TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: acetylene torch

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    Bringing up this old thread to say something stupid is a shame, it's really a great thread with some great information.

A few photos to add to the great discussion check out these. I did these with my jewelers torch. Welded across the center of the roof on my truck (chopped top, roof is thus lengthened) without any warpage! I used .023 MIG wire for welding rod. But check this out, the side weld (the shorter one over the door) I did without any filler rod at all! I literally cut a near perfect cut, then after tacking it in place plannished the seam until it was gone with both pieces of metal touching each other and "fusion welded" it using no filler rod!

Funny thing is, I was taught this method by an estimator in the shop where I work whom I have never seen with so much as a screw driver in his hand! You never know who you are going to learn something from!

Brian

Attachment 25559Attachment 25560

Not bringing it up and letting this good information sit unseen until someone decides to type in a keyword is a TRUE shame..

Old thread, but since it was brought back... I use O/A torch for sheet metal work--patch panels, etc. I use a Smith AW1A "aircraft" torch. 1/16" RG45 filler, not the ER TIG fillers or MIG wire. Bead is smaller, easier to work after.

PainterDave Guest

Bringing up this old thread to say something stupid is a shame, it's really a great thread with some great information.

A few photos to add to the great discussion check out these. I did these with my jewelers torch. Welded across the center of the roof on my truck (chopped top, roof is thus lengthened) without any warpage! I used .023 MIG wire for welding rod. But check this out, the side weld (the shorter one over the door) I did without any filler rod at all! I literally cut a near perfect cut, then after tacking it in place plannished the seam until it was gone with both pieces of metal touching each other and "fusion welded" it using no filler rod!

Funny thing is, I was taught this method by an estimator in the shop where I work whom I have never seen with so much as a screw driver in his hand! You never know who you are going to learn something from!

Brian

Attachment 25559Attachment 25560

Good point ! you do not have to hold a tool to be educated, and you dont need to learn from people that claim 50 years in the business, a lot of young kids out there are learning a lot through new training programs.

looks like good work to me, you restore as well as Collision ?

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    Good point ! you do not have to hold a tool to be educated, and you dont need to learn from people that claim 50 years in the business, a lot of young kids out there are learning a lot through new training programs.

looks like good work to me, you restore as well as Collision ?
    I have done a TON of both collision and restoration/custom work.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

PainterDave Guest

Brian
    Nice, sir.

Brian
    With almost 80 years in the business your work should be decent,post more pics

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    With almost 80 years in the business your work should be decent,post more pics
    A number of my early decades there were no cameras so there are only paintings of my work.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.