TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How much Primer, Sealer and paint?

Default How much Primer, Sealer and paint?

I am getting ready to paint a full size regular cab Chev truck. I have welded, sanded, filled and sanded and sanded and sanded..... (Iknow it is all in the prep). Many places of bare metal and two fender's that are new in e-coat (Tested with lac thinner)

My question is how much will I need? I will NOT be painting inside the 8'bed. (Just FYI - this is a plow truck that lives outdoors 24/7 and suffer's allot of abuse from salt)

Epoxy Primer MP 170 (1 quart on hand 2:1 ratio)
    Sealer MP 180 (1 quart on hand 5:1 ratio)
    Base Coat OMNI MBC (3 quarts on hand 1:1 ratio)
    Clear coat PPG Production Clear (2 quarts on hand 4:1 ratio)
    Reducer (1 gal slow and about 1 quart med)

It is supposed to be rain and 60 degrees (or less ) this weekend. I have the truck in an unheated garage.

Suggestions for a quantity of supplies? Speed of reducer? I am using PPG OMNI MBC base coat and products. https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProduc...-eb8aefd601f1#

I have the DVD (Thanks Len) and have picked up a few tips. This is my first venture into BC/CC.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bob_VT; 09-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Epoxy Primer MP 170 (1 quart on hand 2:1 ratio)
    Sealer MP 180 (1 quart on hand 5:1 ratio)
    Base Coat OMNI MBC (3 quarts on hand 1:1 ratio)
    Clear coat PPG Production Clear (2 quarts on hand 4:1 ratio)
    Reducer (1 gal slow and about 1 quart med)
    A quart of epoxy primer should be enough if you only have sections of bare metal that expose about half of the surface.
    A quart of sealer is probably enough if one coat will be sufficient.
    I'm not familiar with the working characteristics of MBC but if it covers decently and you have a "good" spray gun you should have enough base color.
    The two quarts of clear should be enough to apply two coats.
    I think you may want to get a couple of quarts of fast reducer and some fast hardener if the temps are going to be around 60 degrees F.

This is all going to depend on the spray gun that you have and the performance of the paint products. In most cases low cost paint won't cover as well as better materials and a low cost spray gun will not transfer as much of the paint to the surface as a good gun.

Thanks Len.

DeVilbiss StartingLine gun.

So, coat the bare metal areas with the epoxy? I thought that once I did a small spot that I should do the entire panel. Will spotting the bare areas lead to a strange spotted finish?

At this point I have spent so much money I am not afraid to invest some more when I visit the paint store.

I have to pick up some flex additive (I am painting the plastic fender flares to match) and a few other supplies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
    Thanks Len.

DeVilbiss StartingLine gun.

So, coat the bare metal areas with the epoxy? I thought that once I did a small spot that I should do the entire panel. Will spotting the bare areas lead to a strange spotted finish?

At this point I have spent so much money I am not afraid to invest some more when I visit the paint store.

I have to pick up some flex additive (I am painting the plastic fender flares to match) and a few other supplies anyway.
    The quart of epoxy primer should be enough to coat 3 to 5 panels depending on the size of the panels that need coating.
    The Startingline gun is an low-end gun and may not have the transfer efficiency of better guns so any materials that are close to NOT being enough should be backed up with a little extra product.

If the omni base covers you are good.
    I think I would buy an extra quart or 2 of clear though.
    Last edited by another2centsworth; 09-28-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    [SIGPIC]

HI

I've got only a little experience here (which might just be helpful) but I always seem to use more clear than I anticipate. I'd echo the earlier post, and have some "extra" on hand.

Epoxy primer...... had enough
    2K sealer/primer .......perfect had enough

3 quarts of base coat ..... not enough ........ emerald green metallic does not cover well at all. I hope the parts store can mix up 2 more quarts for me tomorrow.

My experience with OMNI base is that you never have enough. There is a reason DBC cost twice as much, well the real reason is corporate greed but let's not get into that, than OMNI. 3 quarts of DBC would have certainly been enough. In short OMNI base sucks.

Be sure to mix your base with what you buy to get a consistant color for all of it. But stir the bottom of the cans first to get them mixed good, before you mix more base with it, and the metallic flakes settle quickly. Someone suggested buying two emply gal cans from the paint store, and pour from one to the other, don't have to pour all, just keep rotating.