TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1941 Dodge WC40 Military 4X4

Default Play it again Sam...

Quote Originally Posted by kevininohio View Post
    This was a very long term project for me and first Base/clear and cut and buff I've ever done. Over 13 years and around 3000 hours and it's all done other than the interior which I am letting someone else do. I've made hundreds of pieces for this truck and a lot of it was stainless steel that I polished out. You can check out the build album for the detailed pics if you're interested:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

Red is Base/clear buffed out and the frame is Gloss black acrylic urethane out of the gun with no buff. Everything was painted in pieces and assembled later. The Red was done in 3 different painting sessions. I used a Devilbiss Plus gun from Len for all the spraying. On the cut and buff I did what worked best for me. I let the paint sit for 2 months and then started with 2000 grit wet with wood paint stick backers. If I could, I used an Airvantage with 3000 ater that. A lot of this was rubbed out by hand due to all the nooks and crannies and ridges. Where I could I went with an orange foam pad and buffed out with Roberts compound. Hand work was done with a cotton rag and tired fingers I'm VERY happy with the results and it is flat!

The body is pretty rare as Dodge only made 275 of these for the government. Frame is from a 1978 1 ton Chevy with a Dana 60 front axle and a 14 bolt, 10 1/2 inch ring gear rear end. 4:56 gears with 39 inch Swamper Boggers. Motor is a 350 RamJet with 350 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque back by a TH400 transmission. Frame has been completely smoothed as well as the axles and suspension. Mirror polished stainless everywhere.

Thanks to all on this forum who have answered my dumb questions and for Len keeping all the old posts so I could learn that way. Kevin
    I think Kevin's truck is about the best rebuild I've seen in over 15 years on this site. I find myself going back to this project every 6 months or so. Kevin, where ever you are, again, job well done. You redefine the word "Professional" in the autobody world.
    Below is a link for anyone new on this site to see what people can do:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/finishedtruck

Henry

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I think Kevin's truck is about the best rebuild I've seen in over 15 years on this site. I find myself going back to this project every 6 months or so. Kevin, where ever you are, again, job well done. You redefine the word "Professional" in the autobody world.
    Below is a link for anyone new on this site to see what people can do:

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/finishedtruck

Henry
    If it isn't the best it can only be tied for the best .It just doesn't get any better . What I wouldn't give to be that good .

Mooch

I'm still here Truck is at the interior shop at the moment as it's the only thing I didn't want to tackle myself. Should be done in a couple weeks and I'll post some pics of it, COMPLETED! it's been a long wait for it, that is for sure.

As I mentioned before, I learned a lot from this site. Gleaning info from past posts and asking some 'newbie" questions from time to time. Sometimes it gets fuzzy as personal preferences enter into "THE way" to do things but it got done at least. I guess some of the older members can take solace in the fact that I took their advice and suggestions on things and the results speak for themselves. Don't be so quick to judge a new member as a tire kicker, there are still a few out there willing to put forth the effort to achieve a goal.

Thanks again for the kind words guys. That means the world to me coming from people who have done this stuff for years. I get that a cruise ins too and it's always a nice thing. I was really shocked when a friend at work gave me a magazine to look at during lunch break. I believe it was called Street Scene.? They had what looked like a LOT of Nice rods and they had all the specs on them. I don't think a SINGLE one was built by the owner, they all had shops listed who had done the work which really surprised me. Trust me, I do realize what is involved in a build but that still got me. I normally take the build picture albums with me and normally a few guys will spend about an hour looking through them. They know.

Default Interior done

Got it back from the interior shop yesterday. Hard to let your "baby" in the hands of someone else and waiting this long but I'm happy with the results. When trying to find someone I went to local cruise ins and shows to get some ideas. Everytime I saw a nicely done one it was from this shop so I made the decision. He's just a small family business but they've had 2 Riddler award winners.

Headliner, door panels, kick panels, console surround, seat base and seats are all done in leather. I had them perforate a hide with a diamond pattern for the seats center section. He used some of it in the door panels and middle, fold down armrest as well. He carried the rolled bead pattern from the doors into the kick panels and door panels too for a nice touch. The rear window surround is inset into the liner so that it lays flush as well.

The Seat I used originally was straight across the back and it covered most of the rear window. I told him I wanted them rounded, evenly and drew a pattern. When he was ready, I cut the frames lower and sectioned them to the rounded pattern. Took LOTS of pie cuts and welding as its a pretty wild S bent piece so that it won't cut the material and pull easily. It was like chopping a top on a car but I got it and he was REAL happy when he saw it. With the way he covered it it turned out great.

There are some in progress pics in my album if you want to see it coming together.

Thanks again to all of those here who answered my questions and gave advice. You guys saved me a lot of mistakes and am grateful to you for that.

Default Subtle touches...

I would have taken the truck as it was before. This does look nice. He did a great job.

Henry

Beautiful work Kevin.

Thanks guys,means a lot to me. Spent some time cleaning it up today and took some more pics. I'm doing a stocker next.

Default And AGAIN...

Thanks guys,means a lot to me. Spent some time cleaning it up today and took some more pics. I'm doing a stocker next.

Hello Kevin. Had to bring your pride and joy to the top of the section again. http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

Not sure if you've seen his work but "bam55" has been working his Chevy pickup, in leave no stone unturned like you. He just posted some updated pics in Classic Restos (pre 1970) of the main forum. Both of you share like DNA in what you do. So proud of both of you guys.

Henry

Hello Kevin. Had to bring your pride and joy to the top of the section again. http://imageevent.com/kevininohio?n=0

Not sure if you've seen his work but "bam55" has been working his Chevy pickup, in leave no stone unturned like you. He just posted some updated pics in Classic Restos (pre 1970) of the main forum. Both of you share like DNA in what you do. So proud of both of you guys.

Henry
    Henry,
    Thought you might like to see this. Drove to a Show in Rising Sun, Indiana which is about 100 miles for me and a guy wanted to do a video feature of it. We drove along the Ohio river and the road was heaved all over the place and you'll see us getting thrown around in the cab some. LOL Been doing quite a few shows and drive to all of them. Just enjoying it to put it simple. Great to see people's reaction and facial expressions on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfqwasK8Cz4

Henry,
    Thought you might like to see this. Drove to a Show in Rising Sun, Indiana which is about 100 miles for me and a guy wanted to do a video feature of it. We drove along the Ohio river and the road was heaved all over the place and you'll see us getting thrown around in the cab some. LOL Been doing quite a few shows and drive to all of them. Just enjoying it to put it simple. Great to see people's reaction and facial expressions on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfqwasK8Cz4

Kevin, every time I see this resto I'm amazed at what a beautiful job you have done. I may have forgotten but is there a web site where a lot of the steps in the restoration can be seen?

Default GREAT!!!

Just outstanding I have to tell you again on the DODGE!!! Was nice to ride around with you as well. Felt like I was in the cab with you guys.

I really love that new photo of the rear - right side. That paint presents itself over the top.

Are those new tires on the truck? The tread looks a little different? Again, thanks for thinking of us. So glad you drop in with updates. A real inspiration for so many out there. Take care and enjoy!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Kevin, every time I see this resto I'm amazed at what a beautiful job you have done. I may have forgotten but is there a web site where a lot of the steps in the restoration can be seen?

Here is the link to the Picture page and build. You may have to scroll down a ways to see those albums as I have a lot of pics of other stuff on there.

Thanks for all the help, supplies and advice you and others gave during the build. I appreciate that a LOT.

Just outstanding I have to tell you again on the DODGE!!! Was nice to ride around with you as well. Felt like I was in the cab with you guys.

I really love that new photo of the rear - right side. That paint presents itself over the top.

Are those new tires on the truck? The tread looks a little different? Again, thanks for thinking of us. So glad you drop in with updates. A real inspiration for so many out there. Take care and enjoy!

Henry
    The tires are the same ones and they are showing some wear. I have about 9000 miles on the truck now. I did the Dayton, Ohio Concours d'Elegance today and came home with Best of Class. The truck has done extremely well over the years and closing in on 100 awards. Lots of shows around here don't have Best of Shows anymore but I've gotten 42 of those that do. I astonishes me how the truck crosses all ages, races sexes and taste's. People come up and say that trucks aren't my thing but I really like yours. Things have snowballed and getting invited to a lot of shows now by promoters. Plan on doing a few indoor ones in the Winter but want to drive there. Weather will decide whether I go or not.

I truely thank all of the people that helped answer my newbie questions and to you for the encouragement and kind words. Having compliments on here/at shows from builders and painters who do this for a living means the world to me. I tell people all the time that "little guys" can do it to and try to pass that encouragement on to others.

Joe Nuxall Miracle fields benefit show.

Getting a Veterans choice award which meant a lot to me.