TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cold weather painting?

Default Cold weather painting?

I usually heat my paint booth up to around 70 for a good 8 hours before I paint something. I was told the metal should be close to room temp before applying paint?

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

I agree with you, an infrared temp gun to check panel temp and your good to go

Quote Originally Posted by fastwayfirebird400 View Post
    I agree with you, an infrared temp gun to check panel temp and your good to go
    Yes, during Winter months we use our non-contact thermometer on a daily basis to measure the temperature of the surface before painting. I can point the gun at the surface and walk along the car and tell if any part of the car is too cold to paint. This gun is also handy when using your heat lamp to make sure you're not getting the surface too hot.

Len, what temp to you guys aim for on the panels?

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    Len, what temp to you guys aim for on the panels?
    If we are applying top coats we usually shoot for around 65 to 70 degrees F but if we are in a hurry or the job is small we can spray as low as 55 and use a heat lamp after the coating is applied to help cure/harden the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If we are applying top coats we usually shoot for around 65 to 70 degrees F but if we are in a hurry or the job is small we can spray as low as 55 and use a heat lamp after the coating is applied to help cure/harden the finish.
    Hi Len, just picking up on an old thread here - how long would you have a heat lamp on the clear before letting the temp fall again? Thanks tons

Quote Originally Posted by Cariost View Post
    Hi Len, just picking up on an old thread here - how long would you have a heat lamp on the clear before letting the temp fall again? Thanks tons
    It all depends on the paint products you're using. If you use a "good" paint with a fast hardener and reducer you can probably harden the paint in about an hour or two. If you're using less expensive paint products with a normal hardener it could take 4 to 6 hours the harden. It can also depend on the heat lamp being used, we use the one shown below for most one or two panel repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It all depends on the paint products you're using. If you use a "good" paint with a fast hardener and reducer you can probably harden the paint in about an hour or two. If you're using less expensive paint products with a normal hardener it could take 4 to 6 hours the harden. It can also depend on the heat lamp being used, we use the one shown below for most one or two panel repairs.

Ah I see thanks Len - am using MATRIX Performance - Low Voc Basecoat - followed but Upol system 20 clear coat. I have a few smaller 1500 watt heaters keeping the panels between 60 and 70 degrees. I'll only paint one side of the vehicle at a time.

Would I be right in thinking to wait about a few hours after the base coat is on to then spray the clear and then a few hours after that is all on before I should take away the heat (Temp in the garage will fall to about 45)?
    Thanks again for your advice! I sure appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariost View Post
    Ah I see thanks Len - am using MATRIX Performance - Low Voc Basecoat - followed but Upol system 20 clear coat. I have a few smaller 1500 watt heaters keeping the panels between 60 and 70 degrees. I'll only paint one side of the vehicle at a time.

Would I be right in thinking to wait about a few hours after the base coat is on to then spray the clear and then a few hours after that is all on before I should take away the heat (Temp in the garage will fall to about 45)?
    Thanks again for your advice! I sure appreciate you taking the time to answer.
    I don't have experience with MATRIX so I don't know the variables but the wait time between coats sounds right. But it might take quite a bit longer to cure it enough to remove the heat if the temp drops to 45.