TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Detroit vs. Hutchins

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Brian
    Have you used an AirVantage? I've never seen an orbital sander that worked as well. I think it's because of its low profile that makes it a lot easier to control and it keeps the pressure very evenly distributed on the face of the pad.
    No I haven't but the dynabrade is so nice I never drifted.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M View Post
    Other than the lower center of gravity why is the airvantage better IYO ?The airvantage/3m/mac/mirka sander is basically the same sander made in china.Not saying it isn't any good as I have 2 of them and they perform pretty good,but for a few bucks more you can get an american made dynabrade.I heard a rumour that an engineer from dynabrade left the company and started making the airvantage offshore,guess thats why it looks like a dyanbrade.
    Are you sure that DB is made in the US? With a short amount of research it appears that they are made in India but like AirVantage they have offices in the US. But I only looked HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Are you sure that DB is made in the US? With a short amount of research it appears that they are made in India but like AirVantage they have offices in the US. But I only looked HERE.
    The first page says "made in the USA"? http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn10/intro...ark/index.html Unless of course it's a shell game and the components are all made in India and just assembled here?

Brian

That isn't a rumor Jayson, it is a fact. The chief engineer of Dynabrade did design the AirVantage sander. I know this because I know him personally and visit with him at the SEMA show when he attends which he does with some frequency. I don't know the details of the rift between him and Dynabrade but it was not a friendly parting.

I like the AirVantage slightly better than the Dynabrade Supreme for two reasons. One is the lower center of gravity which I consider to be a big deal and the second is that all of my sanders are central vacuum sanders and on these models AirVantage uses a swivel connection to the vacuum hose which is better than the solid connection used by Dynabrade as the hose doesn't kink. Also, as I mentioned, the AirVantage requires and uses very little oil which considering you’re going to be painting the surface that it’s sanding is sort of a good thing from the fisheye point of view.

I've discussed the use of P3000 Trizact with the old school National Detroit or C-P sanders previously on this board. I found out from a 3M source at the SEMA show that this material likes large throw sanders and since it is used wet there is little concern for pigtailing from the big throw as there certainly is with finishing film. The big advantage of the large throw is in the speed of getting the job done. You are polishing 5X faster with the 3/8" throw of these machines over a 3/32" tool. That's the difference in the distance a point on the surface of the 3/8" tool moves in comparison to the distance the same point would move with a 3/32" machine. Getting done quicker is always good.

The shop I work at also has central vac and the swivel hose is a non issue in my opinion,my sanders have a smaller dedicated vacuum hose/airline on them that gets hooked into the main vacuum line.As far as oiling is concerned if your sanders are spewing oil when you use them you are putting in too much oil,a drop or two is all thats needed once or twice a week as long as you have good dry air.

I never noticed the lower center of gravity but I will go out to the garage and compare the dynabrade sander to the mirka(identical to airvantage) one I have just for kicks.

Well I ordered the dynabrade silversupreme, with the 3/16 throw. Gonna use it for some bondo/putty work, and sanding panels. Hopefully ill have more money soon to purchase a mud hog. I'll have to make it work for now tho. Thanks for the help you guys.

I own ND and Hutchins DA’s Im also looking to get newer sanders as mine are 10+ years old only had to replace the bearing head on the ND once only because it had be dropped. I to have been looking at the Dynabrade and the 3M just don’t know yet which one I want...
    I use the ND one just purely for fast material removal only as it is a hog and will strip a panel in no time
    the hutchins is my final sander has a nice balanced feel to it I could run it with one finger on the paddle. but its outdated like others mentioned and I would like to get a nicer one for clearcoat sanding.
    Hutchins are a good durable tool, but they are really heavy, bulky and outdated. I think most people (myself included) would recommend tools from Bob Smith Tools. I took the BO5041 5-Inch makita orbital sander. With her I understood what jewelry work is, it works much cleaner and quieter, and its speed of 12000 rpm minute it’s something incredible. It also has double insulation, and the dust is not so much considering how much dust came out of my old typewriter.
    Last edited by Blackmore; 01-15-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
    I own ND and Hutchins DAís Im also looking to get newer sanders as mine are 10+ years old only had to replace the bearing head on the ND once only because it had be dropped. I to have been looking at the Dynabrade and the 3M just donít know yet which one I want...
    I use the ND one just purely for fast material removal only as it is a hog and will strip a panel in no time
    the hutchins is my final sander has a nice balanced feel to it I could run it with one finger on the paddle. but its outdated like others mentioned and I would like to get a nicer one for clearcoat sanding.
    another old thread i see. you must be new here, welcome. lots of good stuff to read and people here willing to give real good advice.
    look at the airvantage sanders in the store section. i use one and love it.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    another old thread i see. you must be new here, welcome. lots of good stuff to read and people here willing to give real good advice.
    In fact AirVantage makes the same sanders for many other companies and private labels them for those companies. Check them out on the link below.

I have both the 3/32 and the 3/16 throw Airvantage, as long as they continue to produce a quality product I'll never change. Well balance and lots of torque. My only gripe with this DA is the air regulator location as I can't keep my big ass hands from hitting the paddle regulator which changes the set speed.

Default GLAD!!!

Yeah, an older thread, however, I'm glad it was brought back up. It shows quite a lot of history by some good people of the forum. And I'm also impressed it was from 2012 showing again, the great continuity of this great place we all come to. And I have considered Dennis M Schmidt a resident EXPERT at what he has to say: now and long before 2012!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Yeah, an older thread, however, I'm glad it was brought back up. It shows quite a lot of history by some good people of the forum. And I'm also impressed it was from 2012 showing again, the great continuity of this great place we all come to. And I have considered Dennis M Schmidt a resident EXPERT at what he has to say: now and long before 2012!

Henry
    got that right henry, a lot of folks have come and gone, some have been here for a long time, but the quality of advice and good conversation is consistent throughout. i've read a lot of the older threads and got a ton of good ideas and things to sharpen up my skills.
    it's always nice when the resident experts chime in, and their advice is good as gold.
    b marler

Default Yes sir...

got that right henry, a lot of folks have come and gone, some have been here for a long time, but the quality of advice and good conversation is consistent throughout. i've read a lot of the older threads and got a ton of good ideas and things to sharpen up my skills.
    it's always nice when the resident experts chime in, and their advice is good as gold.
    Solid As a Rock! or my home away from home is my view of this site as for almost 23yrs! Where has the time gone?

ANYWAY: For anyone who does not know, in addition to the FORUM for information, this site does have a section titled, "CLASSROOM" where more categorized information is gathered on commonly asked related subjects. To get there, go to the top left corner of any screen here and click on HOME. From there, you'll see a link to CLASSROOM (third item down) on the left of the page. Click it and a major dropdown will appear leading to another dropdown with many areas of interest.

Several of our members have contributed content on these items along with LEN. One large section is BASICS of BASICS and was written by our member, 'MARTINSR'.

Stuck on something and need further information? Check out the CLASSROOM!

Henry