TheCoatingStore.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Electric DA Sander

  1. #1

    Default Electric DA Sander

    Anyone suggest what the title says? I have all the air one's for the garage. Looking to do some prelim sanding on some winter projects in the basement. Thanks......
    dlm ny country

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    28,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Anyone suggest what the title says? I have all the air one's for the garage. Looking to do some prelim sanding on some winter projects in the basement. Thanks......
    dlm ny country
    I've never used an electric DA so I don't know the variables but I know that Mirka has a good one and 3M is either coming out with one or it's already on the market. The Mirka and 3M models are professional tools and probably cost over $300.

  3. #3

    Default Hands down for the price...

    The Porter Cable D/A sander/polisher. Marketed as a sander model #7346 and a polisher #7424 (I think). All the same tool with different attachments.
    I've had mine for over 12 years and it spend the night under salt water during hurricane Ivan...I just used it this past Tuesday!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moochville
    Posts
    29,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
    The Porter Cable D/A sander/polisher. Marketed as a sander model #7346 and a polisher #7424 (I think). All the same tool with different attachments.
    I've had mine for over 12 years and it spend the night under salt water during hurricane Ivan...I just used it this past Tuesday!!!
    I have the same #7346 and it is a great little tool .I use a lot of electric sanders of different designs for filler work . I also have the air advantage that len sells and it is great . If I have a small filler repair i always just use the electric sanders . Now i'm just a hobby guy .
    I love my air long inline too . Whatever works for me .

    Mooch

  5. #5
    autobodytech43 Guest

    Default

    the makita one is good and I've always liked Ryobi. They make good quality stuff for cheap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    lake jackson, texas
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I have both the Porter Cable and a Mirka and the Mirka is much easier to use. It runs off of a transformer rated at 40 volts dc. It's lighter and smoother than my Hutchins DA. The downside - it costs $500.00. If you can justify the price I think it's worth it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    28,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I have both the Porter Cable and a Mirka and the Mirka is much easier to use. It runs off of a transformer rated at 40 volts dc. It's lighter and smoother than my Hutchins DA. The downside - it costs $500.00. If you can justify the price I think it's worth it.
    I'm hearing that the (yet to be released) 3M sander is even better than the Mirka and the price is also going to be high.

  8. #8
    autobodytech43 Guest

    Default

    are any of those actually resembling a palm sander like the air type? That would be pretty sweet but wouldn't think it's possible

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    28,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by autobodytech43 View Post
    are any of those actually resembling a palm sander like the air type? That would be pretty sweet but wouldn't think it's possible
    Yes, that's what makes them so desirable, they are small and light even though the motor is in the palm of your hand.
    I'm hearing that the same 3M tool can be used on 110 or 220 volt power supply so they can be used just about anywhere in the world. The Mirka may also be able to use different currents but I haven't heard anything about them.

  10. #10
    autobodytech43 Guest

    Default

    just looked at the mirka and am impressed. I always wondering why someone never made one of those but didn't know they already had one. too pricey though in my opinion. If I was doing mobile running a generator I'd get one though for sure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •