TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newest project...

Default My newest project...

I picked up this light wreck today.

I've been looking for a replacement for my '03 F150 I rebuilt 5 or 6 years ago.

I was watching another couple of trucks sell and this one was a late addition to the sale. Drove it about an hour home. Got plenty of funny looks on the way

2006 with 25k miles; 5.4L 2wd; Lariat

Needs 2 doors, centerpost/cab corner (side panel), and pickup box. I found a perfect pair of doors and box locally for 2 grand. It's actually a little worse than it looks in this picture.

Got a couple more projects to finish up, then I'll start on this one. I'll try to make myself snap pictures throughout the process.

SamG

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    It's actually a little worse than it looks in this picture.
    SamG
    Not to me, I can see plenty!

Brian

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

How much will it cost to fix that one ?

Mooch

Mooch,

Depending on how many 'unseens' I run into, looks like I'll have somewhere between 11 and 12k invested. Plus my labor, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    Mooch,

Depending on how many 'unseens' I run into, looks like I'll have somewhere between 11 and 12k invested. Plus my labor, of course.
    And if you give yourself more than $2 an hour you'll have about $20K.

Brian

There are two things to think about when comparing your own labor on your own project with working for wages. 1. There are no federal, state or social security taxes to pay on your labor. Those alone often come to over 30%, more if you are in a higher tax bracket. 2. The other thing is that you may not be able to put the time you work on your own project into a paying job. It is often evening time that would be spent watching TV and not bringing in money.

Bob K

Bob hit the nail on the head...if I'm out in the shop working, that means I'm not in here on the computer playing Black Ops...

at least it is a newer car with no rusty bolts and high resale value ..and gap tolerances are quite flexible.....good luck with this one, sam g....

I got started on my truck...removed the pickup box and two doors. The center post had to be pulled out and forward as well as the cab corner. The rocker was in amazingly good shape, just pushed in a little, mostly on the back corner.

I finished stripping the interior (minus headliner) yesterday and removed the rocker panel and cab corner after making a couple of pulls. I hope to work a little this evening and finish trimming my parts for initial fitment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sam
    Did you price getting a used cab, maybe one that was hit in the nose and cutting it up for parts. It just looks like a lot of straightening from here.

What I've purchased is a used uniside. There will be a step joint on in the front door hole and up high on the center post and rear cab corner.

I'll try to grab a picture of my parts before I trim any more off of them. .

I didn't get a chance to work any last night. My wife had been out of town for a few days, so we went out for dinner and didn't return home until late.

Sam, thats the kind of bodywork that I really prefer to do. When doing bodywork for a living there seems to be more money in repairing fender benders, but the real bodywork is where its at for me. I have an '07 F150 4x4 XLT ext. cab that I am very happy with. Gas mileage kind of sucks (14 to 16 mpg, city/hwy - 5.4 auto). Is your '06 a clear title or a salvage title ? Are you going to replace the whole box/bed or reside the one you have ?
    Last edited by Phil V; 06-11-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Phil, I'm with you. I enjoy medium-to-heavy structural work. The one thing I dislike is full-frame work. So when buying trucks, I usually try to look for localized or little/no frame damage.

I've put 70k trouble free miles on my 03 Supercrew since rebuilding it. Only gripes I have are gas mileage (about 15/mixed driving), and brake rotors that seem to warp too easily.

I bought a very nice used box for a grand. 500 apiece for nice used doors. 500 for a used uniside. I found a used front door panel on eBay for 85; still looking for a rear, and that'll be the last of my parts purchases. I'll probably dye the gray panel I got with the door until I find the correct color.

I got the uniside up into place last night. I hung the doors this evening and they closed with a nice 'click-click'. Looks like this is going to be an easy one. I've got just a little clean-up and light trimming, then I'll be ready to start welding.

My truck is a salvage title, so I'll need to have it inspected once completed. Alabama has what's called an anti-theft inspection. They require notarized bills of sale and VIN's for used parts. They check for proper VINs on the vehicle and to make sure the air bag system is functional. That's about it. In order to have a vehicle inspected here, you must have a dealers/rebuilder's license. The inspected vehicle then gets a 'rebuilt' title.

No pictures today...my phone battery was dead. I'll snap a few tomorrow.

SamG

I did get a chance to snap a few pictures. I get carried away while working and simply forget.

I got the rocker/centerpost/cab corner into place and roughly aligned. Hung the doors and was very surprised at how well everything fit. I've done a little more trimming and will get everything cleaned up then welded this weekend.

SamG
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats the kind of work I always liked doing, been thinking of doing a newer car just haven't had time to look