TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting a white Nissan Armada black

Default Painting a white Nissan Armada black

I'm doing an all over on a white Nissan Armada. I've got a gallon of black Transtar kwik seal 2k urethane sealer. On the can it says mix 4 parts sealer to 1 part activator to 1 part reducer. When I bought it they only sold me the activator to go with it. Can this be sprayed without being reduced? On top of the sealer I've got Dupont Chromabase 99k black. As for clearcoat...I'm a little undecided. How much do you think I will need to do the whole car jambs and all? I plan on putting 2-3 coats on the exterior. Will a gallon on Nason 465 do it? My options are Nason 465, 497, 498 or the local shop sells Zolatone which is 7.5 l sprayable.

If the white paint on your nissan is factory paint i wouldn't worry about sealing it, a gallon of paint should do the trick...however it wouldn't hurt to use a black primer/surfacer... but not necessary unless you hit bare metal or use bondo. I'm not entirely familiar with the different DuPont paint systems, but make sure that if you're using the chromabase basecoat make sure you use a compatible clear... aka from the chromabase paint system, i know nason is DuPont brand but i believe it's a different paint system (i may be wrong, but i believe nason=acrylic and chroma=urethane). Be sure to ask your paint supplier, they "should" know what is compatible with what. I hope this helps

I'm putting a sealer on it so I don't use as much basecoat. I know all about the basecoats/clearcoats just didn't know if someone had done an overall and knew about how much it would take on clear.

As far as mixing your sealer-4 parts, activator-1 part, and reducer-1 part. I would do what the label recommends... however the purpose of the reducer is to thin the sealer, it should harden without it... but it's going to go on thicker, and your likely to have more orange peel as an amateur painter.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    I'm putting a sealer on it so I don't use as much basecoat. I know all about the basecoats/clearcoats just didn't know if someone had done an overall and knew about how much it would take on clear.
    Your Armada is a little bigger than most the vehicles I've done but I've only ever used about 3/4 the gallon of clear doing 2-3 coats. That's with a 2k urethane clear 4 parts to 1 part activator and no reducer. (yes i did all the door jams of course)

Never used this sealer before and since the guy at the shop sold it to me without a reducer I thought it may be fine to spray without reduction but wanted to see if anyone had used it before without being reduced. And as for an amateur painter...it isn't my regular job but I think I do ok...

touche very nice!!

Depending on what clear you use a good HS clear you would use at least 3 sprayable litres on a large vehicle like that for 2 coats,so buy a gallon kit to be safe.

[QUOTE=xtremekustomz;197010]Never used this sealer before and since the guy at the shop sold it to me without a reducer I thought it may be fine to spray without reduction but wanted to see if anyone had used it before without being reduced. And as for an amateur painter...it isn't my regular job but I think I do ok...

man its looks amazing what clear and paint gun you use on this cars?

Quote Originally Posted by DssMasterPR View Post
    man its looks amazing what clear and paint gun you use on this cars?
    Thanks. The tank has some Nason 497-00 and the truck is Dupont 7500s I think it was. As for the gun it was a Satajet 3000rp 1.3

Black Chromabase usually covers well, even over a lighter colored sealer, however DuPont's Super Jet Black basecoat 9900s covers VERY well. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about putting it over a white substrate without it covering in two coats.

Sounds like you've already purchased your color so it's probably too late anyway...

SG