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Avid collector of rust!

If you have any interest at all, check out this link...

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#2svo

From the little I've read, if you have any natural rubber hoses/o-rings in your fuel system, you'd have to change those out...looks like Ford made the switch around 93

Cheers! and looks great!

With the spring I've gotten stalled out on this project. I currently have an enclosed trailer to fix and have a pickup I'm actively swapping engines in.

I did get the front clip painted and installed. Turned out OK.

Here is a LINK to my Flickr page with the pictures from this truck.
    Avid collector of rust!

Well I have been working on it. Installed most the wiring and it actually turned over. I wasn't ready to start it, but we are starting to get life! I'm starting to get excited.

IMG_2230.jpgIMG_2231.jpgphoto1.jpg
    Avid collector of rust!

It finally runs and Drives!! I'm sitting on a milk crate and appear to still have a small brake line leak, but it drives around my yard under it's own power. Side glass is all installed, doors latches are loaded back in, new weather stripping is installed.

Been doing lots of cleaning and reassembly. I think next big project like this I do the the vehicle's going to spend a lot of time under the power washer getting everything nice and clean before being torn down.

Next big step for me is to get the box painted up. The box is in my shop and in primer, but needs a dent fixed I put in it with the tractor last summer. Then another round of sanding and priming and we're into color. With any luck I may have it in color this weekend. probably sometime next week. And I'll get to try out my new HobbyAir unit.

Vent window rubbers before being cleaned. They were absolutely filthy.
    photo 1-1.jpg
    Vent windows after cleaning, repainting the main frame and reassembly. They aren't perfect, but pretty nice. Definitely better than the old sun faded mess they were.
    photo 2-1.jpg
    And the beast sitting outside. It looks super dark in these pictures. I haven't buffed or polished the sides. Even sitting under plastic this thing got really dusty. I'm looking forward to washing it!
    photo 3-1.jpg
    Avid collector of rust!

Looking good.

Default Happiness IS...

CONGRATS!! That's a much different shot of your truck. Your work has paid off and spring is not far away. Gonna be a fun year for you.

Henry

THANKS! for the kind words I appreciate it. I've been very motivated on it as of late which is nice. Not sure why, but must be in the kick butt phase of the project cycle.

I have the bed in the shop now getting it ready for paint. It was storm damaged and won't be razor straight, but was rust free which is a big thing for around here.

If I get ambitious the bed will be painted this weekend. At a minimum it will be wet sanded and ready for color.
    Avid collector of rust!