TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: 1941 Dodge WC40 Military 4X4

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Another local guy wanted to do a video feature so here it is. He is very good about piecing them together and he used to work freelance for car magazines in the 70's and 80's. He does it so people who are homebound, including vets, can still see vehicles from home even though they can't get out to see them. I couldn't say no to that.




    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuZmVpVe9w

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,151

    Default Best Yet!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    Another local guy wanted to do a video feature so here it is. He is very good about piecing them together and he used to work freelance for car magazines in the 70's and 80's. He does it so people who are homebound, including vets, can still see vehicles from home even though they can't get out to see them. I couldn't say no to that.




    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuZmVpVe9w
    I really enjoyed this new video and hats off to the 'producer'.

    I think the best part was at around 7:00 when you walked around the truck and talked through many of the things you did. The handmade parts, especially the entire grill is a feat in itself as well as all the other hardware. I mean you not only made the parts for the truck but first made a jig(s) in order to make the part(s). Just unbelievable!

    Kevin, and a 456 gear in this things! OMG!

    What does DODGE have to say about your toy?

    Henry

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I really enjoyed this new video and hats off to the 'producer'.

    I think the best part was at around 7:00 when you walked around the truck and talked through many of the things you did. The handmade parts, especially the entire grill is a feat in itself as well as all the other hardware. I mean you not only made the parts for the truck but first made a jig(s) in order to make the part(s). Just unbelievable!

    Kevin, and a 456 gear in this things! OMG!

    What does DODGE have to say about your toy?

    Henry
    Thanks Henry, Don is a great guy. A true car guy as he doesn't ask for anything for doing the 1 on 1 videos. He even gives you a DVD copy to keep. He doesn't even make anything from the Youtube videos as he refuses to monetize them so he doesn't have to be under their guidelines. We force him to take donations for his expenses as you can see from his past videos, He goes to all the shows he can.

    Yeah, Most people think it's just chromed pieces but it's not. I like the challenge and the satisfaction of completing a piece and it spurs me on to the next thing. Keeps my mind occupied as well as my hands. I knew this was not a piece I was going to sell so I wanted to use the best materials I could and try to do the best I could on it. That is why a lot of research and planning went into it.

    Dodge would ask why didn't I use a Hemi! Cost was a big thing and the frame issue I talk about in the video. I didn't want to be fighting compatabilty issues and such. I had a lot on the table to worry about already. Parts availability/options played a roll as well. After 7 years since completion I've had no issues so that makes me feel good.

    4:56 gears is what came on the that was special ordered by the previous owner of the chassis I used. The WC came with 4:88's and with the size tires they had, 55MPH was the max. Power wagons came stock with 5:83's! You could get 4;89's as an option though.

    I was approached at a show last year by a local Hagerty Insurance rep. He is not mine but he ran a show I went to and he has cars so I see him quite a bit. He asked if I had ever gone to the Cavalcade of Customs Show in Cincinnati, Ohio. I told him no as I know there was a bunch of hoops to jump through and I din't have the stands and ropes stuff. He then said if I wanted to go he would set it all up and all I had to do was show up. I thought to myself this was my chance to do a National Circuit show. Cavalcade is one of the longest running shows as this is their 49th year. It's part of the ISCA show series and you are mixed in with all the touring cars in the points chase. He had a few cars in his area and we were in the judging for the show. Judges were from 3 states and Canada and I think there was 6 of them.





    He gave me the best spot on the end, right in front of the main entrance door. We were on the 3rd floor so I got to take an elevator ride! Barely fit through the doors but I made it. Show was for 3 days and on the second week of January. I was in the minority as I drove there. I'm about 50 miles away. During the show we got 10 inches of snow so that made the drive home a little challenging. I drove I 75 for the majority and needless to say, traffic was looking. LOL

    There was over 550 entered and the crowds were crazy for the weather we had. I was right next to the celeb table and Dale Earnhart Jr, John Schnieder (Bo Duke) and others were within 60 ft. Funny when John walked by he stopped and said,"Wow, Look at that truck!" So I guess I'm Bo Duke approved. That one makes me smile. Tons of nice people and compliments. Met a lot of old friends and made a lot of new ones. All in all a great experience.

    When we went for the awards I was blown away.



    Ended up Winning my class, Best Overall Engine Award in the Rod catagory, Best Overall Detail Award and the Master Builder Award.



    The Master Builder Award means a lot to me at a show like this. Put over 3000 miles on it last year till it was done and the comments I get from other guys/builders and such truely means a lot. Once they find out the story and see the end result they normally want to shake my hand and give me "the nod". As I have said before, they know what it took.

    What I hope people take away from this is you can make your dream come true if you stick with it. hurdles come but find away around them and learn from it. That is what I did and took victories from each step. Inspiration comes from that, going to shows, helping others and asking for ideas when you get stuck. Remember, we all have to start somewhere and aren't born knowing how to do everything. this was the first Base/clear I ever sprayed and first cut and buff. Only the second vehicle paint I've done. Done a few tractors and small pieces but just read up. followed instructions and asked questions.

    Thanks again to Len and all who helped me on the Journey. I have some other projects in the works so I'll have more "newbie" questions. LOL
    Last edited by kevininohio; 01-28-2019 at 12:58 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,151

    Default WOW!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    Thanks Henry, Don is a great guy. A true car guy as he doesn't ask for anything for doing the 1 on 1 videos. He even gives you a DVD copy to keep. He doesn't even make anything from the Youtube videos as he refuses to monetize them so he doesn't have to be under their guidelines. We force him to take donations for his expenses as you can see from his past videos, He goes to all the shows he can.

    Yeah, Most people think it's just chromed pieces but it's not. I like the challenge and the satisfaction of completing a piece and it spurs me on to the next thing. Keeps my mind occupied as well as my hands. I knew this was not a piece I was going to sell so I wanted to use the best materials I could and try to do the best I could on it. That is why a lot of research and planning went into it.

    Dodge would ask why didn't I use a Hemi! Cost was a big thing and the frame issue I talk about in the video. I didn't want to be fighting compatabilty issues and such. I had a lot on the table to worry about already. Parts availability/options played a roll as well. After 7 years since completion I've had no issues so that makes me feel good.

    4:56 gears is what came on the that was special ordered by the previous owner of the chassis I used. The WC came with 4:88's and with the size tires they had, 55MPH was the max. Power wagons came stock with 5:83's! You could get 4;89's as an option though.

    I was approached at a show last year by a local Hagerty Insurance rep. He is not mine but he ran a show I went to and he has cars so I see him quite a bit. He asked if I had ever gone to the Cavalcade of Customs Show in Cincinnati, Ohio. I told him no as I know there was a bunch of hoops to jump through and I din't have the stands and ropes stuff. He then said if I wanted to go he would set it all up and all I had to do was show up. I thought to myself this was my chance to do a National Circuit show. Cavalcade is one of the longest running shows as this is their 49th year. It's part of the ISCA show series and you are mixed in with all the touring cars in the points chase. He had a few cars in his area and we were in the judging for the show. Judges were from 3 states and Canada and I think there was 6 of them.





    He gave me the best spot on the end, right in front of the main entrance door. We were on the 3rd floor so I got to take an elevator ride! Barely fit through the doors but I made it. Show was for 3 days and on the second week of January. I was in the minority as I drove there. I'm about 50 miles away. During the show we got 10 inches of snow so that made the drive home a little challenging. I drove I 75 for the majority and needless to say, traffic was looking. LOL

    There was over 550 entered and the crowds were crazy for the weather we had. I was right next to the celeb table and Dale Earnhart Jr, John Schnieder (Bo Duke) and others were within 60 ft. Funny when John walked by he stopped and said,"Wow, Look at that truck!" So I guess I'm Bo Duke approved. That one makes me smile. Tons of nice people and compliments. Met a lot of old friends and made a lot of new ones. All in all a great experience.

    When we went for the awards I was blown away.



    Ended up Winning my class, Best Overall Engine Award in the Rod catagory, Best Overall Detail Award and the Master Builder Award.



    The Master Builder Award means a lot to me at a show like this. Put over 3000 miles on it last year till it was done and the comments I get from other guys/builders and such truely means a lot. Once they find out the story and see the end result they normally want to shake my hand and give me "the nod". As I have said before, they know what it took.

    What I hope people take away from this is you can make your dream come true if you stick with it. hurdles come but find away around them and learn from it. That is what I did and took victories from each step. Inspiration comes from that, going to shows, helping others and asking for ideas when you get stuck. Remember, we all have to start somewhere and aren't born knowing how to do everything. this was the first Base/clear I ever sprayed and first cut and buff. Only the second vehicle paint I've done. Done a few tractors and small pieces but just read up. followed instructions and asked questions.

    Thanks again to Len and all who helped me on the Journey. I have some other projects in the works so I'll have more "newbie" questions. LOL
    Thanks for sharing all that good stuff - BUT you did earn it!

    Love that "Master Builder Award" (did you think you would get less). Not to mention the other top awards! (That's not Halloween Candy, they don't just give those things away!)

    You're an inspiration to many people. People are toiling today because of what you've shown along the way and by seeing what your end result actually is. I'm so glad Len has the ABS for us for guys like you and 'bam55' who is nearing the completion of his 55 Chevy pickup. I enjoyed watching you over the years.

    We all work on something each day so in retrospect, because you did all that work yourself, you've sort of digested it and got some reward as the part fit the truck. However, for those of us who look at the list of things or that walk & talk around the truck was a true eye opener to anyone paying attention who cares!

    Hats off, Kevin.

    How is your yellow log splitter doing? Do you tackle anything not 'GINORMOUS'?

    Regards,

    Henry

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Thanks for sharing all that good stuff - BUT you did earn it!

    Love that "Master Builder Award" (did you think you would get less). Not to mention the other top awards! (That's not Halloween Candy, they don't just give those things away!)

    You're an inspiration to many people. People are toiling today because of what you've shown along the way and by seeing what your end result actually is. I'm so glad Len has the ABS for us for guys like you and 'bam55' who is nearing the completion of his 55 Chevy pickup. I enjoyed watching you over the years.

    We all work on something each day so in retrospect, because you did all that work yourself, you've sort of digested it and got some reward as the part fit the truck. However, for those of us who look at the list of things or that walk & talk around the truck was a true eye opener to anyone paying attention who cares!

    Hats off, Kevin.

    How is your yellow log splitter doing? Do you tackle anything not 'GINORMOUS'?

    Regards,

    Henry
    I really had no idea I would get any of the specials. I would have been happy just to place in the class. Once they judged, I thought I may be in the running for something as they kept coming back. I thought they only had 4 specials as they didn't post all of the awards anywhere. I was pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing. I even got a personal invite for the World of Wheels in Indy in the beginning of February but turned it down. I'd probably trailer it there and all I have is an open trailer which doesn't help much when the slush is out there. I'm not about traveling long distance, overnight stuff. I guess I need to find a rich uncle! LOL

    The splitter is doing find. Have just been cleaning up dead trees and blowovers which is more than we need. The Ash bore killed off all of those here so wood is everywhere. Finding a storage spot is our problem.

    I've been doing upkeep and small projects which takes most of my time. Still recovering from the 5 broken Vertabrae and shoulder surgery to get to full bore. lots of stuff got behind because of that. I'll get at it before too long though. I'm getting the itch and the trucks in the wings are calling me.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Friend of mine emailed me a couple pics and said, You know you did a decent paint job when you can see your neighbor's car even though it's out of frame. LOL




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,151

    Default Absolutely!

    Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    Friend of mine emailed me a couple pics and said, You know you did a decent paint job when you can see your neighbor's car even though it's out of frame. LOL



    Kevin, you know a large group of us love that work of art (truck) you created. Those pictures are done to perfection like a good steak. Those pics show us that paint looking over 10 feet deep.

    (Hope the government intelligence people don't see what your truck is showing as they might want to use it for surveillance assignments.)

    Really beautiful pictures that captured a lot in depth. Thanks for sharing.

    Henry

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,128

    Default

    It's hard to believe that you drive it, doesn't it take as long to clean it as it did to paint it?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It's hard to believe that you drive it, doesn't it take as long to clean it as it did to paint it?
    Those 2 pics are from the last 2 weekends. One was in Dublin, Ohio and the other in Cambridge City, Indiana. It hasn't been on a trailer in 3 years now. Drove over 3000 miles last year and have 1500 so far this year. It's funny now as some will say, "He doesn't drive it" or "He trailered it here". Enough people know me now so they stick up for me and tell the accuser they are dead wrong. I always offer that they can follow me home is they don't believe it. Funny enough in Madison, Indiana this year I stopped at a stoplight and there was a guy parked in town. He yelled that he just wanted to see if I really drove it! LOL

    People who don't know the story behind it think someone paid to have it done or it's never driven. When they learn otherwise and hear from others they normally give the nod or shake my hand. Rodder respect if you will. Made so many new friends over these years and the smiles of people when they see it always brightens my day.

    Len, the last pic is for you. That was taken by someone while I was cleaning underneath. It was in Lawrenceburg, Indiana(about 70 miles for me) and got caught in rain on the way to the show. I'm pretty good at rolling wet towels to keep from grinding the road dirt into the Acrylic Urethane black. Not the best but sometimes you have no choice. I have no clear on it so I have to be careful. That one was about 2 1/2 hrs cleaning.

    I love doing Veteran benefit shows and such. Seeing them smile and tell their stories is priceless to me.






  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    A normal clean on top and under will be around 2 hrs. One other thing that blows people away is the fact that I have never waxed it. I never hosed it for a wash either. It's always a small cotton 3" x 3" cloth with just straight water(no soap) and dry the area quick with a Rag Company Microfiber. Over 7 years/12,000 miles on it and still looks good.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40,128

    Default

    Kevin you've been a member here for eleven years. How many trophies have you collected with that beauty?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Well, the first 2 years after I had it done I didn't go to any judged shows. I just went to an occasional cruise in or drove it. I was working loads of Overtime on weekends. People kept telling me I needed to show it so I did. Seeing the smiles, stories and meeting people who share the passion for it started me to go more. I had an injury(5 fractured vertebrae) and it was something I could do while recovering so I went even more and snowballed. Shows vary as some just have the top of the show grouped in no order, class best, specials or Best of Show. It's received over 125 awards so far and 53 Best of Shows, in 4 states. Never ever dreamed people of all ages, races and genders would see what I did when I was building it. It makes all the hours of work even more worth it. I always try to tell people that you can do it yourself but you can't expect it to be done in a 1/2 hr like on TV. Take your satisfaction from each piece/step you accomplish and eventually you'll get there. I'm proof of that. Again, I can't stress enough my thanks to you and the forum that helped a "dreamer" achieve their goal. I try to always remember that when someone asks a question or shows interest. You never know that maybe you'll be the person that encourages them to keep going. One of the best pieces of advice I got from an older gentleman on another forum was this. Try to do at least one thing towards the project each day, No matter how small. It adds up.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •