TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Dabbing some clear in low spot?

Default Dabbing some clear in low spot?

So I cut and buffed the 63 split window I shot silver. There is one little area that is low on the hood. It's where a bug landed. It is very small, about a 3/16 circle. I was thinking about scuffing it with 1000 grit and dropping a bit of clear in it, then wet sanding it and buff? The rest of the hood looks great and I hate to reclear the hood just for that one spot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    So I cut and buffed the 63 split window I shot silver. There is one little area that is low on the hood. It's where a bug landed. It is very small, about a 3/16 circle. I was thinking about scuffing it with 1000 grit and dropping a bit of clear in it, then wet sanding it and buff? The rest of the hood looks great and I hate to reclear the hood just for that one spot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I've done this type of repair a few times, after you drop in the clear and it hardens you need to cut the high spot with a coarse grit (320 or 400) wet sandpaper on a hard flat block then go over it with some 800, 1500 then 2500 on the same hard block before polishing. We use these same blocks that we use for removing runs.

LINK

I may have to order some of those blocks Len. I don't have time to get them before I do the repair, but I will find something to use.

Sorry to jack your thread, but would that also work for a solvent pop crator?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I may have to order some of those blocks Len. I don't have time to get them before I do the repair, but I will find something to use.
    The good part about the "Run Blockers" is that they are different shapes for different situations and you can get a good grip on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
    Sorry to jack your thread, but would that also work for a solvent pop crator?
    Yes, this also works for solvent pop (and fisheyes) but sometimes there are so many solvent pop craters that it just pays to sand and repaint.

Yeah i found 3 in the hood.