TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: drain tank

Default drain tank

as most of you know i have the 60 gal oil lubed craftsman air compressor. I just finished installing it and i was reading through the book and it says to drain the compressor at the end of each day or use. i was wondering if this was true and how many people actualy do this. At work we kept the compressor ful the whole time.

thanks

I think it means to drain the tank not the oil from the compressor..

Take Care
    Earl
    Take Care
    Earl

MY Project
    www.ranchero65.com

yeah i know it means drain the air, but at my last job we left the tank full the whole time. we never drained it so i was wondering wo emptys everyday and who keeps it full. thanks

When I managed a Goodyear Store, we had 2 very large 2-stage compressors that were capable of keeping up with 12 service bays 6 days a week 11 hours a day. I had my employees drain both tanks at least once a week and more during the summer months. My home compressor is a 5hp single stage Craftsman and it accumilates moisture extremely fast. I find that I have to drain it very often. I never really realized how much and how fast moisture gets in the tank until I installed a filter/regulator. The filter would trap a 1/4" of standing water after approx 1 hour of use - even after draining the tank overnight. Granted it's hot and humid here in Ga, but I don't want to take any chances of blowing water when I'm spraying anything.
    Also:
    water+metal = rust
    rust+120PSI = BOOM!

Drain it as often as you can.

Norman , I open the valve on my tank almost everyday but I only open it long enough to drain the water . As long as all the water is out if the tank I see no need to drain it completely. I tried one of those harbor Frieght auto drain kits DON'T waste your money, it worked only for a short time before it croked..
    Take Care
    Earl

MY Project
    www.ranchero65.com

so even though craftsman says to let all of the air out of the tank after your done it will still be ok to leave it full of air as long as i drain the water out. I just didn't know if it was ok to sit at 150psi all the time even if it is not in use.

thanks for the help