TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 04 dodge ram quarter rust

Default 04 dodge ram quarter rust

I saw a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab for sale a few months back. It had a large amount of rust above the rear wheels, both sides. Rest of the truck looked perfect. I took interest and some mild concern because the truck was optioned almost exactly like mine. It didn't look like it originated at the wheel lip... it was much higher than that. Very odd I thought, must be an anomaly. I figured I was safe from this, since 2 days after I bought mine new, I installed a bed liner and a hard bed cover. Shouldn't be any rain pouring into the bed sides causing issues.

Well washed mine this past weekend... and I find two bubbles the size of a pencil eraser, located a couple inches above the wheel well.

I bought it Dec 2004, so its not even 7 years old. I immediately look for my warranty on corrosion, only to find its long expired (only covered for 3 years). I then web search for rust and dodge ram, and confirm that its not an anomaly at all ...rather its a epidemic! Lots of complaints, and unfortunately just about as many reported denials from Dodge to warranty or recall repair the issue.

I can't see how far progressed the rust is w/o cutting steel, and by that time I'm committed. Anyone end up with one of these in their shop yet? Is anyone making replacement panels?

Hello. I have put partials on a few of these trucks, they worked out pretty good. There's a tight trap between the inner and outer wheel wells. If you can see small bubbles don't assume they're localized, you'll likely use most of the replacement panel. Hope it helps.

Default Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by RmK View Post
    Hello. I have put partials on a few of these trucks, they worked out pretty good. There's a tight trap between the inner and outer wheel wells. If you can see small bubbles don't assume they're localized, you'll likely use most of the replacement panel. Hope it helps.
    Glad you joined us. That's good information you gave and oh so true on so many vehicles.
    Are you working on the truck or other project? Let us know and welcome again. Henry

Sorry, I should have introduced myself. My name is Randy, I work in eastern Ontario, I've been doing this for 19 years. I work in a 3 man shop, I'm the bodyman. Youi're right, most vehicles have traps that build up in a short time. Here knowing a certain panel that looks okay will perforate with the unispotter can save alot of grief down the road. Many people still believe that a bubble is just paint or "just surface rust" but in Ontario that's usually not the case. I'm not sure who makes those partials, but they fit good and seemed heavy enough. The last one we did needed both sides and one boxside had been replaced sometime in past. 03 Hemi 4x4 needed rockers fixed too!