TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new video up! rocker panels/56 Nomad/ 68 Chevelle/ painting rims

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M View Post
    Simple Bob,mix your ready to spray clear to the equal amount of reducer.So if you have a half pint of clear add a half pint of reducer.Now you have a great wetbed for blending tough metallics or a barrier coat for cut thrus.Obviously you won't need that much,just an example to show you the reduction.

This is so important, I am sorry, I am going to beat a dead horse until it whimpers. You did just say "mix your ready to spray clear to the equal amount of reducer.So if you have a half pint of clear add a half pint of reducer." that is OVER a hundred percent reduction! And that is not a good "barrier" for cut thrus as it is full of solvent and going to do just what you don't want to do, introduce MORE solvent to the sensitive area!

I understand about the blend area, I have never done that as there are products "colorless basecoat" that do just that. But I can't for the life of me understand over reducing the clear to correct a sensitive area.

Clear me up (if you will pardon the pun) on this, what am I missing. I don't paint every day anymore and I certainly have forgotten a bunch, so help me out here. Is the over reduced clear then dusted on with super light coats and the solvent is flashing off basically before it really hits the panel? I just don't get this as I have never seen it on any tech sheet either.

Brian

I really don't know how to clear it up for you but it is a SOP for spies and basf for a wetbed blend and it also works for a sensitive spot,just dust on a light coat is all.In no way shape or form am I saying to over reduce your clear to make it flow out better,that is just stupid Think of a wet bed,nothing more,it works.Sikkens used to have a product called basefix and now blending additive(which is a similar product) to use as a barrier coat.Over reduced clear is not as sensitive as base coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M View Post
    I really don't know how to clear it up for you but it is a SOP for spies and basf for a wetbed blend and it also works for a sensitive spot,just dust on a light coat is all.In no way shape or form am I saying to over reduce your clear to make it flow out better,that is just stupid Think of a wet bed,nothing more,it works.Sikkens used to have a product called basefix and now blending additive(which is a similar product) to use as a barrier coat.Over reduced clear is not as sensitive as base coat.
    Thanks, ok, I guess I am getting the idea. I have always just dusted the sensitive area. But I guess if it was reduced a bit more and not applied wet, this could help. I never thought of it that way but yeah, I can see it working. Cool, thanks.

Brian