TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Looking for a good pearl/metallic gun

Default Looking for a good pearl/metallic gun

Any recommendations? I had looked at the Iwata LPH400 LVB. Is there another out there equivalent for a better price? Probably going to be painting a truck pearl white within the next month and want a good gun to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    Any recommendations? I had looked at the Iwata LPH400 LVB. Is there another out there equivalent for a better price? Probably going to be painting a truck pearl white within the next month and want a good gun to do it.
    For a high quality paint job I don't think that you can beat the new Tekna guns. They sell for less and can produce excellent results.

So which model would you recommend? It's going to be strictly used for pearls and metallics. I'm using my sata for clearcoat and have another gun for solids.

Any brand gun would do,sata,tekna,devilbiss. Id recommend that you geg a hvlp thou as my experince with the 7e7 air cap from tekna does waste alot of material compared to my hvlp guns.and if ur buying the paint and it being a pearl paint job might cost alot money in the end.remember it takes about 2 to 3 coats of pearl to cover ur ground coat depending on what color it.if you just put 1 coat of pearl u mighg have somd mottling problems.just something to think about .

Quote Originally Posted by s2kman92 View Post
    Any brand gun would do,sata,tekna,devilbiss. Id recommend that you geg a hvlp thou as my experince with the 7e7 air cap from tekna does waste alot of material compared to my hvlp guns.and if ur buying the paint and it being a pearl paint job might cost alot money in the end.remember it takes about 2 to 3 coats of pearl to cover ur ground coat depending on what color it.if you just put 1 coat of pearl u mighg have somd mottling problems.just something to think about .
    I hate to be disagreeable but using a compliant isn't really waisting much more material than HVLP but is does use a little more.

You're not trying to "cover" when you spray pearl, you're trying to achieve an effect. Depending on the pearl effect you want and how you mix your pearl will determine how many coats are applied. That why a test (let down) panel is usually sprayed, it tells you what one, two or three coats looks like before you commit. I never like putting more than two coats on because it starts to look like metallic and not pearl.

Yes, a compliant gun will generate more overspray because it's atomizing finer but the transfer efficiency is still over 65% that's what makes it compliant.

Idk ill make a better test next time when im.using both he and hvlp.but i honestly do feel that the hvlp saves alot more paint.for a bumper with my hvlp i can paint a bumper with 10 ounces reduced.and with the he probadly like 14 or 15 ounces reduced.its not much but imagine all the paint you save over time.like i said next time i paint ill observe more carefully.

And the whole pearl discussion,yes your right len.although i have never painted a single car that was pearl that only needed 1 coat of pearl to match the color of the car.its usually t2 to 3 coats. I guess if ur doing an all over job it dont really matter

There is no difference in material usage between my sata 3000hvlp and a tekna with the 7e7 cap.I'm a production painter and I have been using a tekna exclusively for the last year for base,it does a good job with clear,sealer ,or single stage but it is slower than my gun of choice for those products.

Quote Originally Posted by s2kman92 View Post
    if your worried about saving material,then throw them all away and just go with a turbine sprayer where 95% of your material goes on the car..

on the other hand for metallics and pearls we use the tekna copper actually thats the gun we use for all our base coats because it atomizes really fine for our clears we use the turbine..

Style;which air cap do you use for cleat?the 7e7 or the 909?

I mean jason.

Both the hvlp caps for the tekna leave little to be desired,the 7e7 is the only one worth having.In my previous post I said 7e7 air cap,I also use a 1.4 with sikkens autowave.I have also sprayed plenty of solvent base coat with it and it does a nice job and doesn't use a pile of material.I would say the reason is the lower operating pressure plays a big part.

I've got a pro lite and was wondering what pressure, tip size and air cap you guys were using for metallic and pearl basecoats.

I've got a pro lite and was wondering what pressure, tip size and air cap you guys were using for metallic and pearl basecoats.
    I've been using a 1.3 and the 7e7 for everything but I haven't tried the HVLP cap yet so that may change my mind when I try it on metallic or pearl bases. I think I run it about 30psi then I tweak it if I think the material needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've been using a 1.3 and the 7e7 for everything but I haven't tried the HVLP cap yet so that may change my mind when I try it on metallic or pearl bases. I think I run it about 30psi then I tweak it if I think the material needs it.
    My pro lite has the TE10 and TE20 caps. I think the 7E7 is for the Copper.

My pro lite has the TE10 and TE20 caps. I think the 7E7 is for the Copper.
    You're right but I think I was juggling caps from my other guns. I also use the T10 but not with metallic but it's worth a try.