TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How big do you like your holes for panel welding?

Default How big do you like your holes for panel welding?

I usually use 3/8 inch holes for spot welding my panels together. What size do you guys like?

autobodytech43 Guest

3/8". I used to like 5/16" and was intimidated by 3/8" but learned how to do clean plug welds, and you have to learn them cause when you reuse sheet metal those 5/16" holes aren't gonna cut the weld out. Either of the two are recommended. 3/8" obviously for more important structural stuff.

My spot weld cutter is 5/16 so that is what I use most often. With a 3/8 you should get a good weld. I don't like 1/4 or smaller because there is a good chance of filling the hole on the top sheet and failing to get any penetration into the bottom sheet of metal. You may have a good looking weld that doesn't hold the two pieces together. What good would that be?

Bob K

I use a 5/16" hole. If possible you should PUNCH the hole not drill because punching will leave the metal surface flat and your seams will be much more level.

ideally it would be whatever the vehicle manufacturer recommends in regards to size and number of welds

generally I use 5/16"...1/4" for smaller, more delicate pieces. Only time I use 3/8 is when I'm removing structural pieces.

Where do you get a punch that will do 3/8 or 5/16" holes in sheet metal? My cheapo flanger/puncher does 3/16 and they are too small.

autobodytech43 Guest

I just use those punchers for big pilot holes til I get my roper whitney.