TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: forced rotation da...

Cool forced rotation da...

polishers such as the flex 3401 VRG and the makita B06040 which do you like best of the two?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
    polishers such as the flex 3401 VRG and the makita B06040 which do you like best of the two?

Dan
    I've never used the Flex but we have a Makita and it works great.

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've never used the Flex but we have a Makita and it works great.
    With forced rotation DA'S such as the makita,do you feel that manufacturers could make them a bit more aggressive with more power(bite)etc and yet remain user and paint finish friendly?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
    With forced rotation DA'S such as the makita,do you feel that manufacturers could make them a bit more aggressive with more power(bite)etc and yet remain user and paint finish friendly?

Dan
    With any tool of this type more power would stop it from slowing when pressure is applied to the pad, this is not a factor with the Makita because it doesn't slow significantly when being used so I don't know how more power would benefit you. With a rotary buffer/sander power or torque is definitely part of the equation and Makita has enough torque to overcome any rotation slowing problems while cheaper machines tend to slow or stop when they are used at slow speed and pressure is applied to the pad.

Default Dan,

I suppose it would be possible to speed a dual action up some, but the problem would be trying to keep the pads or the machine and counter balancing the action to cover the increased vibration. As speed increases the difference in weight between pads would become much more important, of course, they could balance for a particular pad and we could turn the speed down ourselves, but then there's the problem of making the planetary gears strong enough to handle the extra stress. All these machines get pretty hot now so I'm pretty sure making a machine capable of handling that stress would also make it very expensive. People like me would buy it, but that's not a big market.

The simple solution, the one I use every day, is to cut the scratches with the high speed, then eliminate the swirls with the dual action.

Have you tried Meguiar's Microfiber System and M-105 with an RO polisher?

Default Not many have...

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Have you tried Meguiar's Microfiber System and M-105 with an RO polisher?
    Back in the mid 60's it was hard to find a car at a car show that did'nt have Mirror Glaze H-7 (Meguiars) on it. I used to put the H-7 against the results of people using Black Ebony with a machine and won. So their finishing products were fantastic but they didn't really offer a compound and also keep in mind the majority of the paint used was lacquer.
    We used white polishing compound in a gallon containter. The H-7 was NOT available to the public in stores and we had to buy it from a dealer or paint shop.

In the 70's, Mequiars started selling a less chemical line of products in big box stores. Some was decent stuff but just not the H-7 line. So you had the commercial line and the consumer line. People became confused between the two lines and soon, paint shops stopped carrying the commercial line.

The 80's brought urethane Clear Coat paint systems and an onslot of new polishes and compounds. Meguiars slipped even more. 3M introduced many products and they spend tons of money on research. I have yet to appreciate a 3M product for automotive polishing/compounding.

All this is why I said not many have used Mequiars new system since it's looked at like the same-o, same-o.

Have you tried Sure Finish or Presta Product along with the pads for the Sure Finish? Henry