TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: advice on popping dents out of bumper cover

Default advice on popping dents out of bumper cover

Is it possible to pop a dent out of the corner of my bumper cover ?

I've read that you can remove the cover and use a heat gun from the backside and push the dent out using the back of a hammer handle or similar blunt object.

I'll get some pics, but anybody with experience who can give me advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TiM

autobodytech43 Guest

yeah but you have to use water on a rag to lock it in while hot.

Quote Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
    Is it possible to pop a dent out of the corner of my bumper cover ?

I've read that you can remove the cover and use a heat gun from the backside and push the dent out using the back of a hammer handle or similar blunt object.

I'll get some pics, but anybody with experience who can give me advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TiM
    It all depends on how good you want the job to turn out. Heating and pushing can remove most of the damage but it usually leaves some surface irregularities. In most case you'll need to do a little sanding, filling, sanding and primer sanding to get it perfect.

Check out this kid....He's not too shabby. Known him for awhile. He just started doing bumpers 1-2 yrs ago.
    Hope this answers some questions. Beginners and some "pros" should use hand blocks instead of the D/A.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnZOH...ljfSPmEHywCJlj
    [SIGPIC]

Ok...took off the bumper cover today. That was easy.
    Used a heat gun and popped the dent out pretty well.

Like you guys said it will require some sanding and filling, repainting.
    It started raining today so it re-installed it and will get back at it once the weather stops sucking.

I watched the you tube video link and realized there are some talented guys out there who really know their stuff.
    I'm not much more than a determined financially challenged HVAC mechanic with tools and loves to take stuff apart and fix-em.

Can you recommend some of the proper flexible filler and prep items I will need?
    Thanks guys,
    TiM

Quote Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
    Ok...took off the bumper cover today. That was easy.
    Used a heat gun and popped the dent out pretty well.

Like you guys said it will require some sanding and filling, repainting.
    It started raining today so it re-installed it and will get back at it once the weather stops sucking.

I watched the you tube video link and realized there are some talented guys out there who really know their stuff.
    I'm not much more than a determined financially challenged HVAC mechanic with tools and loves to take stuff apart and fix-em.

Can you recommend some of the proper flexible filler and prep items I will need?
    Thanks guys,
    TiM
    Tim
    If you're just talking about filling minor surface irregularities I'd recommend scuffing the surface with some 120 or 180 grit then coating the area with some Poly Flex and blocking it off with some 120 and finishing the sanding with 180 before you apply adhesion promoter and flexible primer. Apply guide coat block the primer with some 400 grit wet then paint it. Be sure to press your filler into the surface scratches so that it bonds well with the plastic.

NOTE: If you use a grit that is too coarse it will cause the plastic to shred and string causing it to be more difficult to repair.