TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Rust under primer question?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default Rust under primer question?

    So I picked up a 67 Mustang fastback the other day and about 15 years ago the bodywork was done and the car is real straight. BUT, there are small rust spots showing through the primer. I sanded some down with 80 grit to check it out and you can see where moisture had worked it's way into the primer while it sat under a covered area.

    I was thinking of just taking it down with 80 grit, but really not sure what I want to do next. If the spots are exposed and and sanded some, I was thinking of just shooting epoxy primer over it and then a filler primer.

    You can see the little spots of rust and it's just very small pitting where moisture has gathered. I was not wanting to treat the car with rust stuff if not needed. I want to just expose the areas and sand them some, then epoxy them.

    Any thought on this?





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,318

    Default

    If it were in our shop I would sand the primer away with some 80 grit then hit it with a spot blaster to remove rust from the pits then reapply a good epoxy primer, filler primer, block sand and paint.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan, God's country
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    That whole car needs to be stripped down the clean bare metal. Your best bet would be to take it to a media blaster (not sand blaster and not steel shot blaster). That primer looks like old Uro primer (which is a good primer). Also it may not be moisture damage from the moisture penetrating the primer, its just as likely that the person applying the primer has a moisture problem with his air line while shooting the primer which means the rust causing moisture was introduced at the same time along with the primer application.

    You could strip the whole car with 80 grit on a mud hog or a low speed rotary sander but you can't get into all the nooks and cranny's going that route.
    That is why I suggested media blasting. That appears to be a very nice survivor Mustang and it deserves to be done right (which won't be cheap).

    I'm having a wiring problem with my '07 Shelby right now, I couldn't figure it out so I took to the Ford dealer and they can't figure it out either. I replaced the whole wiring harness from the cowl forward.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Africa, Pretoria
    Posts
    460

    Default

    I would also strip it down. It is a awesome car so you need to do a awesome job!
    Nice project!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Sadly I won't be able to keep the project. I came across the car last week and had not planned on buying another car, but the price was too good.

    I think the had the bodywork done over 15 years ago (been off the road for over 25+plus years). It was in a garage until about four years ago, then under a car port. That's where I think the primer started getting moister into it. There is no bubbling, just the rust spots where the metal was bear under the primer. I think it does need stripped down, just not wanting to get too deep into it, before I need to let it go lol

    As much as I would love to keep the car, I have two other fastbacks and a Camaro and I will be moving soon and don't have room. So, I'm just trying to weigh the thoughts of doing some work on it before selling it or just sell it? I really would like to clean it up, so that someone can make a great car out of it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    That whole car needs to be stripped down the clean bare metal. Your best bet would be to take it to a media blaster (not sand blaster and not steel shot blaster). That primer looks like old Uro primer (which is a good primer). Also it may not be moisture damage from the moisture penetrating the primer, its just as likely that the person applying the primer has a moisture problem with his air line while shooting the primer which means the rust causing moisture was introduced at the same time along with the primer application.

    You could strip the whole car with 80 grit on a mud hog or a low speed rotary sander but you can't get into all the nooks and cranny's going that route.
    That is why I suggested media blasting. That appears to be a very nice survivor Mustang and it deserves to be done right (which won't be cheap).

    I'm having a wiring problem with my '07 Shelby right now, I couldn't figure it out so I took to the Ford dealer and they can't figure it out either. I replaced the whole wiring harness from the cowl forward.
    Plastic Media Blasting works great on paint or primer but I've never seen it remove rust unless they use a harder media after the paint is removed. The blasting service that I was using prior to stripping with a sander did several cars for me and used metal shot after the plastic to get to the rust but it was quite expensive and that's why we started using the Makita and 80 grit disks. We saved a lot of time and money using sandpaper and we've been doing it for about 10 years now and haven't seen any problems however we do address the rust with a blaster or Picklex where needed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I am just up in the air about what to do with it lol I should probably just sell it and move on! I am mostly just worried I will get into the project TOOOO much, because I do love restoring these cars.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I am just up in the air about what to do with it lol I should probably just sell it and move on! I am mostly just worried I will get into the project TOOOO much, because I do love restoring these cars.
    If you enjoy doing it then you should be in heaven playing with that car and you'll end up with a real beauty.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default

    If it were only that easy! If I was not moving in about a month into a smaller shop, then it would not be an issue lol

  10. #10

    Cool

    I have a 67 just like it. You have a lot of potential there. Dump the camaro and keep the stang!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLong View Post
    I have a 67 just like it. You have a lot of potential there. Dump the camaro and keep the stang!
    Love the Camaro lol It's my only convertible and they look much better than Mustang convertibles, and I'm a Mustang guy lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default Did some stripping tonight.

    Here is the hood after I stripped it tonight. I need to order some pixle for the rust spots.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan, God's country
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Kcode, how much of the missing parts (not seen in the pictures) came with the car ? I really don't want to get into another full restoration but that is a nice car that I could see me restoring. What do you figure your selling price will be for the car unrestored ? I personally would MUCH prefer to buy a car in similar condition to the pictures you provided than a car that someone else restored and needs to be redone. There is an old saying in the bodyshops that goes " primer can hide a bunch of sins " but the car in the pictures has had that primer on there long enough that any "sins" would have showed up by now. By "sins" we refer to bad bodywork where some hack would pack rust holes full of bondo then hide it by spraying primer over it. Very obvious thats not the case on your car. My point is an experienced Mustang restorer would probably pay more for the car in the photo's as is than the same car with new primer on it. Based on past experiences I very suspicious buying a car in fresh primer.

    The '67 Fastback Mustang is my favorite of all the older Mustangs and I've had a bunch of old mustangs from a '64 1/2 convertible to several '71,2 and 3 Mach 1 fastbacks and convertibles. At one point I had a '65 Fastback and my wife drove a '66 fastback that I restored for her. Never owned a '69 or a '70 mustang but all the other years are covered. As far as I'm concerned Ford quit making Mustangs in 1973 and didn't start making them again until 2005 with the new bodystyle. One of the reasons I bought my '07 Shelby was because I just didn't feel like doing another full restoration on an older Mustang but I could get into restoring that car of yours in the pictures.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    Kcode, how much of the missing parts (not seen in the pictures) came with the car ? I really don't want to get into another full restoration but that is a nice car that I could see me restoring. What do you figure your selling price will be for the car unrestored ? I personally would MUCH prefer to buy a car in similar condition to the pictures you provided than a car that someone else restored and needs to be redone. There is an old saying in the bodyshops that goes " primer can hide a bunch of sins " but the car in the pictures has had that primer on there long enough that any "sins" would have showed up by now. By "sins" we refer to bad bodywork where some hack would pack rust holes full of bondo then hide it by spraying primer over it. Very obvious thats not the case on your car. My point is an experienced Mustang restorer would probably pay more for the car in the photo's as is than the same car with new primer on it. Based on past experiences I very suspicious buying a car in fresh primer.

    The '67 Fastback Mustang is my favorite of all the older Mustangs and I've had a bunch of old mustangs from a '64 1/2 convertible to several '71,2 and 3 Mach 1 fastbacks and convertibles. At one point I had a '65 Fastback and my wife drove a '66 fastback that I restored for her. Never owned a '69 or a '70 mustang but all the other years are covered. As far as I'm concerned Ford quit making Mustangs in 1973 and didn't start making them again until 2005 with the new bodystyle. One of the reasons I bought my '07 Shelby was because I just didn't feel like doing another full restoration on an older Mustang but I could get into restoring that car of yours in the pictures.
    You have really hit it on the head here. The car IS in great shape for having been restored years ago. What you have described is the very issue I have been dealing with. I know that coming across a car in this shape is hard to do, so then I struggle with wanting to dig right into it, because it's a great restoration car. There are no cracks in the little bit of bodywork that I can see. The hood was the worst part and the mud work was really in pretty good shape. Most the surface rust spots were where there was no mud work.

    I hate to throw a price out there, but email me at kcode2001@yahoo.com and I can talk to you about it. I did not come on here to sell it, just struggling with options on the car. I love Mustangs and I woke up at 4:00 this morning thinking that I should go work on it lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •