TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cut and buff question?

Default Cut and buff question?

Does anyone sand the whole car completely before buffing the car out? I tend to have a hard time doing that. I like to do a section at a time and catch things as I'm going.

Any negatives or positives about how to go about it?

Also, how many hours do you normally have in cutting it and buffing it out if it's a nice job? I know jobs are different and some take longer than others, just looking for a ball park?

I sand the whole thing at once, doing all one grit before moving to the next, then polish. Sanding makes a mess and I dont want to clean it up any more times than I already have to.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    Does anyone sand the whole car completely before buffing the car out? I tend to have a hard time doing that. I like to do a section at a time and catch things as I'm going.

Also, how many hours do you normally have in cutting it and buffing it out if it's a nice job? I know jobs are different and some take longer than others, just looking for a ball park?
    On a medium to large car I can usually get all the nibbing and sanding sanding with 1500 and 3000 Trizact on my AirVantage done in a day. If I do this sanding by hand it will take from three to four days and be a lot more work. After I sand the car one day I can polish it in another day using the right tools and materials.

I do all my sanding before I start buffing because polishing can throw contaminants onto other panels so they would need to be cleaned but sanding all at one time eliminates the need to keep cleaning.

I figured that was the common practice.

I still wet sand, so it takes about four days to do it right for me. I was just wondering if I am just slow lol I probably am, but I try not to miss anything and not burn through anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post

I sand my cars panel by panel airvantage with 800 or1000 then 1500 then 3000 then compound Polish etc I spend 2 days 35 hrs.. the reason I go panel by panel is If I burn it and have to re paint a panel I don't have to resand the whole car again from overspray...since useing I don't have anywhere near the over spray I used to but its just an old habit..and it works well for me..

2 days 35 hours? Are you saying you work 35 hours in 2 days???!!!

If I push my body to the limit then I am able to sand a whole car in one day.
    But it is not worth feeling like dying after the days work.

Quote Originally Posted by gtome View Post
    2 days 35 hours? Are you saying you work 35 hours in 2 days???!!!
    what ever it takes to get the job done ,yes i average 2to3hrs a day sleep until mid next month..

I usually finish with 2000 grit. What are the advantages to finishing with 3000 grit?

i do one side at a time. i don't like to leave stuff wet sanded overnight because its harder to bring to a shine..... i always hit it really hard with 3000 on a DA..... it really cuts down on compounding time. and hand sand the rest of the car by hand....start with 1500 usually that's all it needs...if its real scaly we'll 1000 it with a DA but tats pretty rare.