TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rear panel on 67 VW bus with pin holes, how would you fix it?

Default Rear panel on 67 VW bus with pin holes, how would you fix it?

I'm starting back on my buddies 67 21window VW Bus and I blasted his little panel in the back and there are some small pin holes in it. I can not access the holes from the back unless I cut out a section of metal behind it and weld it back, so I was thinking of drilling the holes out and trying to weld them up with maybe more solid metal? The other option is to allmetal it, but I don't like that option really. I have yet to talk with him about it, just looking for options before I speak with him. I also understand that the metal will be weak in the whole area if there are already pin holes showing through.

You're probably right, that entire panel will be weak in that area and the drill and weld method may be quite difficult without being able to get to the other side.

I would say that you could either replace the entire panel, section the panel or use a moisture resistant filler like All Metal or short strand fiberglass. No matter which method of repair you choose I'd recommend that you vent the panel so that it doesn't retain moisture that caused the deterioration in the first place. If parts are NOT available the filler is probably your best bet.

My buddy is pretty much wanting to go with an original VW panel. It won't probably be seeing much of the road after it's done and should not get much moisture. He replaced the original one with this one off his parts bus. I can drill some small holes on the back side for future water drainage.

Would you indent the holes just a wee little bit before applying allmetal or fiberglass strand filler?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    Would you indent the holes just a wee little bit before applying allmetal or fiberglass strand filler?
    Yes, grind it with a coarse grit disk then tap the areas down and press your filler into the scratches and the holes.

Thanks Len, that's what I was thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    Thanks Len, that's what I was thinking too.
    If the holes get any larger I'd recommend using some foil tape over them after tapping them down.