TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Here's a video of a car I did for a client who's out of town

Default Here's a video of a car I did for a client who's out of town

I did this so he'd be able to see what he gave me the money for.

It doesn't show much in the way of process but it does show before and after. I was trying to show as much in the way of defects after I was done as I could since I don't want him to think it's better than it is.

Robert

Nice video which in a way makes me even more frustrated. I finished polishing out my new paint two days ago with Wizards, the blue wool pad and Makita 9227. However I have spent all day so far trying to remove swirls and don't seem to be making a dent in them at all. This with a orange foam pad, Surefinish and the 6040 machine. Been over a couple of sections 3 times with barely little effect. Car looks great from a few feet away, but get close and use light and voila there they are all over. I'd also swear some look just a little deep to me after polishing.

Default tbm,

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Nice video which in a way makes me even more frustrated. I finished polishing out my new paint two days ago with Wizards, the blue wool pad and Makita 9227. However I have spent all day so far trying to remove swirls and don't seem to be making a dent in them at all. This with a orange foam pad, Surefinish and the 6040 machine. Been over a couple of sections 3 times with barely little effect. Car looks great from a few feet away, but get close and use light and voila there they are all over. I'd also swear some look just a little deep to me after polishing.

I think you're probably not working the product down far enough. Try running it till the shine really comes through. Then, when you wipe off the residue, wipe in a straight line. If the marks are in line with your take off cloth, that's the problem. It's amazing how soft freshly polished paint can be and how much scratch even a microfiber cloth can put into it if there's any contamination at all.

I don't make a point of sharing this technique, but if I find that my take off cloth is giving me trouble, I wax over the top of my final pass using a hydrophilic sponge as an applicator. The wax coats the dust/abrasive that might be left behind and lets me take it off without marring the surface. I only do this after I'm sure that the only problem I have is the cloth marring. Otherwise, it's just filling and things will come back over time.

Also, spur the living hell out of your blue pad, really break it down, so you have a very fluffy pad. That will keep you from gouging.

Finally, you may have to wipe the panel off with something to remove the Wizards completely before going to the Sure Finish. Sometimes products don't play well together.

Call if you want.

Robert

Thanks, Robert, I will give it a try later on. Luckily the color of the car is white and hard to see things unless the light, and eyes, are at the right angle to view.

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

I can't believe you did that car in 3minutes and thirty two seconds Robert .

Just kidding . But how long did it take . It sure did turn out to be a beauty .

Mooch

Default Mooch,

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    I can't believe you did that car in 3minutes and thirty two seconds Robert .

Just kidding . But how long did it take . It sure did turn out to be a beauty .

Mooch
    That car took about 4 hours. It was pretty clean to begin with, especially the interior. The think people forget on a car like that is, oxidation is soft so it comes off pretty quick. If those scratches were in fresh, modern paint I'd have been in for a fight. Since most the scratches were in the oxidation it cut beautifully. Then, once I was down to good paint all I had to do was kill the swirls and wax. The chrome, wheels, grill and soft top are all in good shape so they didn't require a lot of time. The other thing is, I wasn't going for perfection. I left a scratch or two in the interest of keeping as much paint on the car as possible.

Take Care,
    Robert