TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPI Southern Polyurethanes Clear Coat

Default SPI Southern Polyurethanes Clear Coat

Guys, this clear coat is awesome. I don't know where or what it's made of, but damn it looks awesome!

I laid 2 wet coats down on this fender and I can't even see any Orange Peel. This stuff is like the coating on a fresh candy apple. At best, if you have a small project, try this stuff out.

I sprayed several clears, some from TCPGlobal and PPG. This puts PPG to shame and this is coming from someone with limited experience in painting and I mean very limited.

The SPI is a little heavier than the PPG stuff, thicker too, it takes a little getting used to in order to lay the wet coats without runs, but I am sure it will be a joke for some of you guys with experience.

I used a Devilbliss PLUS gune with a 1.4 tip, about 15PSI at the cap.

I only had a crappy camera pic, but I have some bike parts to do, I'll use a good camera and take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by silentdub View Post
    Guys, this clear coat is awesome. I don't know where or what it's made of, but damn it looks awesome!

I laid 2 wet coats down on this fender and I can't even see any Orange Peel. This stuff is like the coating on a fresh candy apple. At best, if you have a small project, try this stuff out.

I sprayed several clears, some from TCPGlobal and PPG. This puts PPG to shame and this is coming from someone with limited experience in painting and I mean very limited.

The SPI is a little heavier than the PPG stuff, thicker too, it takes a little getting used to in order to lay the wet coats without runs, but I am sure it will be a joke for some of you guys with experience.

I used a Devilbliss PLUS gune with a 1.4 tip, about 15PSI at the cap.

I only had a crappy camera pic, but I have some bike parts to do, I'll use a good camera and take some pics.
    How do you know that you had 15 PSI at the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    How do you know that you had 15 PSI at the cap?

I have a regulator on the gun itself, wide open, 15psi was on the gauge.

Do you have a gage that can be fitted at the cap?
    (15 psi at the gun is not 15 psi at the cap.)

I have a regulator on the gun itself, wide open, 15psi was on the gauge.
    Inlet pressure on that gun should be about 30 PSI which will probably give you around 11 or 12 PSI at the cap.

what should it be at the compressor if you have a 50ft hose? Reason I ask is my regulator at my gun broke. This is just a temp problem.

Inlet pressure on that gun should be about 30 PSI which will probably give you around 11 or 12 PSI at the cap.
    Interesting, I'd like to get a new gauge too, the one that came with the gun goes up to like 100psi, not sure anyone needs that. I was thinking inlet pressure was at the cap, but it's all good, this stuff sprays really nice.

My compressor kicks on at about 110PSI and off at 155psi, so before the gun, the psi is somewhere in between. I don't regulate it at the compressor.

I think 30 psi at inlet was too high, I was getting some what appeared like overly dry clear and a lot of mist in the air, the lower pressure gave me a nice coat.

Interesting, I'd like to get a new gauge too, the one that came with the gun goes up to like 100psi, not sure anyone needs that. I was thinking inlet pressure was at the cap, but it's all good, this stuff sprays really nice.

My compressor kicks on at about 110PSI and off at 155psi, so before the gun, the psi is somewhere in between. I don't regulate it at the compressor.

I think 30 psi at inlet was too high, I was getting some what appeared like overly dry clear and a lot of mist in the air, the lower pressure gave me a nice coat.
    I agree that you'll never use the regulator at a pressure above 40 PSI but you should be regulating the pressure that goes into the hose so that you get a consistent pressure at the gun. I usually put about 70 PSI into the hose then regulate the inlet pressure at the gun to the pressure recommended by the gun's manufacturer.

I agree that you'll never use the regulator at a pressure above 40 PSI but you should be regulating the pressure that goes into the hose so that you get a consistent pressure at the gun. I usually put about 70 PSI into the hose then regulate the inlet pressure at the gun to the pressure recommended by the gun's manufacturer.

Good point, I'll start doing that just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by frostje View Post
    what should it be at the compressor if you have a 50ft hose? Reason I ask is my regulator at my gun broke. This is just a temp problem.
    I would go with 10-15 psi higher so if you want 30psi at the gun set the comp reg at 40-45psi

and
    silentdub what PPG clears are you compairing this SPI clear to ? that it puts it to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wydir View Post
    I would go with 10-15 psi higher so if you want 30psi at the gun set the comp reg at 40-45psi

and
    silentdub what PPG clears are you compairing this SPI clear to ? that it puts it to shame.

Well the ppg shopline isn't even up to be compared to, I picked up a gallon of SPI and it mixes 1:1 so you get 2 gallons of spray, it comes out to the same price as the PPG shopline.

I've used Shopline, Deltron, Omni, Kustom Shop clears.

While I didn't use an $800/gal Glasurit to compare it to, this stuff looks very good. Pick up a small pot and try it. It is worth the try.

For the same price to the shopline, it looks better than the Deltron.

Len, you should try it out and maybe sell it yourself. I currently get it from the source, but I like to order from you since I get everything the next day since we are so close.

Well the ppg shopline isn't even up to be compared to, I picked up a gallon of SPI and it mixes 1:1 so you get 2 gallons of spray, it comes out to the same price as the PPG shopline.

I've used Shopline, Deltron, Omni, Kustom Shop clears.

While I didn't use an $800/gal Glasurit to compare it to, this stuff looks very good. Pick up a small pot and try it. It is worth the try.

For the same price to the shopline, it looks better than the Deltron.

Len, you should try it out and maybe sell it yourself. I currently get it from the source, but I like to order from you since I get everything the next day since we are so close.

Well there are 24 clears in the deltron line, 11 clears in shopline and 7 clears in omni and spi is better than all of them?
    well for not being an experienced painter you have sprayed way more clears than I have. ha and I did not even get to the kustom shop clears.

So what one did you use since there are 7 Spi clears?

I have looked at spi before just never bit the bullet to pick up a couple gallons

I have been using DC4000 and DCU2021(these cost me about 110.00 per gallon kit) this is 1 gallon & 1 quart sprayable

I see the SPI clears are around the same price some are higher so to me it would cost more to use SPI stuff, and I hate to lose money.
    a couple of the SPI clears are 3/4 gallon and 1 quart kit so only 1 gallon sprayable which makes it even more expensive.

I will break down and try some, I just dont know when maybe this spring. By then you can give us an update on how it holds up or any issues with sanding or buffing.

I just finished spraying my wife's mustang black using SPI universal clear. This stuff is great. Lays slick and smooth, easy as hell to wetsand( 1 week later). I will never use another clear again but SPI. I used a Plus gun with 1.4 tip, 32 psi.

The SPI is a polyurethane, most clears are just urethanes.
    Nothing wrong with urethanes but keep in mind, in order to
    be used for aircraft the clear has to pass the skydrol test and
    only a true poly will do that, SPI passes that test.
    So it is a great clear.
    SPI has other clears too, the Universal is a soft clear making it
    ideal for flexible items and plastic parts, and easy buffing.
    But for dark color cars their Euro clear is harder and easier to keep
    the buffing swirls out of.
    I have the universal on my daily driver now for 5 yrs, never waxed
    and still looks as good as day 1.
    So I like it a lot

The only clear they have in 3/4 gallon is the MS clear. Reason it is packaged this way is because it is a 3:1 mix. You are buying exactly 4 quarts of mixed clear. No wasted hardener sitting on your shelf. If you paint everyday, not a big deal to have that extra hardener for the next gallon. For the guy who might not paint for the next 6-12 months and is trying to keep his cost down it means the world. The turbo clear used to be packaged this way, but has since been discontinued in lieu of their Euro clear. If you want the cheap stuff, keep using the ppg.