TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Bumper straightening

Default Bumper straightening

Pushed in the front right corner chrome metal bumper on my truck last week when I drove into a concrete pole.

Normally wouldn't worry about it because cosmetically it's not that noticeable, but the push put the bumper where it now butts up against and touches the steel bar reinforcement behind the bumper. These are both metal so I'm concerned that over time, the metal on metal contact will cause one or both to rust. I'd like to avoid them rusting!

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, can I just get a couple of friends to help me to manually pull that corner of the bumper away from the steel reinforcement bar? Will this work okay or will it do more harm than good and I should instead take truck to a body shop where they can pull it out a bit so the two metals aren't touching. Thanks for any advice.

What is the year, make and model of the truck ? Wouldn't it make more sense to just replace the bumper with a new one or a good rust free used bumper ? If you're not worried about the bumper being beat up from the outside (the chrome has to damaged on the outside of the bumper from the concrete pole) and bent up then why would you worry about the inside surface of the bumper ?

I'm concerned about the inside because I would prefer not to have structural parts of the vehicle such as the bumper reinforcement rusted through.

As far as the outside of the bumper, believe it or not, it was just scratched. I took some wax to it to clean the outside up and then added a little silver touch up paint and from the outside it really doesn't look bad.

But rust is not just a cosmetic problem. I would prefer not to have structural problems.

It's a Nissan Frontier and a new bumper itself will cost a lot of money. Plus add to that the cost of the body shop to remove the old bumper and put on the new one. That's why I'd like to be able to just pull out that corner of the bumper rather than replace it. But the issue is will pulling it out say an inch negatively affect the bumper (weaken it)?

Quote Originally Posted by longhorncutlass View Post
    I'm concerned about the inside because I would prefer not to have structural parts of the vehicle such as the bumper reinforcement rusted through.

As far as the outside of the bumper, believe it or not, it was just scratched. I took some wax to it to clean the outside up and then added a little silver touch up paint and from the outside it really doesn't look bad.

But rust is not just a cosmetic problem. I would prefer not to have structural problems.

It's a Nissan Frontier and a new bumper itself will cost a lot of money. Plus add to that the cost of the body shop to remove the old bumper and put on the new one. That's why I'd like to be able to just pull out that corner of the bumper rather than replace it. But the issue is will pulling it out say an inch negatively affect the bumper (weaken it)?
    You obviously don't live in the rust belt here in Michigan. According to my parts book there is no front bumper reinforcement, just a bumper reinforcement bracket on the left and right side of the bumper which is safe in assuming attach to the both sides of the front frame rails.
    The bumper brackets/reinforcements are bolted directly to the chrome bumper so they are automatically metal on metal from the factory. If that bumper was pushed back an inch on one corner then logically the end of the chrome bumper should be rubbing against the front fender.

I guess the bottom line to your question is no one can give you definitive answer without actually seeing the damage (preferably in person but some pictures of the damage would help). Without actually seeing the damage its possible that "little inch" that the corner is kicked in could actually be that corner frame rail jambed back an inch, which would be considered structural damage.

My cost on a brand new 1998 - 2000 chrome front bumper is less than a hundred dollars and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to change the bumper.

How do you plan on pulling that corner of the bumper ahead an inch without going to far or not far enough ? If you brought the truck to me I would push the corner back out with a 4 ton hydraulic porto-power, which if you take it to a body shop they will probably charge you close to hundred dollars just to do that.(which would pay for a brand new bumper instead).

Phil, thanks for the info. I live in Texas. The cost of the bumper itself would be less than the labor charge for removing the bumper. I don't have the proper tools, nor do I know where all of the attaching points are so while I would like to be able to remove the bumper myself, I don't think it's an option for me. When I said reinforcement, I was just using a generic term, I don't know what Nissan calls that part. It's basically a steel bar that mounts behind the chrome outer bumper to give it strength. I've looked at the damage on the inside from the front wheel well and it appears the frame and end cap/bracket of the frame are straight (the damaged side looks like the undamaged side), so that should be fine. The hit simply pushed the chrome bumper on the right side of the vehicle in a bit so that it now touches the steel bar that's mounted behind the outer bumper. I was wondering if I and a couple of buddies could just grab the bumper with our hands and pull it out a bit. The bumper on the damaged side is about two inches from the tire as opposed to the bumper on the undamaged side which is a good three to four inches from the tire on that side.

You could even take a 36 pipe wrench and grab the end of the bumper and probably pull it out your self with out help. Just slip a little piece of wood between the jaws and the chrome to prevent scratching it. Watch carefully when you pull so you can notice if you are starting to do more damage.

Bob K

Dont know if this is what your looking for but when a lady backed into my grandpa she bent his bumper so it was touching his back fender and he didnt like that so we took a tow strap and tied one end to the damaged side of the bumper then the other end to a tree and had somebody watch as he slowly drove forward to bend it back out. Looked pretty good considering.