TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: HVLP Gun - Air Compressor size

Default HVLP Gun - Air Compressor size

I just bought a Finishline HVLP gun. The specs on it require 13cfm at 40 psi. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Campbell Haufeld 60 gal compressor. Unfortunately the compressor puts out 11.7 cfm at 40 psi. Will this gun properly function with this compressor or should I pass on the deal and get one that exceeds the cfm requirements. I am a novice at painting and probably won't be doing more than a car or two.

Just wanted to say this is my first post, but I have been on this site numerous times. There is some great info passed on here and I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all help.

Default CFM requirements

While the gun uses more CFM than the compressor puts out you can probably get away with this compressor because it has a big enough storage tank (60 gal.) to allow you to get around the car without dropping pressure. The problem (in my opinion) is that it's a CH compressor and is "used". This is an economy model to start out and may give you problems other than it's CFM, I'd be real careful about purchasing a used CH compressor.

Thanks Len. I was on the fence about the buying this compressor, but after getting your response I am going to stay away from it and put a few extra bucks into a better one.

Thanks again - Happy Holidays

DMT, what was the guy asking for the air compressor ? A comparable new one can be bought for less than $500. Campbell Hausfield has been making air compressors for a long time. I have had a couple smaller ones over the years ( 3 - 5 hp, 20 - 24 gallon tanks) and for the price they were pretty hard to beat. Does the aircompressor you were thinking of buying look like its had a hard life ? Most compressors like that in reality see very little use. Make sure the pump is made out of cast iron. About the only thing that ever goes to hell on those compressors is the electric motor and the reed valves. the valves are easy to get, inexpensive and easy to change. If its had a hard life then the piston rings could be worn and the pump could be pumping oil along with the air. Check the outlet of the air tank and see if there is oil residue around it, if there is - pass on buying it. You stated you plan on doing only one or two cars with it. That being the case the compressor should fill your needs, not ideal but it will get the job done. I have a $2,500 Quincy air compressor, it makes me money so I can justify the cost.

Hi Phil,
    the seller is asking $300 for the compressor. He gave me a story that the compressor has been sitting in his garage for years. He moved it there from another garage, but has since never had a new 220 line run. He told me it was bought to run a paint gun by his son, but the business he started never got off the ground. He told me it is in excellent shape and has been used very few times and looks brand new.