TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: MC gas tank repair

Default MC gas tank repair

I want to repair and paint this gas tank from a 1973 Yamaha 80. The metal is very thick and I have been unable to manipulate the dent from the inside. I think it's too deep to simply fill, and since I don't do a lot of body work anymore, I really don't want to invest in an expensive tool to make the repair. I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_0476.jpg

I would probably fill the tank with water if it had a gas smell and use my stud welder to weld a bunch of pins in the deep spots then secure the tank and use a slide hammer to pull on the studs.

Post is a little old for a reply , but something to think about , have you considered pumping some air into the tank ,naturally filler and any other ports will have to be plugged , use a regulator to regulate the inside pressure , then gingerly work the edges of the dent on the outside , or a 1500 watt heat gun and a can of CO2 , you may get lucky Frank

Back in the day, (before pin spotters) I would just knock a few holes and use my "jerker" to pull the dents, then weld up the holes.

The welding process on a fuel tank is pretty straight forward. Hook yer shop vac hose to the exhaust on yer car, and then to the filler on the tank, start the car, exhaust will purge any oxygen,
    leave car running while welding up holes.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerooster View Post
    Back in the day, (before pin spotters) I would just knock a few holes and use my "jerker" to pull the dents, then weld up the holes.

The welding process on a fuel tank is pretty straight forward. Hook yer shop vac hose to the exhaust on yer car, and then to the filler on the tank, start the car, exhaust will purge any oxygen,
    leave car running while welding up holes.
    And if you are still alive or coherent after breathing all that carbon monoxide while welding you can now proceed to the metal finishing stage. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by All Dry View Post
    And if you are still alive or coherent after breathing all that carbon monoxide while welding you can now proceed to the metal finishing stage. Mike
    S'posed ta hold yer breath.

Actually I do it outside, or in a well ventilated area.

I do motorcycle fairings and tank repairs. I work cheap and have the proper tools.