Thread: base coat problem , look dry , sand paper feeling

Default base coat problem , look dry , sand paper feeling

hello
    here again the same problem
    everything work well
    with the sealer no problem
    with the clear no problem

but still the base coat give me an hard time
    its difficult for to get a smooth and slick base coat finish ,some area are smoth some other are dry.....

and i cant really get a WET pattern

i m using an iwata supernova 1.3 tip , the pressure at the bottom gun is around 16 to 18 , FAN all way open 1/4 turn in , FLUID from close full 4 1/4 turn open

paint is ppg deltron dbc with medium reducer ,

temperature durind the process wasn't really cold or hot ,may be more on the cold side ( garage projet , no booth)

its not my first car , and always the same problem

please any advise are welcome
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vincentnova View Post
    hello
    everything work well

its difficult for to get a smooth and slick base coat finish ,some area are smoth some other are dry.....

i m using an iwata supernova 1.3 tip , the pressure at the bottom gun is around 16 to 18 , FAN all way open 1/4 turn in , FLUID from close full 4 1/4 turn open

temperature durind the process wasn't really cold or hot ,may be more on the cold side ( garage projet , no booth)

thanks
    If you're getting some areas that are wet and some areas that are dry it sounds like it could be your technique. I'm not familiar with the material you're using but it sounds like you may not be applying it evenly. Is the gun's fan fully open wide and do you have good lighting? Sealer and clear tend to flow out while some bases tend to dry quickly, you don't need it to be smooth and glossy but it should not be rough like sandpaper.

Your spraying technique should be smooth and graceful, watching the surface as you spray so that you can correct any problems as you spray. This is why light is so important. If you see a dry spot while you're spraying you can go back and correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentnova View Post
    hello
    everything work well

thanks
    I spray PPG DBC all the time and I never have that problem. I use a different brand of gun. For some reason whether its an issue with the gun or an issue with the paint, I think it might be a paint problem as you say its not happening with sealer or clear. Start out simple, take apart your gun and make sure its clean, no obstructions in the tip or air cap. Then get a tech sheet for the DBC, make sure your mixture is correct, most DBC's are mixed 1 to 1. Also are you using the right reducer? if you have tried all these things then sorry for repeating them, but sometimes the most obvious solutions are the ones I miss and I've been painting for 32 years.
    Basecoat will not dry shiny, it should have a shininess to it, but it should dry to a dull finish. Usually when basecoat dries slick or shiny too much paint is applied.
    Get out a test piece or piece of masking paper and play around with your gun settings. Between that and studying the tech or P sheet, hopefully you'll find the solution.

18psi is a bit low isn't it? I do my base at 28/30psi
    And I second what JoAnnBortles said

I would say my basecoat always looks a little dry. It never really has a wet look to it. Not like when you shoot clear.

Have you cleared it? How does it look? I always shoot my base coat full air the gun recommends and full fan.