TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How long can I wait before buffing clearcoat?

Default How long can I wait before buffing clearcoat?

I am starting a full paint job on an 1986 Corvette. Not sure which primer/paint/cleat to use yet, I want HIGH gloss finish. My question is, due to allot of seams between various body panels I have taken 13 body pieces off the car. Fuel door, headlight doors, ground effects/wing, mirrors, ect. Some of these are rather small and would be quite awkward to buff out unless reassembled onto the car body, then buffed out. The deal is I will probably paint one weekend and wait a week before I reassembel the car. Would a week be too long to wait before buffing out the clear? Thanks all.... Len you're the best!

I Just cut and buffed an entire pickup cab today 2 weeks after it was clear coated. Many other pieces will be even longer. It also depends on what clear you use as some clears are harder than others even when completely dry. You'll be fine it might be just harder to cut and buff. My clear was PPG 2021. My process was 1000 grit by hand on a 3x5 medium hard block, 2000 grit by hand on a 3x5 soft block, 3000 Trizact on a DA. I had no problems buffing. If you need good buffing supplies Len will set you up with the right stuff. Roger

The key is your finish sanding. Like stated 3000 trizac is your friend. They have 5000 out now also! Makes the first cut way easier!

I always like to cut/buff between 24-48 hrs. I like it best closer to the 24 hr side.
    [SIGPIC]

Did you bake the clear?

Never
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Did you bake the clear?
    After the paint is mixed and sprayed it can be warmed using a heat lamp to speed the hardening. We do it all the time but you should wait until it's dry to the touch before heating. We usually don't take it over 180 degrees F.

Note: Different paints can react differently.

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth View Post
    I always like to cut/buff between 24-48 hrs. I like it best closer to the 24 hr side.
    Sprayed a 1/4 panel last night with a hs spot panel clear last coat was 130am cut and buffed it 930am pds says wait 8hrs to buff air dry..

i use the infa red to dry the primer for 30 mins though that beats waiting 8hrs...
    Get bent, Sock Puppet..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Sprayed a 1/4 panel last night with a hs spot panel clear last coat was 130am cut and buffed it 930am pds says wait 8hrs to buff air dry..

i use the infa red to dry the primer for 30 mins though that beats waiting 8hrs...
    I have put heat on a panel to bring it up in the sub-freezing temps on rare occasion but in general I don't "bake". I would like one of those infra-red thermometers....neat.

I was commenting earlier on overall clear when i wait 24 hrs. On some of my Speed clears I can buff in 90 minutes or less @70 degrees. But I like to wait a little longer if not pushed.
    [SIGPIC]

In my experience a premium clear will buff much easier after a week than will a economy type clearcoat, this is especially true if you are still using the "old style" method of hand sanding with 1000=>1500 or 1200=>2000 grit then buff. It will be easier if you finish with 3000 grit Trizact. (or equivalent)

With speed clear I am nibbing in one hour.