TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 F-350 Frame off resto

Default 89 F-350 Frame off resto

Thought you guys might be interested in this. I'm going through an 89 Ford F-350 Crewcab one ton truck. It's now 4x4 and manual. I have a 4 speed transmission in it with a US gear auxiliary transmission. I tore i apart years ago and have slowly been going through it. Currently I have the frame powdercoated and all the suspension and drivetrain either powder coated or painted and loaded back on the frame. I also have the cab and doors painted and sitting on the frame. I recently just finished painting most of the radiator support and brackets so I can test fit the front fenders and then get them painted and installed.

Side-Shot-Whole-truck (Medium).jpg
    Picture of the truck when I tore it down.
    IMG_8208.jpg
    Bare cab showing the rust in the drivers side area.
    IMG_8469 (Medium).JPG
    Picture of the floor after I rebuilt the outside 4-6 inches and the pinch weld the weather stripping goes on.

photo(27).jpg
    I had a red dash, but wanted it tan.

photo(28).jpg
    I used PPG DBI paint to paint this dash tan, I really liked the look. Pictures don't do it justice

photo(20).jpg
    Side of the cab. I painted it all apart and hung the doors painted. Next time I'll jamb everything and then paint the outside at one time.

3527561_55b6bdd2-f7fd-4a73-a341-4b3ae0566059.jpg
    This is the color scheme I'm going for. I really like the new style ford King ranches, but I can't justify the money for one.

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

What engine is in it . Nice project but a lot of work .

Mooch

Big project, and it's looking good.

Brian

WOW! That's alot of work for 8mpg...I guess I shouldn't be talking though with my 99 suburban 4x4 454whipple charged 8cyl I get 7mpg city with the lift and 20in weld wheels.. it seemed like a good idea at the time but the MPG I can't drive it much...280 to fill up the tank and it don't even last a week..

This is a complete labor of love. Some guys like Camaro's or Mustangs. My love is this 89 Crewcab. When it's done My plan is to use it like a truck for hauling stuff. I seem to have old cars to either pickup or haul somewhere frequently. New pickups are like 50K and I'll have probably 10K in redoing this. Now it's taken entirely too long, but it is turning out nice.

It has a 7.3 IDI diesel engine with an aftermarket turbo system. I also have a 4 speed manual transmission with a 2 speed auxiliary transmission in it. So The truck started out as a 2wd Auto and I swapped it over to a 4x4 manual. Believe it or not, but this truck before the turbo would get around 12-15mpg towing depending on how aggressive I was running. Also with this being so old it's fairly easy to run waste oil in this as fuel. I'm thinking about doing that.

Body wise it will be fairly stock. I'm going with a 92-97 front clip on it. I'm putting a 2000 ford explorer keyless entry system with the door keypad in it. I've put the paddle style mirrors from the 92-97 trucks on the doors. Interior wise all the dash and interior plastics will be factory 89 ford. I'm recoloring the interior to be tan versus red though. And for the seats I'm having 97 F-250 crewcab seats recovered in leather.

When I had the cab all bare I sprayed Lizard skin on every surface I could easily do that wasn't a final outside finish. Lizard skin has two parts. One is a sound deaden-or and one is a insulation. So the floor, firewall, and cab back all have lizard skin on the inside and outside of them. The roof I only did the inside since the outside gets final paint.

This is the main project I keep asking all the questions for.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

gaspedal.jpg
    I've gone into enough detail that I've painted all the pedals before installing them.

photo(17).jpg
    This is the outside heater box. I put a new blower motor, a/c evaporator, heater core, and blower resister in it before mounting it. I put lizard skin on the box also to help keep out the engine compartment heat from the cab.

You are doing a hell of a job on that truck!

Brian

I like everything but using waste oil in a 7.3 . I run a 7.3 and know it is good for 500,000 miles with the proper oil changes . Putting all that money into a truck and then running it on shit fuel just doesn't make sense .

Other then that nice project . Might i ask just how old you are ?

mooch

I'm 35. I've owned this truck since 1998. The waste oil for fuel seems to work ok when done right. From what I've read. I've not done it yet, but have been reading about it and strongly considering it. I do have some concerns that the waste oil does have metals in it that may decrease the engines lifespan. I would be surprised if it didn't. I definitely believe it shortens the fuel systems life span. We'll see how cheap I get and how much hassle I feel like messing with for a few hundred gallons a year. I don't think I'll put much more than 2-3K miles a year on this when done. And I was only planning to mix 50/50 with diesel. So truthfully not much savings, but if fuel gets crazy I might do it.

I'm ashamed to say I tore this truck down about 6 years ago right around the same time I had my first kids, which ended up being twins. It's probably only been the last couple years I've really had the money, facilties, and time to really keep focus on this.

IMG_8299 (Medium).jpg
    I painted up the drivetrain before I put it in the frame. I had the frame powder coated and not sure if I would do that again. Don't mind all the wiring. I stripped all the covers off the wiring to clean them up and inspect for damage. I also cleaned out a bunch of unneeded wiring for the original Automatic transmission. Everythings dusty from sitting while I've worked on the cab. Since then I've started putting plastic over what I'm not working on to keep it cleaner.

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_8483 (Large).jpg
    This is the bottom of the cab in Lizard skin. I Epoxy Primed it and put an Acrylic Enamel on first before lizard skin. It looks much less spotty in person. It has a really nice finish.

I thought you might be young .I had that kind of get up an go when i was 35 . Should be a nice truck when you are done .Mine is a stock 99 Super Duty with a stock 7.3 turbo .Only have 45,000 miles on it .

Just remember anytime you have to do anything to that motor it wont be cheap .Spend a little more on fuel and keep clean oil in that engine . Those engines are tough as nails and a tad noisy but i like the sound .

Keep the pics coming as we all enjoy them . I take it you have had help doing some of the bull work .

Mooch

I got some more work done on the truck this weekend. I bolted the front end together so I could test fit the fenders before getting them in paint. Everything fit well so I kind of wish I had painted them first, but o'well. I've had to massage fenders before so I wanted to test fit everything first.
    photo 4.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Before I break the front end back down to paint it seperate I need to fit this bumper assembly on. The front end assembly is for a 99 or newer ford truck. I've modified my front frame horns to accomodate longer front springs. So no matter what I did for a bumper I was going to have to custom fab the mounts. I'm going to get the bumper blasted and then paint it the light tan of the two-tone I'm going with.
    photo 1.jpg

Ok I did a little priming last night. I had the front bumper and wiring test fit Ok so it was time to pull the front end back down and paint it up.

On the wiring I've had the front engine compartment wiring harnesses torn down completely wire by wire. I removed all the wiring for the electronic controlled auto transmission as I don't have that anymore and part of it's wiring had been burnt at some time. Also all my wiring plastic cover was cracked and brittle so I removed it. I got all the wiring routed right and am ready to cover it back up and get it ready for installation.

On the fenders I shaved the emblem holes and the hood I used had some issues. It had a dent in the front when I got it, but sometime in storage it got another dent in the top of it so I had to fix both of those. I put the fenders and hood in primer last night and should get them blocked tonight or tomorrow. If that goes well I hope to have them in color over the weekend.

Now i need to get going on all the engine misc. hoses and stuff so I'll have less of that to do once the fenders are on. I don't want to crawl over fresh painted fenders anymore than I have to. Oh and I got my first chip. I absentmindedly opened a front door into one of the fenders during the test fit. It's about a 1/16" chip on the front edge of the door.

photo 1(2).jpgphoto 2(2).jpg

Default Down the road again...ALMOST

[QUOTE=junk;220654]Ok I did a little priming last night. I had the front bumper and wiring test fit Ok so it was time to pull the front end back down and paint it up.

On the wiring I've had the front engine compartment wiring harnesses torn down completely wire by wire. I removed all the wiring for the electronic controlled auto transmission as I don't have that anymore and part of it's wiring had been burnt at some time. Also all my wiring plastic cover was cracked and brittle so I removed it. I got all the wiring routed right and am ready to cover it back up and get it ready for installation.

On the fenders I shaved the emblem holes and the hood I used had some issues. It had a dent in the front when I got it, but sometime in storage it got another dent in the top of it so I had to fix both of those. I put the fenders and hood in primer last night and should get them blocked tonight or tomorrow. If that goes well I hope to have them in color over the weekend.

Now i need to get going on all the engine misc. hoses and stuff so I'll have less of that to do once the fenders are on. I don't want to crawl over fresh painted fenders anymore than I have to. Oh and I got my first chip. I absentmindedly opened a front door into one of the fenders during the test fit. It's about a 1/16" chip on the front edge of the door.

Pretty soon you'll be singing that song!

DON'T bolt any fenders on until you can do ALL that needs to done in the engine compartment. SO easy to get to as it is.

I think we're all hoping for you to have a good paint match but that color with metalic might be a challenge. You did a lot of work for sure.
    You know, with the age of the truck, even though under 20 years, you might be able to get specialty insurance coverage on it depending on the company. That gives you insured for a STATED VALUE and a LOW annual premium.

Like the Mooch says, to have your youth makes all this more possible. And, keep the pics coming. Nice work.

Henry

Henry - that's good thinking on the insurance. Heck next year it will be 25 years old 89-2014. I have Hagerty on my 49 international pickup so I'll have to check with them on this also.

I was thinking I would be hanging the front clip tomorrow, but I'm probably going to work on wiring harnesses and finish up other engine stuff before I hang the clip. I need to repaint the hood anyway because I have a light spot in the color. I know my lighting isnt' the best, but I was moving to fast on the color and wasn't getting very good coverage. So I'm blaming it on speed instead of lighting. I also have a huge line of runs in the hood to sand out. Fenders got runs also, but I think those will sand out and polish up ok.

Sad part is I may end up hanging those fenders on sooner than I want to. The fenders support the radiator support so without them it will flop around. Not to mention the starter solenoid and a bunch of other stuff mounts to them also. So I may suck it up and get them mounted. We'll see.

photo 3(1).jpgphoto 2(2).jpgphoto 1(2).jpgphoto 5.jpg