TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Does this "racal" brand powered mask offer any protection

Default Does this "racal" brand powered mask offer any protection

I was given a "Racal health and safety powerflow powered air purifying system" for painting and would like opinions on it's ability to protect me. It has a well fitting full facemask, positive pressure, with a niosh and msha approved for dusts, fumes, asbestos, radionuclides. The drawback is the respirator cartridge is attached to the mask, so i am drawing the surrounding air. I will be painting Rubber Seal brand epoxy primer and high build primer, approved for So. Cal. in an outdoor homemade booth with as best of a downdraft situation as i can make. Final paint by others.
    Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ric's62 View Post
    I was given a "Racal health and safety powerflow powered air purifying system" for painting and would like opinions on it's ability to protect me. It has a well fitting full facemask, positive pressure, with a niosh and msha approved for dusts, fumes, asbestos, radionuclides. The drawback is the respirator cartridge is attached to the mask, so i am drawing the surrounding air. I will be painting Rubber Seal brand epoxy primer and high build primer, approved for So. Cal. in an outdoor homemade booth with as best of a downdraft situation as i can make. Final paint by others.
    Thanks, Rick
    One thing that bothers me about some systems is that they filter the air in the booth and feed it to you. It would be much better if the pump was located outside the contaminated area and pumped clean air to your mask. But since you're only doing the priming using this equipment you'll probably be fine, just make sure you're not smelling it as you spray.
    Last edited by Len; 04-28-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you, Len. I would be getting air from within the painting environment, though there will be air circulation. Does hobby air sell an air unit (only) i could buy to use with my mask? I think i need to look for a continued use need to justify buying a proper unit, like painting/ finishing cabinet and furniture.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ric's62 View Post
    Thank you, Len. I would be getting air from within the painting environment, though there will be air circulation. Does hobby air sell an air unit (only) i could buy to use with my mask? I think i need to look for a continued use need to justify buying a proper unit, like painting/ finishing cabinet and furniture.
    Rick
    Yes, the Hobbyair pump is located HERE.