TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Wanda vs Lesonal

Default Wanda vs Lesonal

Does anybody here know much about either of these paint lines ?

I was an R-M Diamont shop for many years , until the jobber quit selling it . They really caught me off guard , and replaced it with Spies Hecker . As far as the base goes , it has the best coverage of any b/c I've used . I'm PPG certified and have used DBC , Global , Dupont Chroma Premier as well . The Spies covers better than any of those , but the cost makes it hard to stay in budget and turn a profit on some jobs .

I heard about the Wanda in Vegas the year they brought it out , but it just now got to my area . Another local jobber had been trying to get me to go with Lesonal , but I think the Wanda is going to be alot cheaper . I am primarily planning on using the Wanda on some of the used carlots that I paint for , and the cheaper O/Alls that walk in from time to time . I will keep the S/H for insurance and resorations .

So the question is , which one would be better , Wanda or Les for the cheaper jobs . The warranty is not an issue , but color match is , as well as coverage and ease of use .

Quote Originally Posted by Bethlehembodyworks View Post
    Does anybody here know much about either of these paint lines ?

I was an R-M Diamont shop for many years , until the jobber quit selling it . They really caught me off guard , and replaced it with Spies Hecker . As far as the base goes , it has the best coverage of any b/c I've used . I'm PPG certified and have used DBC , Global , Dupont Chroma Premier as well . The Spies covers better than any of those , but the cost makes it hard to stay in budget and turn a profit on some jobs .

I heard about the Wanda in Vegas the year they brought it out , but it just now got to my area . Another local jobber had been trying to get me to go with Lesonal , but I think the Wanda is going to be alot cheaper . I am primarily planning on using the Wanda on some of the used carlots that I paint for , and the cheaper O/Alls that walk in from time to time . I will keep the S/H for insurance and resorations .

So the question is , which one would be better , Wanda or Les for the cheaper jobs . The warranty is not an issue , but color match is , as well as coverage and ease of use .
    We are almost exclusively a Glasurit shop because we do mostly high end stuff but I used some Wanda about a year ago. I didn't need to match anything so the color could have been an issue but the paint seemed to perform ok. And another thing I find with less expensive products is that they can be difficult to fix is you screw something up. Sometimes it's less expensive, in the long run, if you don't tie up the shop using low-end products.

The Wanda and the Lesonal are AkzoNobel products. You might also want to give Sikkens a try, it's probably much better than the low end stuff.

I used Lesonal once a couple years ago but I don't remember if it was any good but you can probably tell a lot about it from the price, it's a very competitive commodity.

Sikkens autobase plus is comparible to Spies but has a better colormatch.Lesonal has better coverage than wanda,plus variants for colormatch,real simple system to use,comparable to diamont and dbc, and there glamour clear is very nice.If color match is not a concern on overalls you might want to look at Utech,very user friendly single stage and base coat systems that are extremely affordable.Utech polybase will give you good coverage in one coat.Wanda is the bottom of the barrel in the akzo noble (sikkens) line up.

well, reading the title, i was think this was spam! now i've learned something new.

Default hey tomsteve...

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    well, reading the title, i was think this was spam! now i've learned something new.
    I did the same as you. Henry

I have used Sikkens and it works fine.

i use 90/100 wanda and the other 10/100 i use diamont i will change diamont to sikkens because diamont dont cover well is a great paint but lack of pigment,

wanda cover a lot better than diamont but metallics shine best in diamont

akzo nobel paints cover better than others paint i do a test with the same code paint and spray one piece of metal to compare wanda vs chroma base and is incredible wanda achieve a dark red in two hands and chroma took 6 hands to equal the color of wanda. wanda utech sikkens leasonal great stuff

wanda is very easy to use has great color match, incredible coverage, and is very cheap great for cheap to medium jobs
    sikkens is the best line of akzo nobel great for best jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We are almost exclusively a Glasurit shop because we do mostly high end stuff but I used some Wanda about a year ago. I didn't need to match anything so the color could have been an issue but the paint seemed to perform ok. And another thing I find with less expensive products is that they can be difficult to fix is you screw something up. Sometimes it's less expensive, in the long run, if you don't tie up the shop using low-end products.

The Wanda and the Lesonal are AkzoNobel products. You might also want to give Sikkens a try, it's probably much better than the low end stuff.

I used Lesonal once a couple years ago but I don't remember if it was any good but you can probably tell a lot about it from the price, it's a very competitive commodity.

That's what ticked me off . The jobber was supposed to be bringing me a Glasurit system . I would have had both the Diamont and Glas systems to work with . Instead they showed up with the S/H . Told me they no longer deal with R-M and I wouldn't even be able to restock my machine when I ran out .

The S/H is just as good as the Sikkens , in my opinion , and probably a little more cost effective on some colors . I understand about cheap paint , and the fact it could tie up a booth . That's why I won't use the omni , nason etc . Wanda , as it was explained to me by their reps , is a polyester base . Very similar to Diamont , Glasurit ,Sikkens and Spies Hecker , the way they cut the cost is , little tech support , and no warranty . The jobber who is trying to get me to put a system in , is offering a substancial discount on toners . He said a qt of Ford e4 would be between $50.00 & $60.00 . I thought that was pretty good , if it's not junk .

The jobber offering the Lesonal is strictly a " gross profit " type of outfit , I'm sure all of you have run into one of those . So the Les would probably be 2x the price for the mixed color .

Just thought I'd try to get some intel before I make a descision / mistake , lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Bethlehembodyworks View Post
    That's what ticked me off . The jobber was supposed to be bringing me a Glasurit system . I would have had both the Diamont and Glas systems to work with . Instead they showed up with the S/H . Told me they no longer deal with R-M and I wouldn't even be able to restock my machine when I ran out .

The S/H is just as good as the Sikkens , in my opinion , and probably a little more cost effective on some colors . I understand about cheap paint , and the fact it could tie up a booth . That's why I won't use the omni , nason etc . Wanda , as it was explained to me by their reps , is a polyester base . Very similar to Diamont , Glasurit ,Sikkens and Spies Hecker , the way they cut the cost is , little tech support , and no warranty . The jobber who is trying to get me to put a system in , is offering a substancial discount on toners . He said a qt of Ford e4 would be between $50.00 & $60.00 . I thought that was pretty good , if it's not junk .

The jobber offering the Lesonal is strictly a " gross profit " type of outfit , I'm sure all of you have run into one of those . So the Les would probably be 2x the price for the mixed color .

Just thought I'd try to get some intel before I make a descision / mistake , lol !
    If I were you I'd buy some premixed products and try them before biting the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M View Post
    Sikkens autobase plus is comparible to Spies but has a better colormatch.Lesonal has better coverage than wanda,plus variants for colormatch,real simple system to use,comparable to diamont and dbc, and there glamour clear is very nice.If color match is not a concern on overalls you might want to look at Utech,very user friendly single stage and base coat systems that are extremely affordable.Utech polybase will give you good coverage in one coat.Wanda is the bottom of the barrel in the akzo noble (sikkens) line up.

I don't know about that . For a top of the line system the Spies is great , just too expensive to use on every job . I've had great success with color matching on alot of metallics to the point of panel painting and cutting out the need for blending . However , I will admit , and have even had their techs out to the shop because of it , the color match on whites is terrible !! Even the techs gave up on it ! I keep PPG Global and / or Concept on hand for the most popular whites , ie. Gm code 50 /8624 , Ford YZ , Dodge PW7 & 1 . Even though PPG isn't a polyester base , they certainly have the best color matching on their whites .

I will have to agree with Jayson, Sikkens autobase+ is a much easier/nicer system to use than Spies. We were a Spies shop for 10 years before going to Sikkens.. We are now using Autowave and love it.. Wouldnt go back to using solvents.....