TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My newest project...

Default Pisses me off big time...

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post

My truck is a salvage title, so I'll need to have it inspected once completed. Alabama has what's called an anti-theft inspection. They require notarized bills of sale and VIN's for used parts. They check for proper VINs on the vehicle and to make sure the air bag system is functional. That's about it. In order to have a vehicle inspected here, you must have a dealers/rebuilder's license. The inspected vehicle then gets a 'rebuilt' title.

No pictures today...my phone battery was dead. I'll snap a few tomorrow.

SamG
    And always will, the fact that if this were a 2011 and the insurance said fix it, it would be fixed with the same structural damage but NO REBUILT TITLE.

I can see inspection because salvage vehicles land in the hands of others than licensed shops. But after the inspection there should not be any branding of the title. It's a double standard due to age/$$ of the vehicle. Bunch of BS by lawmakers who know nothing.

Sam, what happened to the PT Cruiser you did? Good work by the way (as usual).

Also, I love owning a fleet of car/trucks I couldn't afford to buy and make payments for all at the same time. Henry

I agree on the title branding issue.

The former politician who got that legislation passed in Alabama is, guess what???? A new car dealer!!!

He's from right here in my hometown. What's bad is he sold probably dozens of these rebuilt wrecks as 'little old ladies cars' back in the seventies...it's part of what made him a wealthy man.

If you pay attention to Alabama news, he's been indicted in a gambling vote-buying scandal. I'm not saying he's guilty, but it doesn't look good.

He's done a lot of good things for the school I work for, but he's always looked out for himself and the dollar.

The PT Cruiser I built is racking up miles as we speak. It turned out pretty good. It was really a pretty lite wreck...hit anything more than a cat and it ruins the intake manifold (ha).

I've got the rocker welded into my truck. I would have at least all my joint's filled and primed, but blew a capacitor on my compressor over the weekend and had to wait for today to get parts. I went to TSC yesterday and bought a cheap 26 gallon compressor to get me by, but it didn't even do that. I guess I'll give it to the wife for airing up the tires in the mowers. It can be part of her lawn care business (she just retired from teaching and started a little business)

I went out tonite and fixed the compressor (hooray) and finished the filler work on the cab corner. Wiped the center post and rocker and came back to the house. It's almost too dang hot to work. It was bumping 95 in the shop at 7:30 pm and about 1000% humidity. I'll grab a few more pictures once I get it jamb painted and hang the doors. Once that's done, I should be on the home stretch. I hope to get it painted around July 04. I've got next week and the week after off.

Thanks for the compliments

SamG

We got some rain this afternoon which knocked the temp down for a little while. I went out and finished grinding some welds on the rear body panel and finished up my filler work on all the joints. Tomorrow I'll start masking for primer and paint on the jambs. then it's sand, sand, sand...

I left my phone/camera at work, so no pictures...I'll grab a few tomorrow.

SG

Default Progress made...

I missed out on taking pictures after the jambs were completed. Here's where I am now:

Truck is jambed and reassembled. I still need to final tweak the fit of the doors, but they're already better than the other (unwrecked) side. I set the pickup box back on to find that it lines up perfectly both height-wise and side-side, so no problems there. I decided to try Matrix color and am quite pleased with it so far. I set the box back off and prepped/sprayed the inside today using about 14 ounces of paint (before reduction). It was only 1 good coat (it has a drop in liner and tonneau cover). I'll paint the outside of the box and the cab separately. Between the two toning and sheer size of this thing, it's too much to do in one session. Especially in this heat.

I've finished all the bodywork (truck had several dings/scrapes on the other side) and the used box had 3-4 hours damage on the right side.

I'm going out of town for a few days, so I hope to get the truck painted when I get back. I've got a buddy who paints that is off next week, I may ask if he wants to spray it for me (he's a night owl). That will free me up during the daytime hours to help out another friend on his Impala project (2010 Impala blasted in the side, already replaced the front subframe; needs front hinge pillar and rocker section replaced)

I found one pic of the cab corner cut out I don't think I had posted.

These summer days are pretty rough on this fat boy, btw. I got my best/most work done over this last weekend (working during the night hours while it's a little cooler).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SamG; 06-29-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Default Really quick...

Quick job on this one Sam. Usually when they're for us they sit much longer. That cab pic looks good.
    Not sure I could 'let' someone else paint it since that's the reward for me. Enjoy your weed away and stop forgetting the camera. Later. Henry

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Quick job on this one Sam. Usually when they're for us they sit much longer. That cab pic looks good.
    Not sure I could 'let' someone else paint it since that's the reward for me. Enjoy your weed away and stop forgetting the camera. Later. Henry
    Henry .i didn't know Sam enjoyed WEED .LOL

Mooch

LOL@ Mooch....Just leave it up to those RV Park hippies to think of weed!

On the painting, Melvyn paints at least as well as I do, just with less effort. He's very patient when/where I am not. He enjoys painting in the wee hours of the morning when the rest of us are snoozing.

I'd much rather spend my time cutting/bending/pushing/welding than painting. Oh, and I forgot, I've got family coming into town this weekend, so it may get pushed back another day or two.

I've been 'pushing' on this one because I have momentum on my side right now.

SamG

I've had the truck painted for about a week now. It turned out OK. Not great but OK. The clear had a little more texture than I would have liked but it looks fine. I did notice cat footprints on it this morning. I guess it's time to get out my BB gun.

I'll try to get pics up in a day or so. I've been busy on another project and haven't had time to finish and clean up the truck. I installed the fiberglass tonneau cover Sunday afternoon and haven't touched it since.

SamG

Default You'll be sorry...

I've had the truck painted for about a week now. It turned out OK. Not great but OK. The clear had a little more texture than I would have liked but it looks fine. I did notice cat footprints on it this morning. I guess it's time to get out my BB gun.

I'll try to get pics up in a day or so. I've been busy on another project and haven't had time to finish and clean up the truck. I installed the fiberglass tonneau cover Sunday afternoon and haven't touched it since.

SamG
    if you shoot the car while it's ON the truck.
    Who did the paint, you or your buddy? You can always Sure Finish the surface. Later. Henry

SamG
    Did you ever touch it again

You're getting pretty good at resurrecting these old threads.

Yes, I've been driving it for a few years. Just last night in fact. I hired out the paint work, and while it's acceptable, it's just barely.

Just stepped out the back door and snapped a pic...it's hiding behind the brown Taurus

20190609_134140.jpg

I just purchased a wrecked late model Explorer and started on it last night. 2017 with 4k miles on it. I don't think it'll be too bad. Some of the new parts are pretty expensive though. I'll probably do some parts shopping before I get too involved.

photo1.jpg

Default Keep us updated, please...

[QUOTE=SamG;373205]You're getting pretty good at resurrecting these old threads.

Yes, I've been driving it for a few years. Just last night in fact. I hired out the paint work, and while it's acceptable, it's just barely.

Just stepped out the back door and snapped a pic...it's hiding behind the brown Taurus

20190609_134140.jpg

I just purchased a wrecked late model Explorer and started on it last night. 2017 with 4k miles on it. I don't think it'll be too bad. Some of the new parts are pretty expensive though. I'll probably do some parts shopping before I get too involved.

samG.jpg

Used to love all the vehicles you worked on. The Mustangs were a treat to many and done to absolute perfection.

That Taurus looks silver (never mind; I just saw the other one) and with the spoiler, I'm guessing an SHO.

Best to you and thanks for checking in.

Henry

Trying to get the pic straight:

Guess I can't. Sorry for the duplicates.

Yes Henry, it's a 2010 SHO. I've owned a 92 5speed, a 95 automatic, and a 99 v8 model (least favorite). I really like this one. I'm probably going to have to replace the PTU, as it chatters at low speeds. I replaced the radiator support, headlights, front bumper/grille, cooling on that one.

The brown Taurus is a high mileage unit I bought cheap enough to part out. I repaired it with a rear bumper assembly. Kinda crazy. Someone had already replaced the deck lid then apparently the insurance company pulled the plug. I welded up a couple of pencil eraser-sized holes in the rear body panel and painted the bumper and deck lid. Been driving it since.

I never have finished the Taurus I bought back in 17. I got back on it last week and should knock it out in the next couple months. Sectioning the right quarter and replacing the trunk floor and rear rails (sections).

I've got a new job that's kicking my tail. I'm going to try to put in about 3 more years than hang it up (my paying job).

SamG