TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: U-TECH Epoxy Primer Mixing error

Default U-TECH Epoxy Primer Mixing error

I just primed my car with a 2 part epoxy primer. unfortunately I used equal parts primer and hardner and now I am wondering what I should do. I did not realize it until I was sitting down to dinner with the wife telling her how good it turned out and realized I mixed it wrong. What should I do, do I have to strip the car again or will it just be difficult to scuff up to paint when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by MGA1600 View Post
    I just primed my car with a 2 part epoxy primer. unfortunately I used equal parts primer and hardner and now I am wondering what I should do. I did not realize it until I was sitting down to dinner with the wife telling her how good it turned out and realized I mixed it wrong. What should I do, do I have to strip the car again or will it just be difficult to scuff up to paint when the time comes.
    Let it go until tomorrow then place some 2" tape on it and press it down hard then rip it off fast. If the primer stays on the surface and doesn't come off on the tape I'd just scuff it and apply your next coating.

Thanks Len, I will give it a try tomorrow. If it sticks I will probably wait for a week or 2 then rough up with 400 fill some small scratches and prime again with the u-tech 350 (2:1 ratio) and scuff again then apply paint. Was going with a red, chariot red original color but the original always faded so bad and had to compound to restore to red. Have the reds improved or do I need to top coat - any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by MGA1600 View Post
    Thanks Len, I will give it a try tomorrow. If it sticks I will probably wait for a week or 2 then rough up with 400 fill some small scratches and prime again with the u-tech 350 (2:1 ratio) and scuff again then apply paint. Was going with a red, chariot red original color but the original always faded so bad and had to compound to restore to red. Have the reds improved or do I need to top coat - any recommendations?
    Yes, the longevity of the paint has improved greatly but if the car will spend a lot of it's life in the sun I'd recommend that you go with a base/clear paint job. Single stage red is a "soft" color and tends to be effected by the sun more quickly than other colors but if clear coated it will hold up much better. Use good paint if possible, low cost paint tends to age much more quickly.