TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here... accurate estimate?

Default New here... accurate estimate?

I was quoted for $700. Includes realigning the frame, new hood and fender, all painted. Here's a picture:

IMAG0157.jpg

That sounds like you’re getting a lot for the money. Did he say if it was for aftermarket parts? Did he leave an out for unseen damage? Do you know the person or shop? Do you have a second opinion from a shop you know and trust? Is it insurance work or just out of your pocket? What kind of car and what year? You leave a lot of information for us to ask about.

I would fix it for less than that for a friend of mine but I wouldn’t do it that cheap a stranger. I guess it’s about how hungry the shop is and how demanding you are about the quality of the work.

Bob K

Sorry! It's an 03 Toyota Corolla. The bumper will also need to be replaced. He estimated a total of 1,000 for everything. I got quoted at a different shop for 1500. I will have to wait until I get some extra money since it's out of pocket, but my question is it ok if it's exposed like that? A little ghetto but would you suggest putting some tape there until I get it fixed? (22- year old woman here, haha)

new hood, new fender, blend door. seems cheap to me. whats wrong with the frame?

OK so is it 700, is it 1000 or is it 1500

Idk he said he was going to rebend the frame back?

Its 1000 for a new bumper, fender, hood, rebend frame and aligning and paint or 1500 at a different shop.

I agree with Bob in that there are a lot of unanswered questions that would have to answered before anyone can assess the real damage and what it would take to repair that damage. Starting with a picture of the front end showing the damaged bumper. What kind of accident was it ? Front end impact ? side impact at the bumper/fender ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey011 View Post
    I was quoted for $700. Includes realigning the frame, new hood and fender, all painted. Here's a picture:

IMAG0157.jpg
    not enough info post more pics!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. The accident was I slid off an exit ramp, hit a sign and then sign fell on top of the hood.

I was wondering if I could buy the parts myself and bring them to the shop and have them put on? I'm 22 post college woman who is just trying to save some money. Thanks for everyone's help!

There is a CertiFit store in Addison, IL. My catalog that’s about a year old shows a fender $35, hood $80, bumper cover $55 and bumper reinforcement $30. They sell them cheaper if you walk into the store. They also have headlights and grills but you didn’t say you needed them so I didn’t price them. So far that’s a little less than $200 in parts. From your explanation it could be very minor damage to the car. You can call them at 630-458-9800 and see exactly what the parts will cost. I’ve used parts from them and I’ve been impressed with the quality you get for the price they charge. If you can’t get there with a small truck then shipping can be painful.

Last year I did a fair amount of work on a Corolla for a friend and I have to say it is a very easy car to work on. Don’t you have a boyfriend or uncle or father that can install the parts for you? Painting can be a hassle though if you don’t know someone with an air compressor and gun.

As far as getting a shop to paint and install the parts, well that’s a question you need to ask a shop near you.

Bob K

Default When you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by casey011 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. The accident was I slid off an exit ramp, hit a sign and then sign fell on top of the hood.

I was wondering if I could buy the parts myself and bring them to the shop and have them put on? I'm 22 post college woman who is just trying to save some money. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Do you take a steak to a restaurant and ask the chef to cook it for you? That is the typical response you'll get from a bodyshop since part of the money they make is on the parts. Cost a lot of money to do bodywork so they all have to pay the bills somehow. Also, many of the aftermarket parts don't fit so well and take more fine tuning to get a good fit. On occasion some parts need to be sent back so if your parts had an ill fit you're on the hook. They would tell you up front this is an as is job.

For you, I would ask around for a shop that might work with you or a worker from a shop who does work on his own time. Someone in and out of junk yards might even look there for a car like yours, find the same color and use those parts. You might also check with local Technical Schools that take work in so students can learn and the labor rate is smaller.

We still can't see enough of a photo to make a good judgement call on price so post more pics. Henry

Thank you for the store; however, it's near Chicago and I am in central Indiana so it's out of the question. I will have to call the shop and see how he feels about me bringing the parts to him, having them install it and paint. My dad would probably not feel comfortable trying to put them on for me.

Here's the front:

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

I don't know what to say, in my world here in the SF bay area that damage is in the $thousands, three to five thousand.

And I don't care if you are out in a part of the country where the labor rate is at $40 it is STILL way over $700 so I don't see you getting a proper repair for $700.

Brian

Based on the information supplied along with the pictures I don't see anything that would indicate frame damage of any type. Unless you tore stuff up under the car ?

Here is a breakdown of a real life estimate - paint and materials $200.00. Paint labor to paint the front clip blend into the front doors $400. Front R. Fender (aftermarket) $140.00, Hood (aftermarket) $175.00, Bumper cover (aftermarket) $180. Frame time - I would not put a car on a frame rack for less than $200. The is a good chance that some of the mounting studs on the right headlight assy are broken (headlight will not align properly and could be loose) Cost of new (aftermarket headlight - if needed) $220.00 Body labor - $240.00

So you're at $1525 (plus tax) and close to $1800 if it needs a headlight. That is assuming there is not more hidden damage (very good possibility there is hidden damage) which could bring it up to $2,500 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Based on the information supplied along with the pictures I don't see anything that would indicate frame damage of any type. Unless you tore stuff up under the car ?

Here is a breakdown of a real life estimate - paint and materials $200.00. Paint labor to paint the front clip blend into the front doors $400. Front R. Fender (aftermarket) $140.00, Hood (aftermarket) $175.00, Bumper cover (aftermarket) $180. Frame time - I would not put a car on a frame rack for less than $200. The is a good chance that some of the mounting studs on the right headlight assy are broken (headlight will not align properly and could be loose) Cost of new (aftermarket headlight - if needed) $220.00 Body labor - $240.00

So you're at $1525 (plus tax) and close to $1800 if it needs a headlight. That is assuming there is not more hidden damage (very good possibility there is hidden damage) which could bring it up to $2,500 or more.

Also keep in mind that a lot of bodyshops will write a low estimate just to get the job in the door. Then they call you and say " there is more hidden damage that we couldn't see (sometimes true, sometimes not) and they need more money to repair your car. Anywhere from a little more money to a lot more money. If a shop gives you a low estimate then have them sign an affidavit saying that they will stick to the stated price of the original estimate and the cost of repairs will not go up for any reason. BEFORE you drop the car off for repairs. (you will find that they will not sign that affidavit in most cases). that would be a serious red flag or cause for concern for you. If they won't sign that affidavit then don't let them touch your car.