TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1941 Dodge WC40 Military 4X4

Default 1941 Dodge WC40 Military 4X4

This was a very long term project for me and first Base/clear and cut and buff I've ever done. Over 13 years and around 3000 hours and it's all done other than the interior which I am letting someone else do. I've made hundreds of pieces for this truck and a lot of it was stainless steel that I polished out. You can check out the build album for the detailed pics if you're interested:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

Red is Base/clear buffed out and the frame is Gloss black acrylic urethane out of the gun with no buff. Everything was painted in pieces and assembled later. The Red was done in 3 different painting sessions. I used a Devilbiss Plus gun from Len for all the spraying. On the cut and buff I did what worked best for me. I let the paint sit for 2 months and then started with 2000 grit wet with wood paint stick backers. If I could, I used an Airvantage with 3000 ater that. A lot of this was rubbed out by hand due to all the nooks and crannies and ridges. Where I could I went with an orange foam pad and buffed out with Roberts compound. Hand work was done with a cotton rag and tired fingers I'm VERY happy with the results and it is flat!

The body is pretty rare as Dodge only made 275 of these for the government. Frame is from a 1978 1 ton Chevy with a Dana 60 front axle and a 14 bolt, 10 1/2 inch ring gear rear end. 4:56 gears with 39 inch Swamper Boggers. Motor is a 350 RamJet with 350 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque back by a TH400 transmission. Frame has been completely smoothed as well as the axles and suspension. Mirror polished stainless everywhere.

Thanks to all on this forum who have answered my dumb questions and for Len keeping all the old posts so I could learn that way. Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!.. You did an amazing job on that truck Kevin. That grill you made is a work of art!.. As well as all of the other parts you made for this beauty. Nice job!.
    Waterford, Mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger J. View Post
    Wow!.. You did an amazing job on that truck Kevin. That grill you made is a work of art!.. As well as all of the other parts you made for this beauty. Nice job!.
    Most people that see it just think all the original parts were chromed, they weren't Thanks for the kind words, this one is a keeper! Kevin

Default Documentation

is in the tons of pictures you took. I only viewed through a few sections of the album and I cannot believe the endless work you put into the small parts. The frame is beautiful.
    You either really love this truck or you're just plain nuts. Fantastic job in any case.

What do you do for a living and when did you get to spend time on the truck? Great job. Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    is in the tons of pictures you took. I only viewed through a few sections of the album and I cannot believe the endless work you put into the small parts. The frame is beautiful.
    You either really love this truck or you're just plain nuts. Fantastic job in any case.

What do you do for a living and when did you get to spend time on the truck? Great job. Henry
    I'd say it's some of both. I've always loved these trucks and I'm a little nuts too

I work as a machinist full time with loads of overtime. A normal day I'd get 4 hrs in on it but 6 days equals 24 hours a week. It adds up eventually as you see. From Christmas to Easter I had 4 days total off and a lot of them were 10 hours so that is why this has taken a while to complete. I don't have cable or watch TV or play video games. My"recreation" is stuff like this. I get more satisfaction out of making a piece than watching drama between people I don't know. Kinda uncommon anymore I know.

A lot of this is out of my comfort zone but I just try and learn from my mistakes. A lot of this was done with some pretty basic tools. Guys at work say I'm a precision 9 inch angle grinder and I'll take that as a compliment.

The attached pic gives an example. The ball detail on the mirror arm was hand filed, sanded and polished out. No CNC here, just good old American labor!

Thanks for the kind words.

One of the guys at work who has followed me through this gave me the best words of wisdom I've heard.:

You may never have a failure if you never try, but you'll never have a success either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really a nice job. Came out beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-M View Post
    Really a nice job. Came out beautiful.
    Thanks for the kind words.

It tends to draw a crowd at cruise ins and most have never seen one of these.

I don't know why I didn't comment on this job earlier but that is REALLY AWESOME. Great job!

very nice. where in ohio might a guy get to see this rig?

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

In my opinion that truck is the best finished project posted on the ABS that i have saw .

What a work of art that Dodge is .

Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    In my opinion that truck is the best finished project posted on the ABS that i have saw .

What a work of art that Dodge is .

Mooch

I appreciate that comment along with the others very much. It means a lot to me, being a non pro, to have guys who do it for a living appreciating what was involved. You guys know what it takes and I thank you again for providing me answers when I asked.

With a long term project, you have to have to keep the final goal in your mind. I didn't have a team of guys to do the work or an endless checkbook. Most all the stainless was bought at the local scrap yard used. I took satisfaction from each piece that was made and it fueled me to keep going.

When [people asked what I was working on, I always said a Dodge Military truck. They tried to hide it but you could see in their eyes they thought it would be odd. Now that it is together people "get it" and can see what was in my minds eye all these years.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

That is one incredible piece of art.

Was asked to post these for all to see. Went to a cruise in and a guy snapped some pics.

Default Again...

Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    Was asked to post these for all to see. Went to a cruise in and a guy snapped some pics.

Again, I'll tell you how fantastic WC40 turned out. HARD to believe you never did autobody work as in repaint, let alone changing body to another vehicle frame and all the parts you made. Just fantastic.

Question: Is that you in the yellow hat sitting behind the truck?

Are you satisfied having it finished or are you still itchy to keep working? Really nothing left but to enjoy. Is this on youtube yet?
    Great to see this again.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Again, I'll tell you how fantastic WC40 turned out. HARD to believe you never did autobody work as in repaint, let alone changing body to another vehicle frame and all the parts you made. Just fantastic.

Question: Is that you in the yellow hat sitting behind the truck?

Are you satisfied having it finished or are you still itchy to keep working? Really nothing left but to enjoy. Is this on youtube yet?
    Great to see this again.

Henry
    Thanks Henry.
    Yeah, that's my ugly mug sitting down behind it, I'd have got out of the way if I'd known he was taking pics.

I painted my V8 S-15 4x4 with acrylic enamel but it didn't need any body work, just blocked it. Other than that, just a few small things. This was the first time I ever sprayed base/clear and first ever cur/buff. Dash was all hand rubbed as well as the louvers and around the bed pockets and such. Some here advised against it but I wanted it all to look right. VERY happy and glad I did it now.

Have another one of these in the wings that I'll do stock. Have a Power wagon too and it will be stock as well. just catching up on stuff I put off while finishing the truck up now. I needed a break

Nothing on youtube that I know of. A buddy came over and did a little video to show his son. Not the best quality, but you can here it at least. Here is the link. Click on the pic to start the video.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1033741...ustWCAug72100#

Few more pics