TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: So very frustrated!

Default So very frustrated!

So I painted a 63 slit window Corvette about four weeks ago and it looks great.........but, there is one place I did not strip on the car where the shop (good reputation) put the front end on and did some mud work right on the front nose piece. Well there are little bubbles coming up in about an eight inch round area. I did not want to strip it, because I trusted their work. Now I'm not sure if I can just blend the silver in and reclear the front?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    So I painted a 63 slit window Corvette about four weeks ago and it looks great.........but, there is one place I did not strip on the car where the shop (good reputation) put the front end on and did some mud work right on the front nose piece. Well there are little bubbles coming up in about an eight inch round area. I did not want to strip it, because I trusted their work. Now I'm not sure if I can just blend the silver in and reclear the front?
    I would think you could take it back to the people that did the work. If you need to fix it you will probably need to remove the paint and grind or sand down into the filler enough to apply a new layer of glass or filler to remove the bubbles then re-prime and re-paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I would think you could take it back to the people that did the work. If you need to fix it you will probably need to remove the paint and grind or sand down into the filler enough to apply a new layer of glass or filler to remove the bubbles then re-prime and re-paint.
    I'm going to talk to my friend who owns the car and see what he wants to do. I will have to grind out all the mud and start over in that area. I just hope the silver will match OK and I wonder if I can avoid putting color on the whole job, or if I can blend the color and just clear the top of the front end?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I'm going to talk to my friend who owns the car and see what he wants to do. I will have to grind out all the mud and start over in that area. I just hope the silver will match OK and I wonder if I can avoid putting color on the whole job, or if I can blend the color and just clear the top of the front end?
    That's probably what I would do. Depending on the paint you're using you may be better off laying a coat of clear beyond the area to be blended then apply your color then clear the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's probably what I would do. Depending on the paint you're using you may be better off laying a coat of clear beyond the area to be blended then apply your color then clear the top.
    I just finished a repair on a car with a similar problem. I removed the blemish with 600 wet on a hard block. I did break thru to the sealer. I went to 800 wet and blocked that out another 6 inches or so then scuffed the rest of the panel with a grey scotch brite pad soaked with a surface prep paste until I had a dull panel. Degreased and tacked off the panel and shot a sealer over the area I broke thru. Spot in the area, then layed down a transition coat of base to the panel. Blended in 2 coats of base and cleared the panel. It come out nearly flawless. (damn dust)
    Thanks To Len, My SRi Pro, and GTI running clear in DeKups.. I was able to have all this mixed ahead of time and the repair took me about 3.5 hours including clean up and beer break during flash times!

I'm worried the guys who put the front end on the Corvette put mud over the old lacquer paint? I will need to probably dig it out and then remud over the area. I will take it one step at a time.

would there have been any reason for the shop to drill holes in the panel... some filler will react to moisture in an expanding way and cause to bubble... of course there isnt going to be any rust so that wouldnt be a reason... but it sounds like to me some moisture would have an effect...