TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: shooting gel coat...

Cool shooting gel coat...

what size of tip is used on the gun,do you recommend a particular gun?

Dan

Just curious, what are you going to spray gel coat on and why did you choose that over paint?

To your question, 2.2mm minimum 2.5 to 3.5 better choice, and I wouldn’t use my favorite gun. I haven’t sprayed it. I mix small batches for boat repair and brush or stick apply (chip repair). You can experiment with covering the repair with stiff plastic film for smooth surface to remove brush marks.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
    what size of tip is used on the gun,do you recommend a particular gun?

Dan
    google a 2.5mm tip gun
    [SIGPIC]

I purchased a asturo gravity gun with a 2.2 tip for shooting sandable gel coat.The gun is a conventional instead of hvlp.The gun is only about 80.00.I mix the gelcoat with duratec high gloss additive.70% gelcoat 30 % duratec. The gun model is an E70.This gun is awsome for the price.45to 55 psi at the gun with trigger pulled.Clean with acetone pronto after shooting gel coat.

How did the gel coat turn out?

So far this gun has worked great for gelcoat.The last coat of gel-coat has to be cut and buffed just like clear coat tho.A cadillac gel gun is C.A Technology`s J 100 series with thier 2.8 tip set.This gun averages around 280.00.My asturo e 70 shoots gel great for an 80.00 gun tho.

Quote Originally Posted by r hamilton View Post
    So far this gun has worked great for gelcoat.The last coat of gel-coat has to be cut and buffed just like clear coat tho.A cadillac gel gun is C.A Technology`s J 100 series with thier 2.8 tip set.This gun averages around 280.00.My asturo e 70 shoots gel great for an 80.00 gun tho.
    I think any gun with the correct tip size can be used to shoot gel coat. I would look for a gun that is easy to clean because the gell can be difficult to remove from some guns. Also a gun that parts are available because seals may take an little more wear from cleaning methods and chemicals.

Default Why Gelcoat?

"Just curious, what are you going to spray gel coat on and why did you choose that over paint?"

Some restorers of early Corvettes fix all the cracks with Fusor 100 and then when it's all smooth, they shoot the car with gelcoat. Supposed to stop read-through of repairs. Poorly made Cobras need the mold seams fixed by grinding off all the gelcoat to get the voids.