TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How much reducer?

Default How much reducer?

Hi folks,

I'm shooting a tri-stage metallic color on some motorcycle fairings and have a question about how much reducer to use with the base and mid coats.

The data sheets say to use a ratio from 100:50 to 100:80 for both the base and mid. The jobber wrote 80 on the tops of the reducer cans but I remember warnings on this Forum about taking the word of the jobber without verifying.

So, question is, what are the advantages of leaning more towards the 100:50 ratio or closer to the 100:80 ratio (or somewhere in between)?

This is a metallic base (2 coats + 1 metallic orientation coat) with a transparent mid coat (3-4 wet coats) system. I'm spraying over a light gray sealer and panel temps have been hovering around 70-75F. I'm using the Devilbiss SRi Pro from Len of course. :-)

Thanks guys.

the differences are pretty small between those ratios,
    it's mainly a personnal preference sort of thing.
    It will probably spray better with more reducer, but the gun you use
    will determine what works best for you.
    Most start out with minimum reduction and add more if it
    doesn't spray or lay down as well as they like.8)

Additional reducer can cause less coverage and more coats may be needed but if you allow it to flash between coats the added reducer shouldn't hurt your effort. What kind of paint are you using?

Thanks guys.

I'm using Sikkens Autobase Plus which is made by Akzo Nobel. I'm using the TS1 high efficiency air cap that came on the SRi Pro.

Perhaps I'll try 100:60 as that's almost in the middle of the suggested range, and it's also represented on the mixing cups I get from Len so it'll be repeatable. :-) I had a hard time estimating the additional 20%, to get to 100:80, on the sides of the cups, especially when mixing such small amounts.

However, I sprayed out 3 test panels yesterday with 3, 4, and 5 coats of transparent mid coat respectively , per Len's advice. This was to determine how many coats of mid would be needed to match the color on the rest of the bike. I used the 100:80 ratio (or tried to with my own markings on the cups) for that test though, so maybe I should keep the rest of the job consistent so that I can reliably use the data from my test panels...

Quote Originally Posted by btday View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'm using Sikkens Autobase Plus which is made by Akzo Nobel. I'm using the TS1 high efficiency air cap that came on the SRi Pro.

Perhaps I'll try 100:60 as that's almost in the middle of the suggested range, and it's also represented on the mixing cups I get from Len so it'll be repeatable. :-) I had a hard time estimating the additional 20%, to get to 100:80, on the sides of the cups, especially when mixing such small amounts.

However, I sprayed out 3 test panels yesterday with 3, 4, and 5 coats of transparent mid coat respectively , per Len's advice. This was to determine how many coats of mid would be needed to match the color on the rest of the bike. I used the 100:80 ratio (or tried to with my own markings on the cups) for that test though, so maybe I should keep the rest of the job consistent so that I can reliably use the data from my test panels...
    I'm not real familiar with Autobase but I'd recommend that you mix all the recommended products... base, mid coat, reducer, hardener etc. so that you don't have any compatibility issues.

Definitely, will do. I was just surprised that the tech sheets gave a range for reducer as I thought the ratios were usually pretty specific, and rigid, from the manufacturer.

Follow the SPEC SHEET PERIOD