TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rust around windshield and back window

Default Rust around windshield and back window

I'm a beginner and trying to find the best way to repair the rust around my front and back window. I've never welded before but I do have a Lincoln 140 MIG welder. So far I've removed the front windshield and can see the damage. I will be removing the back window soon but can tell in the cornerns that I'll need to weld in some new metal. I've attached some pictures to show what I have so far, and I'm looking for some good suggestions on how to proceed with this kind of repair. The rest of the roof is in pretty good shape, but in the rear of the roof there is a lot of filler that was used by someone who repaired it for the owner before me. Looks like the vinly top dug into the metal or something.

Would replacing the entire roof be a good idea? Or would patching in some metal for the rusted areas be better? Or is there a better alternative?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pics of the back window

sorry these are the back window pictures flipped so you can view it better (left and right side of back window)

On the front window you can probably get away with applying some Picklex 20 over the cleaned up rusted area then epoxy primer then a little fiberglass paste to fill the holes then paint before reinstalling the glass and moldings.

On the back window I would remove the glass and replace the rusted metal by welding in new metal then epoxy prime and seal it with a "good" urethane sealer then paint before reinstalling the glass and moldings.

Note: I would recommend reinstalling the molding clips before reinstalling the glass, it's a lot easier than putting them back after the glass is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    On the front window you can probably get away with applying some Picklex 20 over the cleaned up rusted area then epoxy primer then a little fiberglass paste to fill the holes then paint before reinstalling the glass and moldings.

On the back window I would remove the glass and replace the rusted metal by welding in new metal then epoxy prime and seal it with a "good" urethane sealer then paint before reinstalling the glass and moldings.

Note: I would recommend reinstalling the molding clips before reinstalling the glass, it's a lot easier than putting them back after the glass is in.

Len, thanks as always.

What size metal would I buy to replace the area around the back window? Also what size would i use for the bottom of fenders, and for patching up holes where i removed the door handles?

Len hit the nail on the head, I have done several window channel repairs. Blast it if you can, wire brush it, picklex then Zero Rust. The Dynatron Milled Glass is awesome! It seals like a filler does not. It is perfect for that application.