TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Who makes the BEST sandpaper

Default Who makes the BEST sandpaper

Hello all. I am just about to spend a few bucks on some paper-and wanted to share my observations.

I want to know who makes the "best" sandpaper--

The best sandpaper is the one that combines the best value of cost of material, with labor cost and final product quality.

I have bought 3m paper in the past--and some of it really rocked--lasted forever--still cutting fast-- reasonable price.

BUT>>> some of the 3m stuff sucked---it quit cutting in 10 seconds- and it also was not cheap.

I have had batches of Mirka gold that seemed totally different from each other--.

I would be willing to pay a premium for my paper if that is where the "TRUE" value is.

In the past I have bought some Norton sanding belts for my day job (machine shop) and they cost almost twice as much,, but have outperformed other brands at least 10 to 1 .

While trying to flatten some mud yesterday--my paper on my DA would quit scratching after about 15 seconds--and the rate of dust-making goes way down-and the heat seems to go way up.

What are the professionals buying these days??
    (please be VERY specific in make and model)

looking for Da and Longboard paper

Thanks
    Mike

I'm with you on the paper thing. Not a pro but I had been buying some 80grit 3M longboard paper - psa back, precut length. Didn't realize the difference until I bought a continuous roll of 80 grit psa paper - Norton brand. The Norton just cut and cut and cut. $40 for a 25yard roll vs. about a buck a sheet for the 3M. For me, Norton's the clear winner in this case.

My experience is that Norton is probably the best all around sandpaper as far as lasting ability and cost effectiveness.

Do a search on this board. This topic came up before and the answer was not simple. The pros listed the papers they used for different situations and why they used them.

Default That's right!

Different sandpapers manufacturered by different companies may be better at certain jobs. While some companies make a wide range of paper some may be the best at doing a certain thing but when it comes to doing another job they may fall short of producing a quality product.

Like Phil, I like Norton for some jobs and I like 3M for some other jobs. Most of the paper I use is from these two companies because they are well designed and cost effective. I've also started using Mirka for some work and I'm starting to like it also.