TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting hanging panels like the Hood, Trunk, and Decklid ??

Default Painting hanging panels like the Hood, Trunk, and Decklid ??

I have done this in the past but I'm always leary of having the Clear run down to the bottom of the hanging panel. Any advice? How are some of you painting both sides of a panel bc/cc when you need to paint both sides? I could use transition tape, paint the inside of the panels first, one day, let it cure/harden, then flip it over on the stand, and finish the top side another day. I worry the hardened inside after its been painted, may get an impression/rub from the stand, into the clear while lying on the stand, risky.
    I would like to paint everything in one day which leads to hanging the panels again. I have considered mounting these panels onto the car, but items like the trunklid and decklid move together if not latched down. Any advice/ideas?
    Thanks

If you have room hang them up. You will get less trash. You can buy a panel tree. Expensive. I built one.
    [SIGPIC]

Ive always heard you want to paint things like they will be placed on the vehicle. So a door should be hung versus a hood should be painted flat. I believe the reason behind this was the paint ( I'm assuming metallics) will lay right.

Anybody else heard this?

Correct on metallics
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by vettnut View Post
    I have done this in the past but I'm always leary of having the Clear run down to the bottom of the hanging panel. Any advice? How are some of you painting both sides of a panel bc/cc when you need to paint both sides? I could use transition tape, paint the inside of the panels first, one day, let it cure/harden, then flip it over on the stand, and finish the top side another day. I worry the hardened inside after its been painted, may get an impression/rub from the stand, into the clear while lying on the stand, risky.
    I would like to paint everything in one day which leads to hanging the panels again. I have considered mounting these panels onto the car, but items like the trunklid and decklid move together if not latched down. Any advice/ideas?
    Thanks
    If the paint was metallic I'd recommend spraying the horizontal panels horizontally and the vertical panels vertically so that the metallic would (hopefully) orient itself similarly to the panels next to them but with solid colors this isn't necessary. I usually find that I can generate a little smoother job spraying a horizontal surface because I don't need to worry about running the paint but with these new spray guns that atomize so finely this isn't as much of an issue because the paint is on thin enough that it doesn't run as easily and the finish is smooth no matter how the panel is hanging.

When painting the lids we paint the undersides (including the edges) first then, after the paint is hard, we mask just back from the edge on the underside and flip the panel to paint the other side. We prep the edge again then paint the top side but since the edge is painted we don't need to paint up underneath and our tape doesn't generate a ridge.

We use several of these folding stands because they are fairly inexpensive, strong, easy to adjust and can be stashed out of the way when not in use.

Yes, I will be spraying a metallic. You made a great point about laying the panels flat. I have considered painting the inside of the panels first, like Len suggested, along with some other small parts, like the dash cluster, gutters, trunk filler, fresh air door, gas lid, gas tank cover, etc..
    Should 24 hrs be long enough to harden paint?
    Do you cover the round foam tubes on your panel stands some protective material or just the foam?
    Thanks for the help.

Default Diamont Paint code?

Is this a brand of paint?
    I recently received a paint code for a color I am researching. I saw a Corvette on BJ auctions and I found someone who knows the car and it's builder. He was kind enough to pass the paint code onto me. I now need to take this code to my local PPG and Dupont people for a comparison of the other color samples I have tried. 5 samples to date. I default color is Black.
    Will my Paint stores be able to convert this Diamont code to there's?? In this code is also a basfrefinish stovk number??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vettnut View Post
    Do you cover the round foam tubes on your panel stands some protective material or just the foam?
    I use my stand a lot. When I use it for sanding I get dust on the foam rubber. Itís hard to get them clean and I donít want a dust source where I spray so I take a strip of masking paper off the dispenser and wrap the foam. In the past I have had the paint eat into the foam when I turned the panel to soon. The paper fixes that problem too. I donít remove the old paper until I am going to paint again. That way the old paper keeps the foam a little cleaner.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    I use my stand a lot. When I use it for sanding I get dust on the foam rubber. It’s hard to get them clean and I don’t want a dust source where I spray so I take a strip of masking paper off the dispenser and wrap the foam. In the past I have had the paint eat into the foam when I turned the panel to soon. The paper fixes that problem too. I don’t remove the old paper until I am going to paint again. That way the old paper keeps the foam a little cleaner.

Bob K
    Yes, I wrap my pads with paper every time I paint or I have a piece of plywood I lay on top and cover that with paper.

When the pads get ratty enough take them off and replace them with pipe insulation.