TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: best way to remove tape adhesive?

Default best way to remove tape adhesive?

So...
    I have a customers car that had been taped off prior to coming to me (at another shop in paint jail), and when I went to pull the old tape I found that it had been on there a LOOONNNNGGG time. It looks to me like this car sat outside in the summertime for a few weeks while being taped up, and as you can imagine, the adhesive doesn't want to come off.

My question is: What is the best/quickest way to remove the old tape adhesive so that I can remask for final primer and paint?

Quote Originally Posted by coletrain777 View Post
    So...
    I have a customers car that had been taped off prior to coming to me (at another shop in paint jail), and when I went to pull the old tape I found that it had been on there a LOOONNNNGGG time. It looks to me like this car sat outside in the summertime for a few weeks while being taped up, and as you can imagine, the adhesive doesn't want to come off.

My question is: What is the best/quickest way to remove the old tape adhesive so that I can remask for final primer and paint?
    You can try a couple different things....

1. If you're not planning on painting you could spray the old tape with some WD40 and allow it to stay on the tape for several hours then try to pull it off. You probably won't want to use WD40 if you plan on painting later.

2. Avon's Skin-So-Soft applied to the the tape can help soften the hardened adhesive.

3. Heat may help soften the adhesive but it will probably allow you to remove the paper part of the tape and leave the adhesive on the car.

4. Sometimes a grease and wax remover applied several times can help soften the adhesive and allow you to remove the tape.

This is a car that I will be completing the paint process on (gotta love taking over someone's poor project) so silicone based products are out of the question. I was hoping that lacquer thinner or acetone would wipe it away but that stuff is really on there. Thanks for the ideas... any more.

Try AUTO TECH Quick and Easy adhesive remover I get it from my paint supplier works well

Have you tried Wax and Grease remover , shouldn't cause any top coat problems either , Frank

Thanks for the good ideas! I really hate taking over other people's substandard work, you never know what you are getting into

I don't know if this is silicone based or not, but how about 3M adhesive remover? I use it all the time for paint goo on finished surfaces when i get a car that had a window taped over.